PDA

View Full Version : St Thomas Drag Track

bbriann
11-29-2019, 10:08 PM
This makes me happy....IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE 2020 SCHEDULE AT OUT SISTER TRACK GRAND BEND MOTORPLEX.)
There are basically only 3 dedicated/operational drag facilities in the province and with the way regulations etc are going the chance that anymore will ever get built/approved is limited at best, so we need to invest in the ones we have.

To bring this historic facility up to date, there are substantial improvements planned – Repaving & Grinding of the race surface, updated PA system, Washroom improvements, overall facility cleanup etc.

Stephen06GT
11-29-2019, 10:12 PM
Great news!

bbriann
11-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Yes it is ...I enjoy drive to London Friday going out to bars then Saturday morning early driving half hour to track and racing all day then pitching tent and camping Saturday night and driving back to port elgin....I enjoy

Ponyryd
11-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Yea I heard that on Monday and I forgot to post it. Great news, I much prefer it to Gb.

fast Ed
11-29-2019, 10:33 PM
Good to hear. I haven't been to St. Thomas for years, but definitely prefer it there to Cayuga when wanting to go fast in a straight line for the day.

bbriann
11-29-2019, 10:58 PM
I stopped going Cayuga the year they started using portable out houses only and no showers to wake me up in morning.....

hammerhead
11-29-2019, 11:18 PM
I remember seeing a rail run off the end of the track at St. Thomas many many many years ago when the chute didn't open and it disappear into the corn...it ended good! Been a long time since I've been thru Sparta.

bbriann
01-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Grandbend and St Thomas dragway track Schedules will be out by end January on the same day....I going through 1/4 mile withdrawal
...looking for 10.50 sec pass...then absolutely no more mods...ya right

Speedtospare
01-19-2020, 09:53 PM
I hear you. I miaa my racing. I have been spending most of my time at Shannonville because its close to home.

BOOOSTD
01-21-2020, 11:09 AM
I've heard that the Grand Bend drag strip will be shutting down in 2 years - anyone else hear that? :facepalm:

bbriann
01-21-2020, 01:08 PM
I've heard that the Grand Bend drag strip will be shutting down in 2 years - anyone else hear that? :facepalm:
Not True.......Nasty Rumor....owner clarified/corrected that rumor on facebook link in website..........he hears that stuff every year.

BOOOSTD
01-21-2020, 01:10 PM
Not True.......Nasty Rumor....owner clarified/corrected that rumor on facebook link in website..........he hears that stuff every year.

Thanks for clarifying!....I certainly don’t want to add to the rumor nor do I want to see Grand Bend shut down. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WidowrRacing
01-21-2020, 01:15 PM
I’ve never been to Grand Bend and would like to check it out and make some passes there.

I’m also looking into attending Summit Motorsport park this year October 2-3 for Street Outlaws no prep event.
My son and I watch it religiously and I’ve already booked the time off work to attend.

bbriann
01-21-2020, 01:22 PM
I’ve never been to Grand Bend and would like to check it out and make some passes there.

I’m also looking into attending Summit Motorsport park this year October 2-3 for Street Outlaws no prep event.
My son and I watch it religiously and I’ve already booked the time off work to attend.
Entire Track Surface redone 4 or so years ago.
Best surface around.
Yes Im going watch a No Prep Event this year...tooo scarred to enter..manual transmission wouldn't help...
I believe No Prep at Grandbend takes place at the back road, not on main track.

fast Ed
01-21-2020, 01:30 PM
Any idea what the condition of the road course is like at Grand Bend? Never been to any events there on either track.

1BAD92LX
01-21-2020, 01:50 PM
I was there the end of last August for a drag race weekend. The road course pavement and curbing were in great shape. Track looks like it would be lots of fun with some pretty fast sections depending on configuration.
The grand stands and facilities were pretty run down tho.
I do believe the no prep stuff would be held on the back section of straight/runway.
We got in shit for checking out the no prep area because it was a live runway for the sky diving club there.

bbriann
01-21-2020, 02:26 PM
"The grand stands and facilities were pretty run down tho." Yes washrooms all 3 tracks NOT great.
Grandbend pit side/main side stands getting replaced this year....soo they say...
I am too scared to do anything but try drive straight...never tried road course.

1BAD92LX
01-21-2020, 03:28 PM
I am too scared to do anything but try drive straight...never tried road course.

Just be scared you'll get hooked on road course racing.

bbriann
01-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Just be scared you'll get hooked on road course racing.
My 2004 mustang doesn't handle great at all' ..my AWD Fusion handles well..

bbriann
01-21-2020, 04:31 PM
The dragway track on Friday night test and tune they pour the glue down ' they don't skimp...your wont spin..

fast Ed
01-21-2020, 04:44 PM
My 2004 mustang doesn't handle great at all' ..my AWD Fusion handles well..

My stock at the time 87 Mustang didn't handle very well either, but that didn't stop me from trying an event at Shannonville in 1988. Drag racing seemed boring after that!

1BAD92LX
01-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Bring the Fusion, problem solved. ;)

RedSN
01-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Last time I was at Grand Bend it looked like this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/TMC/i-VKPvmRs/0/392c56c3/S/races-1-S.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/TMC/i-dSngGwr/0/f55597e4/S/races-2-S.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/TMC/i-9G7Vwgb/0/65f3cc9a/S/races-3-S.jpg

Just a temporary tree in the middle of the runway. Had to pull it off everytime somebody yelled: "plane!"
A few times a day an old DC3 carrying jumpers would take off and land.

G-ForceJunkie
01-22-2020, 09:01 PM
Any idea what the condition of the road course is like at Grand Bend? Never been to any events there on either track.
The course itself is in decent condition. The odd spot to avoid at curbing ends, but you get that at Mosport too. One big bump on a fast corner which unfortunately resulted in a crash last year, but it's part of the character of the track.

They could definitely do a better job running it, safety wise (Tire walls, cleaning up after drag weekends when they use the course for RV parking, etc.) It's pretty obvious the drag track is first priority there, but I think they are getting better.

bbriann
01-22-2020, 09:38 PM
TENTATIVE 2020 SCHEDULE Drag Track
Are posted on Grandbend and St Thomas sites. May long weekend is early this year...car mods are done...looking for a 10.50 mph @ 130+...just an average street car with a class 2 hitch...

bbriann
04-16-2020, 07:28 PM
St Thomas and Grandbend dragways are officially closed this May Long weekend....thanks Covid...

Rino
04-18-2020, 07:58 AM
:highfive::thumbsup:

bbriann
05-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Same owner for St. Thomas and Grandbend, so should be able to choose which race looks better and enjoy

bbriann
05-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Complete refurbishment of St Thomas track starting Monday and Hopefully both tracks open for June 5th weekend...been unpacking and repacking my track stuff today....we will see...

Minaccia
05-09-2020, 09:57 PM
Excellent news to hear, waiting for this track to open again. I'll be supporting Paul and family in more ways than one this year.

bbriann
05-28-2020, 05:19 PM
Grandbend preregistration for drag racing June 5-7...I'm all signed up.
St thomas dragway renovations should be ready also for same weekend. Little bit of light ...things looking up...maybe.