PDA

View Full Version : Anyone DD'ing their 2011+ GT in the winter? How is it holding up rust/paint/body?

Nate_V8
09-23-2019, 10:28 AM
So my new to me 2017 GT will be used this winter, in the process of getting 18" steels and winter tires.

Just wondering how 2011+ body has been holding up to winter crap and salt. I was thinking about getting a car cover as I won't be driving it everyday but then it might freeze to the car ( sits out in a parking lot) and was debating oil spraying also. I'm assuming the 2011+ mustangs (or most cars really) are very resistant to rust? Do you just take it to the car wash once every few weeks?

Thanks

mavrrrick
09-23-2019, 10:40 AM
I would get it Krown'd and go to power wash once a week (on warmer sunny days) and spray off salt. JMO

fast Ed
09-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Just as a side note, I don't think that you'll find any steel wheels that go over the 2015+ GT brakes. There are lots of reasonable cost 18" alloy options though.

cheers
Ed

Chinga
09-23-2019, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't bother with a car cover for the reason you stated plus you would have to clean the car before placing it back on. Rust proofing and a good rinse now and then should suffice. Don't know your living arrangements but if I could I'd look for a garage or underground spot nearby you could rent. Even had a local Church with an attached building for Seniors that rented out their spots for $50/month.

FABMAN
09-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Just as a side note, I don't think that you'll find any steel wheels that go over the 2015+ GT brakes. There are lots of reasonable cost 18" alloy options though.

cheers
Ed

Agreed, likely will need to go with 19" and if you do that then I would suggest using your OEM wheels with proper snows mounted. Then buy a more aggressive (wider) 19" set for summer use. LMR has some really nice options at a reasonable cost for 19x10 & 19x11" setups that come with TPMS, tires and are all lighter than OEM as they are flow forged.

Ponyryd
09-23-2019, 11:37 AM
As stated do not use a cover, you will do more damage than good and it will be a horrible experience for you, trust me.
But yes, modern cars rust and rot just like the old stuff, it can be curbed by using a drip-style oil spray/rustproofing, hitting a touchless carwash with underbody spray at least once a week, or both. The petro carwash card is great for this.

NickD
09-23-2019, 01:36 PM
I drove my 18 eco last year and have yet to notice even a trace of rust.
If you don't have the performance pack 6 pistons 18" fit. I found a set of new takeoff stock ford wheels for a great deal and mounted x-ice tires

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ZR
09-23-2019, 06:06 PM
After my issues with Krown, switched to Corrosion Free for the Ram. Still too early to tell how it'll work out long term but pleased how well it's stayed in placed after a full winters use.

Nate_V8
09-23-2019, 08:22 PM
After my issues with Krown, switched to Corrosion Free for the Ram. Still too early to tell how it'll work out long term but pleased how well it's stayed in placed after a full winters use.

You had problems with krown? What is corrosion free?

Nate_V8
09-23-2019, 08:24 PM

cheers
Ed

I took a look online and found a few 18" steelies, said they fit. If I can find low cost 18" alloy that would be great but I haven't found anything less than 800 bucks. Which isn't reasonable lol

Gr8Stang
09-23-2019, 09:45 PM
If you can swing it, by a cheap winter beater and park the GT for the winter. If not, get some type of rust protection....to help slow the inevitable rusting that will happen over time being exposed to our lousy, over zealous salt applications.

Ponyryd
09-23-2019, 10:48 PM

I’ve seen it offered at Canadian Tire service dept. Personally I buy a rust protection spray from Benson auto and do my own cars every year, I think it’s $60 or so for a jug, I dilute it a bit and can do almost 3 cars.

ZR
09-23-2019, 11:07 PM

In my wifes car, has eaten all of the rubber door, hatch and hood seals.
My former pickup, caused electrical issues related to the fuel gauge n fuel pump.
Both cases, Krown told me to pound salt. Telling them the same when it comes where I'll spend another dime.

Scrape
09-24-2019, 06:54 AM
I second the recommendation of Corrosion Free. Searched on Corrosion Free's website and came up with quite a few locations in your area. https://corrosionfree.com/find-a-dealer/

True Blue
09-24-2019, 08:12 AM
If you can swing it, by a cheap winter beater and park the GT for the winter.

I agree!

stangstevers
09-24-2019, 08:51 AM
+1 for the beater, I loved my G37x in the winter, plenty of power and AWD made the commute more fun than worrying about spinning out in a RWD sports car.

Otherwise, good winter tires is a must. Not a Mustang but our 2016 Edge has no rust under it, just the exhaust hangers seem to have some rust. Otherwise the body looks mint. I think Ford has gone a long ways from the 80's shitboxes we once had as daily drivers. lol

Nate_V8
09-24-2019, 02:45 PM
A winter beater is not an option right now or else I wouldn't have asked about winter driving the s550. I have my wife's car if she's not using it which is most of the time but there will be a few days a month where I'll need to take the 2017. it's law to have proper winter tires in quebec and considering the car I wouldn't be caught dead without them law or not.

I'll take a look at rust proofing options.

Scrape
09-24-2019, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't go with steelies at all. For that size they steel will be really heavy and kill you on gas I am sure. I have no hard evidence on this but steelies are way heavier than alloys. Also you want to be able to spray down the brakes.

Nate_V8
09-26-2019, 01:38 PM
found these.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-pneus-jantes/longueuil-rive-sud/mag-et-pneu/1462162590?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

oem rims and like new x ice 2 tires. Seems worth it

Nate_V8
09-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Hmmm silly question but does anyone know if any ford 18" 5x114.3" rim will fit?

