PDA

View Full Version : OHIP changes (as of Jan 1st 2020)

92redragtop
11-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Since year-end is getting closer, just a reminder about OHIP coverage changes if you're travelling outside of Canada in the new year. Review coverage carefully when buying private insurance coverage and you have any pre-existing conditions (usually in the preceding 180 days):

Every Ontarian deserves the opportunity to safely travel abroad. That’s why Ontario’s government is launching a new program to fund out-of-country dialysis services, ensuring that Ontarians living with kidney failure can continue to have access to the care they need when they are travelling outside of Canada.

Starting January 1, 2020, this new program will be operated by the Ontario Renal Network with funding from the Ontario government and patients will receive the same reimbursement rates as currently provided through existing programs.

The launch of the new program to fund out-of-country dialysis services will coincide with the wind down of the limited Out-of-Country Travellers Program. Insured Ontario residents will continue to receive coverage for physician and hospital services when visiting or moving to another Canadian province or territory. Ontarians travelling abroad are encouraged to purchase the appropriate travel insurance coverage in the event emergency health care is needed out of country. Most Ontarians already have travel health insurance through their workplace plans or credit cards.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/outcountry_services.aspx

83 5.0
11-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Never understood why there ever was out of country coverage, always have purchased my own as I don't have benefits with my employer.
I work servicing medical equipment, and see some facilities having to work with some pretty antiquated equipment as they only have an emergency replacement budget in place.