PDA

View Full Version : OHIP no longer offers any coverage out of the Country.

ZR
01-02-2020, 12:02 AM
It's a new year — and that means provincial changes to OHIP have kicked in, leaving Ontarians travelling outside Canada without built in, out-of-country health insurance.
Critics say the switch could lead to increased costs and erect barriers to health care, while the province maintains the program just wasn't working.
<section id="inread-wrapper-id-6" style="font-family: &quot;Open Sans&quot;, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"></section>But both sides are unified on one message: anyone from Ontario travelling abroad should make sure to buy insurance before heading off on any trip.
"Consumers and travellers should not be travelling without insurance," said Louise Blazik, director of Travel College Canada.
"The government has always strongly encouraged individuals to purchase additional travel health insurance so they are adequately covered every time they leave Ontario to travel abroad," said David Jensen, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care spokesperson, in an email.
The province announced its decision to scrap the program last May following a six-day public consultation, saying it was very costly and did not provide value to taxpayers.
OHIP previously covered out-of-country inpatient services up to $400 per day for higher levels of care like intensive care, as well up to $50 per day for emergency outpatient and doctor services.

Feds criticize Ontario for eliminating out-of-country health insurance (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/feds-criticize-ontario-for-eliminating-out-of-country-health-insurance-1.5223941)

Jensen told CBC Toronto that the program spent a third of its funding on administrative costs and didn't help with meaningful travel coverage.
"The program's coverage is very limited with five cents of every dollar claimed," he said.
"Fully 95 per cent of claims are paid directly to insurance companies. With this limited coverage and low reimbursement rate, OHIP-eligible Ontarians who do not purchase private travel health insurance can be left with catastrophically large bills to pay."
Premiums surgeA consequence of the cancellation is insurance companies have now hiked their premiums, said Marissa Lennox, chief policy officer with the Canadian Association of Retired Persons (CARP).
"We've heard from our members that they have been affected by this. Their premiums have gone up as a result as companies prepare for the new year," she said.
"It's become a barrier for them, that they can no longer afford the cost of private insurance because those companies are now bearing the full brunt of the costs."

Foxstang
01-02-2020, 07:21 AM
So I cant get a sex change done in the USA anymore? Racist bigoted non-binary discriminatory policy lol

Slick_89_Hatch
01-02-2020, 10:01 AM
This is just out of country. The plan didn't cover much of anything in the first place and was difficult to use apparently. I never even knew it existed before. Most people when travelling get medical insurance anyways or have it through their work benefits.

92redragtop
01-02-2020, 10:40 AM
So I cant get a sex change done in the USA anymore? Racist bigoted non-binary discriminatory policy lol

No you always had to pay for that yourself.

Gr8Stang
01-02-2020, 02:27 PM
one thing to consider for out of province/country is what's covered and what isn't. I've asked about specific higher risk activities while on the phone and gotten a yes. I then asked for a written assurance, been put on hold and then been told "no we don't cover that". Brokers lie.

Definitely a good idea to do as you did when coverage is questionable. At a minimum, you need to read the Insurance companies stated covered/uncovered items, especially if you're leveraging the "free" Credit Card type coverages. Definitely limitations, and as always, insurance companies will look for ways to not pay out if at all possible, i.e. you had a pre-existing condition before you travelled.

Gr8Stang
01-02-2020, 02:33 PM
I don't understand this.....I thought the Government of Ontario had boat loads of money? Ooops….I forgot, our provincial debt is out of control. Love the Fed gov't criticism.....typical.

If the government could actually get their financial house in order and stop spending so much on paying the debt interest (never mind the principle!), they might actually be able to afford nice extras like this.

Gr8Stang
01-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Some perspective on just how ludicrous the Ontario Debt is.....

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-crushing-is-ontarios-312-billion-debt-really#comments-area

92redragtop
01-02-2020, 06:45 PM
I can't read it but the timing indicates late stage of business cycle (we know that already since this one is past it's best before date) as was the case before the last crash. Business failures have been on the rise for about 6 months and expect it to accelerate this year. A lot of consumers buy on a "cash flow" basis (ie. based on monthly payment) and consumer credit is tightening in the background.

First day of the new year and I'm already dealing with a fight this morning with a bankruptcy trustee and his legal expert on one bankruptcy that unfolded just before Christmas (we'll play chicken with them and see how far they want to push it legally) and heard about another one this afternoon that we're just piecing together the info on.

