PDA

View Full Version : A death in the family

Quicksilver
11-21-2019, 10:55 AM
I rarely post much about my personal family, but I feel I must this time.
Last night my father-in-law, Harry Glowinsky, passed away quietly at about 9:30. This coming Sunday would have been his 89th birthday. He leaves my wife Rhonda, his son Shelly, and his wife of 68 years, Sarah, as well as 5 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. .

About 30 years ago he was diagnosed with a non aggressive form of prostate cancer, and at the time his doctors told him to just leave it alone. A couple of years ago, it became more active, and treatments were started.
unfortunately they weren't very successful. Around January of this year he started going downhill, and although at first the progression was slow, it accelerated. Three months ago he was still able to go out, and in fact my son Daniel took him and us out for dinner at the time. Since then, though it became more and more difficult. For the last month or so he was at home, and became bedridden. Monday morning he fell asleep, and had not woken up or eaten since then, until he passed last night. The worst thing was the death watch. I understand this, but when my time comes I don't want this to happen. My mother in law(probably the exact opposite of the stereotype evil mother in law) sat by the bedside all day for days on end, hardly even getting up to go to the bathroom, holding his hand and talking to him, even though he wasn't responding. In Jewish tradition, he could not be left alone, so various family members took to taking turns sleeping there every night.

He was a bit of a character. He loved to tell stories. didn't really matter the topic of conversation. If he thought of a story, usually completely unrelated to the subject at hand, he'd just start right in. He could recall an incident from 70 years ago and repeat those happenings and conversations verbatim, word for word(I think he embellished just a little). His pride and joy were his two great grandchildren, Bina and Louis (Adam and Natalie's kids). He called them his dividends.
Never a car guy, he still listened to me when he asked for advice as to what car to buy. I gave him a "ride" in several of my Mustangs, including one hair-raising epic in my Cobra, and his expression mirrored Henry Ford II's after his ride with Shelby in the movie "Ford Vs Ferrari". Still, he was game, and when I hit 200km, top down, on the 407 he whooped and hollered.

I could go on, but I don't want to bore you about someone you never met. I just wanted to say a little something about him, in memorium, so to speak. He will be missed.

newbiestangowner
11-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
11-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Sorry for your loss.

mavrrrick
11-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Sorry for your loss brother. Lost my dad 10 yrs ago...similar story....My condolences to you and your family.

Das 5.0
11-21-2019, 11:31 AM
My condolences to you and your family. I loved reading that story and always remember his stories from years ago he spoke of -

Old Fart
11-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Sorry for your loss.

92redragtop
11-21-2019, 12:09 PM
So sorry for your loss Steve. My condolences to you and your family. He was Fern's uncle?

Stephen06GT
11-21-2019, 01:14 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

MUSTANGWOP
11-21-2019, 01:22 PM
My condolences to you and your family Steve.

Darkhorse
11-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Sorry to learn of your loss Steve.

Uncle Buck
11-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Condolences to you and yours. Tough days ahead for you but take comfort that he's at peace.

RedSN
11-21-2019, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Steve, Rhonda.

Scrape
11-21-2019, 04:15 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

Gr8Stang
11-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Sounds like he had a pretty good life up until recently. That's all we can hope for. Condolences and sympathies to you and your family. Never easy to lose a loved one.

WidowrRacing
11-21-2019, 06:09 PM
My condolences on your family’s loss.

Armen
11-21-2019, 06:43 PM
My condolences.

shakin
11-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Our condolences to you, Rhonda and the family.

Ghost Rider
11-22-2019, 12:41 AM
Sorry to hear that Steve!

Quicksilver
11-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Yes, he was. Sorry. Missed the quote. see below

Quicksilver
11-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Thank you to everyone. The funeral is today, and I am honoured to be one of the pall bearers.
In Jewish tradition, we will be sitting Shiva for the next week. Rather than a bunch of people sitting around moaning and groaning, family and friends will drop by and regale each other with stories and anecdotes, and in time honoured tradition, we will eat! Friends and family will make sure no one has to do any cooking. Plates and platters and cakes and cookies and pastrami and lox and bagels will all magically appear at the door.
Last night one of my brother in law's good friends cooked a huge dinner for us and even with 15 people there were leftovers.

- - - Updated - - -

So sorry for your loss Steve. My condolences to you and your family. He was Fern's uncle?

Yes, he was.

Scott
11-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Sorry for your loss.

90LXCoupe
11-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Condolences to you and your family. Sounds like a well liked and missed man.

5.4MarkVIII
11-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Love hearing about community’s and groups getting together to support loved ones in rough time.

Small silver lining in a tragic time.

Jack Raccoon!
11-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Steve...