PDA

View Full Version : Cigars and Pipes

5.4MarkVIII
09-27-2019, 09:51 PM
Any cigar or pipe guys? Here.

Thinking about a thread for tips tricks or recommendations. For cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco

Just getting into pipes. Picked up my first one last week scored a maybe used once Old Pal Vintage standing pipe for $10 at and antique shop last week on our anniversary trip.
Guy at the shop recommended Solani after burly for a nice medium-full body tobacco and also gave me a sample of an English blend called Cambridge that’s a nice light earthy body

Been smoking cigars for a few years now but usually have a hard time remembering what I have tried and liked. Should start a list.

If you like an infused cigar ACID is a solid choice. Heavy on the sweetness to start but mellows our nicely and has a wide variety of body’s to suit preference.

Also enjoyed some My fathers.

And after a cigar night put on by a local shop and CAO I’m working threw som selections from them and haven’t had a bad one yet

If your looking for cigar reviews and tips I’d recommend Cigar Obsessions on YouTube. Lots of good information and strength no nonsense reviews.

hammerhead
09-28-2019, 07:34 AM
didn't know they still existed - my great grandfather had a corn cob - and he also rolled his own - love the scent of a pipe his brand always had a creamy sort of odour - no idea what it was tho - likely the cheapest around - noticed a few chewers in the country as well don't often see it in the city

5.4MarkVIII
09-28-2019, 08:31 AM
i worked with a guy once that chewed. I cant do it. lol that's just gross.

1986stangfan
09-28-2019, 05:04 PM
I have smoked many cigars, I don’t often keep track of what they are as I am not overly picky.

I haven’t ever smoked a pipe, however my cousins hand makes a lot of custom pipes and has a small business selling them.

5.4MarkVIII
09-28-2019, 05:53 PM
I have smoked many cigars, I don’t often keep track of what they are as I am not overly picky.

I haven’t ever smoked a pipe, however my cousins hand makes a lot of custom pipes and has a small business selling them.

Nice. Thought about trying to make one but too many projects already. He have a web site?

Gabe
09-28-2019, 07:39 PM
Don’t mean for this to be an offside question, but why would you be looking to get into this hobby with all the negative long term consequences?

5.4MarkVIII
09-28-2019, 09:41 PM
A pipe or cigar once a week while not 100% risk free is not the same as cigarettes.

Typically you don’t inhale. So it’s more about taste and ambiance over a nicotine high or need to smoke.

See it more like enjoying a glass of good whisky with friends. Vs drinking a case of crap beer.

92redragtop
09-28-2019, 10:11 PM
Doesn't it increase the risk of oral and throat cancers for non-inhalers? I read pancreatic cancer as well but not sure if it's for inhalers, non-inhalers, or both (a lot of things taken by mouth goes into bloodstream due to thin skin and concentration of blood vessels - especially under the tongue).

5.4MarkVIII
09-28-2019, 10:50 PM
sure there are risks as with most things. alcohol has risks. racing has risks. hell anymore driving to the store has risks. lol.

as long as people are aware of the risks. and take steps to limit use. ect.

92redragtop
09-28-2019, 11:14 PM
sure there are risks as with most things. alcohol has risks. racing has risks. hell anymore driving to the store has risks. lol.

as long as people are aware of the risks. and take steps to limit use. ect.

True - at least you know and can assess what the risk/reward means for you (as even short term use of certain products sets the ball rolling for the next few decades).

Laffs
09-30-2019, 04:00 PM
I'll usually have a couple Aroma De Cubas on the golf course. Just hanging around I'll have My Fathers brand. Cigar Chief is a decent online retailer some of us in the office use. Used to be able to by from the USA and request them to be packed "carefully" and get away with it, now not so much.

ChristenHoer
08-02-2020, 06:19 PM
No doubt, ACID is one most famous infused brands. Though I don't use cigars, but you can consider me a caretaker of cigars, humidors, cutter, lighter and accessories. :D Actually, my dad uses cigars, and my mom has a habit of destroying them whenever she sees them. That's why my dad made me their keeper. According to my dad, no brand has the taste and smell like ACID. By the way, Arturo Fuente is also a good option which is available at all prices. I love its packing.

As compared to cigars, I like their accessories more. Yes, recently, I purchased a leather box for cigars, and now, my dad wants a travel cigar humidor like these (https://smokeprofy.com/reviews/best-travel-cigar-humidors/) for him. He spends most of his money on such things, but still, he is a cool dad. We also have a good collection of vintage humidors, but dad wants a new one for travelling purpose. I am also willing to gift him anything related to cigars for his birthday and thinking to go with a vintage cigar box or humidor. I found these ones on the web, but vintage ones are a little expensive.

https://images-platform.99static.com/N9Hlfhg3-_KCR20s_Yw-kgTccEM=/149x35:1897x1783/fit-in/900x675/99designs-contests-attachments/102/102493/attachment_102493318

https://relicwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Vintage-Map-Desktop-Humidor-Cigar-Box.jpg

https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/photosnew/dealer_mostlyboxes/dealer_mostlyboxes_highres_1413232026398-6377739806.jpg

Or the use of expensive cigars could also be a good idea like these, but I don't think my mother would like it :p

https://www.havanahouse.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/15728674732_596329b883_k-1024x768.jpg

By the way, as a beginner, you can also try Oliva Connecticut Reserve. It is smooth to hold and comes with several brands.