92redragtop
01-02-2020, 06:55 PM
I guess the fight begins.....I didn't know the coverage was that low ($400/day) - why bother at that level? With US health care this will probably just cover two Tylenols in a hospital. Just buy travel insurance.

Snowbirds file legal challenge against Ontario’s decision to scrap out-of-country health insurance

A group representing Canadians who spend part of the year in sunnier climes says it’s filed a legal challenge against Ontario’s decision to scrap out-of-country health insurance.

The Canadian Snowbird Association says eliminating the insurance goes against one of the five pillars of the Canada Health Act: portability.

The program covered out-of-country in-patient services up to $400 per day for a higher level of care, and up to $50 per day for emergency outpatient and doctor services.

A spokeswoman for Health Minister Christine Elliott wouldn’t comment on the case as it is before the courts, but she says the program was costly and largely ineffectual.

Hayley Chazan says its limited coverage meant that Canadians who had no private insurance were left on the hook for “catastrophically large bills to pay.”

The federal government has warned that the change, which came into effect on New Year’s Day, could lead to higher insurance premiums for Ontarians travelling abroad.

5.4MarkVIII
01-02-2020, 07:12 PM
If you can afford to drop thousands on a holiday every year you can afford a few hundred extra for health care coverage.

I’m pretty sure a few hundred is an exaggeration of actual cost. I’d have to check what we payed last time we went.

But if a couple extra hundred means you can’t afford to go on your vacation then the reality is you couldn’t afford that vacation in the first place

Gr8Stang
01-02-2020, 08:51 PM
If you can afford to drop thousands on a holiday every year you can afford a few hundred extra for health care coverage.

I’m pretty sure a few hundred is an exaggeration of actual cost. I’d have to check what we payed last time we went.

But if a couple extra hundred means you can’t afford to go on your vacation then the reality is you couldn’t afford that vacation in the first place

Depends on your age and health. My parents who have been going south for the last 18-20 yrs. have paid higher in recent years, rs. Latest was $5300 for 6 months. Again, can fluctuate quite a bit depending on your age and health.

And something as simple as a few stitches needed for cutting your finger while slicing vegetables, can easily run you $1000. But the real worry of course is something more serious...requiring hospitalization, which can easily run the costs into 10's of thousands, depending on the injury/condition. No way I travel outside Canada without some good health insurance.

92redragtop
01-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Big dollars in benefits and DB pensions for government employees - all levels. Multiple levels of dipping into taxpayer pockets and these are typically richer than those who actually pay for these benefits, receive themselves. I know it's pretty easy to get shades like Oakleys, etc expensed through the benefit plans under the vision care category (this is supposed to be for prescription eyeglasses). Public DB pensions with 100% matching from taxpayers - most private company employees have DC pensions (ie. you get what you save) some with matching/some without and few will do 100% matching to keep it sustainable.

Gr8Stang
01-02-2020, 08:59 PM
debt and deficits spending and policy that divert money away from health care are the result of other programs taking priority.

Would you rather keep a park open or spend on health care.

would you rather spend money on pride parades or health care.

would you rather give free stuff to non citizens or health care.

and on and on

Our politicians more and more are afraid to lead, but rather follow public opinion. Loud and vocal special interest groups sway public opinion, and the media piles on. Stay silent and get you pockets picked.

For the record I agree with buying health insurance for out of province/country. My premiums are rising as I get older and I don't like it, but I also don't like my receding hairline.

I think you're bang on; its a matter of who lobbies the loudest to get government spending tossed their way. The on-going teachers dispute is just the latest money grab. And of course those that protest/complain when monies aren't allocated to their cause.

Health Care, Education and Infrastructure is where the government should concentrate the tax revenue dollars (IMO) and if there's money left after paying for these expenses.....reduce the debt.

92redragtop
01-03-2020, 12:05 AM
Health Care, Education and Infrastructure is where the government should concentrate the tax revenue dollars (IMO) and if there's money left after paying for these expenses.....reduce the debt.

Spend money on healthcare? Watch your mouth young man!

Gr8Stang
01-03-2020, 11:03 AM
Spend money on healthcare? Watch your mouth young man!

I know.....heresy right? ;)

Spock
01-03-2020, 05:52 PM
The way travel insurance works is they get you to the point that you can be shipped back to Ontario so OHIP pays to fix you

92redragtop
01-03-2020, 06:33 PM
The way travel insurance works is they get you to the point that you can be shipped back to Ontario so OHIP pays to fix you

If you get hurt in some less developed part of the world, isn't this what you would want anyway? Medical travel back home can be expensive for serious cases.