PDA

View Full Version : Career change at 45?

Chinga
10-07-2019, 02:54 PM
I was out with a former co-worker over the weekend and he was recently let go after 16+ years due to the company shutting its doors. He is looking at possibly entering a trade like HVAC, Plumbing or Electrical but has zero experience in these fields and is 45 years old. He is also looking in to getting his D or A licence to bridge the gap for the time being. Anyone here gone through this mid life career change?

Anyone with some insight in how to navigate through the process of getting a foot in the door with trades?

hammerhead
10-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Many Licensed trades are looking for people and will likely not discriminate with age. If he be becomes an apprentice he will be registered as one with Ontario College of Trades, I think usually by the employer. There will also be schooling involved. Some of the trades mentioned are construction related and heavily unionized but there are nonunion places to work - send out resumes to contractors there always looking. I'm a mechanic in the trucking industry - being a driver is very demanding and I think a tough gig - a lot of upfront expense to get your "A". Humber College trains drivers but there are many independent trainers and some companies train drivers. Pay as a truck driver is okay with High Demand and always on the road it's tough - apprentices start out low but potential for large income once licensed is there. trades and trucking is hiring like crazy...

Quicksilver
10-07-2019, 04:13 PM
HVAC, Electrical and plumbing require lots of schooling, an apprenticeship and a license.
Oddly, although a high degree of skill is needed, a good carpenter, with or without a license is always in demand. I simply cannot find enough good carpenters in my business. Anyone with the abilities in their hands to do it should be able to find a good position in my industry.

StAnger
10-07-2019, 04:34 PM
While not a trade, I'm making a career change at 36. So anything is doable.

5.4MarkVIII
10-07-2019, 04:49 PM
there is always work for trades the biggest problem with someone that age is figure 3 to 5 years for a electrical, plumbing, hvac trade. once you licensed then you can make decent money but to do an apprenticeship your starting at the bottom. wage wise and work wise. be prepared to sweep floors and be a gopher for the first couple years minimum.

id recommend looking into Appliance repair. we do not have enough guys, far worse than any other trade currently. its not a red seal trade so all done you really don't need a ticket. ( though some places will want one) But there is no yearly schooling you have to do.
though fully experienced you wont make as much as a plumber or electrician.
but its easy to run your own business if your willing to do warranty work.
there are places in Ontario right now that there are NO appliance service techs at all.

Id recommend checking out The Pre Apprenticeship Training Institute. they have a course that will get anyone ready to step into an appliance repair carrier and also have networks to help with placement as well

Screw
10-07-2019, 07:25 PM
HVAC, Electrical and plumbing require lots of schooling, an apprenticeship and a license.
Oddly, although a high degree of skill is needed, a good carpenter, with or without a license is always in demand. I simply cannot find enough good carpenters in my business. Anyone with the abilities in their hands to do it should be able to find a good position in my industry.

Fak I actually agree lol
A buddy of mine works at a doors & trim co , super busy & always looking for bodies . Some willing to train , shop work & field work .

Laffs
10-07-2019, 08:54 PM
He want to be a flat roofer?

JZ67
10-07-2019, 09:48 PM
not sure if this program helps you out. If it were me I would definitely be looking at the trades.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/second-career

stangstevers
10-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Electrical will take 5 to 6 years of BS to get to the point of making any real money.

But we are in desperate times, there's a huge lack of resources in Canada for construction and thankfully it's not like the trucking industry (yet) where companies are advertising in China and Pakistan to get people to move here and push them into the trucking field with no training or experience, reducing wages for real truckers and providing an awful experience for those who gave up everything to come here (and more accidents on the roads, can't imagine all the house fires we'd get if they did this for electricians).

True Blue
10-08-2019, 09:42 AM
Getting into the trades at 45 yrs old will not be easy on the body, especially starting at the bottom.

stangstevers
10-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Getting into the trades at 45 yrs old will not be easy on the body, especially starting at the bottom.

There's a show about 45 year old changing his career and becoming a police officer. I think I've seen one preview of it.

Screw
10-08-2019, 01:34 PM
We have had a handful of 2Nd career guys early to mid 40’s that have done well , starting pay a little painful though .

newbiestangowner
10-08-2019, 03:00 PM
We have had a handful of 2Nd career guys early to mid 40’s that have done well , starting pay a little painful though .

Sometimes it’s not about the “ money” ... wait did I just say that nonsense lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reggie
10-08-2019, 07:16 PM
We have guys coming onto the fire department in their 40's. An interesting dynamic as a rookie, when there are captains and senior firefighters in their 20's/30's, but the right attitude will succeed.

A few buddies of the same age have gotten on police services as well recently. They are seeking maturity and life experience.

Hard to start at the bottom, bbutit you have 15-20 years to put into a new career. That's still a long time!

Best of luck.

5.4MarkVIII
10-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Ive struggled highering both young and old.

some of the young can be taught easier but tent to be lazier, entitled and more irresponsible

some of the older guys I have hired. were punctual respectful and more responsible. but were difficult to teach as they were set in their ways, and had issues taking direction from a younger boss

on a side note, one of my guys gave his notice yesterday. so we have an opening for a part time delivery/ part time sales. equals full time for someone willing to do both. if you want to work in a tiny rural town for a wage considerably less than you would make in the big city. lol