The tires in the link are only 7/32, no way were they used 2 months, maybe he meant 2 years lol.

fast Ed
09-26-2019, 03:22 PM
There are no OEM Ford (or aftermarket that I'm aware of) STEEL wheels that clear the 2015+ GT brakes. Any of the OEM alloy 18" wheels for the S550 will fit, you see those for sale used at times like the ones you found on kijiji.

Nate_V8
09-26-2019, 03:48 PM
I may just offer 700 bucks for the rims and tires. x ice 2 don't wear fast and I won't be driving it that much, I can get better tires next winter

F1Fan
12-02-2019, 10:28 PM
I am going to run my 2019 GT this winter also. I have a square setup of rims with snows on the car now so I can keep driving it.
I have read things which suggest that even with all the prep one can do to store a car, the period of non use will take its toll in other ways. Besides, life is to short not to enjoy my purchase. I continue to see so many other high end, powerful cars on the roads all winter so why not a GT?
On the real heavy snow days I do have my Hyundai to fall back on, but the clear days I’ll be in my Mustang. After all, I drove my 1989 Fox body through 10 winters with no stability control, no traction control, or “snow/rain” drive modes. And when I finally sold that car it had so little rust on it, it wasn’t worth mentioning.

F1Fan
12-02-2019, 10:34 PM
I would get it Krown'd and go to power wash once a week (on warmer sunny days) and spray off salt. JMO

Krown damaged my fuel tank pressure sensor and Ford would not pony up (see what I did there!) under warranty as they said the Krown product damaged it. They say they see that a lot. Car was three months old and cost me almost $600 out of my pocket.
Never doing Krown again!

Gr8Stang
12-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Krown damaged my fuel tank pressure sensor and Ford would not pony up (see what I did there!) under warranty as they said the Krown product damaged it. They say they see that a lot. Car was three months old and cost me almost $600 out of my pocket.
Never doing Krown again!

Did you consult Krown (head office) about Ford's claim and cost for you to repair? If so, I suppose they dismissed it as not their problem/didn't believe it.

In my own experience, I've applied Krown to several of my DD's without issue....

- - - Updated - - -

Never doing Krown again!

Did you consult Krown (head office) about Ford's claim and cost for you to repair? If so, I suppose they dismissed it as not their problem/didn't believe it.

In my own experience, I've applied Krown to several of my DD's without issue....

Gr8Stang
12-09-2019, 02:43 PM
I am going to run my 2019 GT this winter also. I have a square setup of rims with snows on the car now so I can keep driving it.
I have read things which suggest that even with all the prep one can do to store a car, the period of non use will take its toll in other ways. Besides, life is to short not to enjoy my purchase. I continue to see so many other high end, powerful cars on the roads all winter so why not a GT?
On the real heavy snow days I do have my Hyundai to fall back on, but the clear days I’ll be in my Mustang. After all, I drove my 1989 Fox body through 10 winters with no stability control, no traction control, or “snow/rain” drive modes. And when I finally sold that car it had so little rust on it, it wasn’t worth mentioning.

I think the new brine they put down is a lot more deadly for rust then even traditional salt. Would highly recommend you find a rust proofing product to help protect your ride...and its resale value. Driving on dry road days should help negate some of the effect.

And agree with you that having the car idle for a few months is not the best either, as they are designed to be driven.

JonsMustang
12-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Been driving mines since late 2013 to present. No rust, no issues, sway bushings about to go....other than that, smacked on winters and shes good to go for another winter. Got me self used 2014 GT Track pack wheels for $400 on kijiji with TPMS.
2013 GT.

F1Fan
12-09-2019, 09:36 PM
I “Rust Check”ed my 1989 5.0 twice. First and third years, nothing after that. 10 winters later sold it with a few tiny spots of rust. And I believe that cars are even better built now as far as rust goes. You just don’t see rust heaps on the road like you use to. Maybe I’m wrong but what the hell, I’m driving it.

I’ve still got my Sonata for the days when there’s a major storm.
Even the Hyundai has only now started to show a few spots of rust and I never treated it in 12 years. I just don’t trust the rust treatments anymore. Even the product mentioned earlier in this tread? I looked at the warranty fine print and they clearly state that sensors and such are not covered. So they know it damages things.
https://corrosionfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Corrosion-Free-Warranty-form_JUN20192-copy.pdf

To be fair, I’m sure many people have not had issues with these treatments, I just don’t trust it after being bitten. I suppose it luck of the draw.

Scrape
12-10-2019, 07:35 AM
I am with you on this.

ZR
12-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Been a yr since the Ram was first sprayed, did a careful look over all the door and hood rubbers etc, can see none of the typical issues I saw with Krown or Rust Check.

Gr8Stang
12-10-2019, 10:33 AM
I “Rust Check”ed my 1989 5.0 twice. First and third years, nothing after that. 10 winters later sold it with a few tiny spots of rust. And I believe that cars are even better built now as far as rust goes. You just don’t see rust heaps on the road like you use to. Maybe I’m wrong but what the hell, I’m driving it.

I’ve still got my Sonata for the days when there’s a major storm.
Even the Hyundai has only now started to show a few spots of rust and I never treated it in 12 years. I just don’t trust the rust treatments anymore. Even the product mentioned earlier in this tread? I looked at the warranty fine print and they clearly state that sensors and such are not covered. So they know it damages things.
https://corrosionfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Corrosion-Free-Warranty-form_JUN20192-copy.pdf

To be fair, I’m sure many people have not had issues with these treatments, I just don’t trust it after being bitten. I suppose it luck of the draw.

Agreed; cars now are definitely better at resisting rust. I apply Krown every other year to my DD's. Until I run into an obvious problem created by it, I'll keep having it applied.

As Mav said earlier...try to get it washed at least once a week to help keep the salt/brine off the car.

Also, great color choice!

F1Fan
12-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Thanks on the color compliment.