PDA

View Full Version : Diesel in cold weather

5.4MarkVIII
12-19-2019, 09:27 AM
is there any chance that just running too cold can cause an intermittent map sensor fault on a diesel engine?

I know I see most guys with big diesel's running bras in the in winter to restrict air threw the rad.

what is the reason for this?

keep getting intermitted map sensor errors that throw the truck into limp mode. reset and then its fine for a few days then throws the code again

thanks gents

hammerhead
12-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Diesels run cold in this weather - restricting air to the rad allows it to reach temp a little better - maybe that's just your problem - I use to have a small 5 cylinder Mercedes it had a Wabasco heater that would run with the engine to help bring it up to temp and keep the cabin warm...fuel could be jelling as well

5.4MarkVIII
12-19-2019, 09:56 AM
How do I know how much of the rad to cover?

hammerhead
12-19-2019, 10:00 AM
How do I know how much of the rad to cover?

you could probably close up the whole grill area on a day like today - or put card board in front of the radiator - maybe cover up half the radiator and see how the temp rises - if not enough add more card board...but remember to take it out when the weather warms up in a few days

Ponyryd
12-19-2019, 10:11 AM
It could cause the issue, that fault may be related to moisture in the intake, which could be freezing in the sensor. Throughout the winter the entire rad can usually be covered on a diesel, as stated a piece of cardboard works well. Also the truck should probably stay running as opposed to shutting it down after a short trip, a short trip will obviously create condensation in the intake and crankcase, and excessive moisture will affect the sensor.

ZR
12-19-2019, 11:52 AM
is there any chance that just running too cold can cause an intermittent map sensor fault on a diesel engine?

I know I see most guys with big diesel's running bras in the in winter to restrict air threw the rad.

what is the reason for this?

keep getting intermitted map sensor errors that throw the truck into limp mode. reset and then its fine for a few days then throws the code again

thanks gents

Full details on truck itself plus how it's being used would help.

5.4MarkVIII
12-19-2019, 12:28 PM
2013 Izuzu. 20 ft box truck. 4 cyl. Turbo diesel. Completely stock.

Condensation makes sense since the delivery guys tend to drive house to house with it off while they unload.

I’ll try some cardboard and have them Leave it idle when unloading. See if that helps.

ZR
12-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Most likely contaminated, if accessible, remove n spray liberally with brake clean.