PDA

View Full Version : Bare Engine Block

redo75
10-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Looking to buy a 5.0l bare engine block.
Any other test that can be performed besides checking bore dia. for size and out of round.
Not too sure if doing a bearing dia. check with no bearing or knowing if proper torquing was performed is valid.
Anybody bought a block and having to trust the seller's word that it is good.
I don't need any more boat ...
Thanks.

ZR
10-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Best to buy hi miler n worn out vs blown up.

redo75
10-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Looks nice clean and shiny with bores like it was freshly returned from machine shop. Why would he put $$ into a piece of junk, unless they found something during the machining. Don't want to find out after so may pass on it

hammerhead
10-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Looks nice clean and shiny with bores like it was freshly returned from machine shop. Why would he put $$ into a piece of junk, unless they found something during the machining. Don't want to find out after so may pass on it

if the bores are shinny it wasn't at the machine shop - bores would be dull looking with cross hatch pattern - will be tough to see cracks maybe look for a complete used engine pulled from a car or at the wreckers

redo75
10-24-2019, 04:03 PM
I think I will stick with what I have now.

redo75
10-25-2019, 12:53 AM
No I just saw that the block I was looking at was a F1SE block. Thicker walls in some places. Not worth it for my use. So will stick to what I have and refresh what is needed.