PDA

View Full Version : TFI heat soak - how to tell if thats my issue?

90GT
01-13-2020, 01:17 PM
So, I may have the the TFI heat soak issue, not entirely sure yet. But after my mustang (1990GT) heats up.. it'll just shut itself off mid driving, once when i was hitting the on ramp to the 401..! After the car cools down for a bit, it'll start right up again. This last time though, I noticed a burned plug wire (cyl.#1) and now its making funny noises from the passenger side valve cover. So the car hasnt moved from the garage since july.

Now Im thinking its the TFI heat soak issue and think Im gonna buy a kit to relocate it somewhere...anyone try this or have had the same issues? I found the FatFoxx kit...pretty pricey, but if it works, may be worth it.

http://fatfoxx.com/products.php

Anyone know of any other kits available?

WidowrRacing
01-13-2020, 01:55 PM
I can’t say I’ve ever had this issue....my 88GT has the stock distributor still and the TFI let me down once a very long time ago. I replaced it with a motorcraft replacement and no issues since.

ZR
01-13-2020, 02:33 PM
If engine stalls the restarts, TFI is pooched, relocating will not bring it back to life but yes may make replacement last longer.

USAWIT2
01-13-2020, 02:37 PM
So, I may have the the TFI heat soak issue, not entirely sure yet. But after my mustang (1990GT) heats up.. it'll just shut itself off mid driving, once when i was hitting the on ramp to the 401..! After the car cools down for a bit, it'll start right up again. This last time though, I noticed a burned plug wire (cyl.#1) and now its making funny noises from the passenger side valve cover. So the car hasnt moved from the garage since july.

Now Im thinking its the TFI heat soak issue and think Im gonna buy a kit to relocate it somewhere...anyone try this or have had the same issues? I found the FatFoxx kit...pretty pricey, but if it works, may be worth it.

http://fatfoxx.com/products.php

Anyone know of any other kits available?

I had this issue on my old notch, car started randomly stalling, I used the fatfoxx kit and relocated the tfi to the passenger side inner fender, had no issues after that.

Sorry don't know of any other kits available

-Usawit2

ZR
01-13-2020, 03:57 PM
We keep a known to be good TFI module for testing purposes only.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-13-2020, 04:18 PM
For reference, a Motorcraft replacement module is still available to order from Ford. Club pricing is around $135 + HST.

FoxRod
01-13-2020, 04:28 PM
Never had the issue in the 30 yrs I've had it :),but a good reminder thread...and thanks Ed!

For reference, a Motorcraft replacement module is still available to order from Ford. Club pricing is around $135 + HST.

Titanium90
01-13-2020, 05:32 PM

Hi there,

Is that a genuine motorcraft part? If so, how do I order one?

Thanks,

Benny

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-13-2020, 05:38 PM
That will be a Motorcraft part from the Ford warehouse. The part number has changed from the original, so it may be from a different vendor but it would still meet OEM specs of course.

You can send a private message, or call the parts toll free line 844-339-0452 and ask for Ed. We can get one ordered, and ship it to you by Loomis courier for a $10 charge, just need a credit card number and your address. If you're not in a hurry for one we would add it to our weekly stock order.

thanks

RedSN
01-13-2020, 08:18 PM
Same deal for 94-95? Or are the jelly beans SOL?

LX89
01-13-2020, 09:19 PM
This company sells TFI relocation kits.

http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/index_files/tfikits.htm

True Blue
01-13-2020, 09:45 PM

Do these have Motorcraft written cross the module like the original?

Mustang4
01-13-2020, 11:58 PM
I've had two TFI's fail in the last 3 year, Motorcraft ones. Now thanks to ZR, the Fatfoxx relocation kit was installed at the end of the fall.
This spring we're hoping that fixes everything. Last 2 drives before it went away were good.

LX89
01-14-2020, 08:20 PM
I've had two TFI's fail in the last 3 year, Motorcraft ones. Now thanks to ZR, the Fatfoxx relocation kit was installed at the end of the fall.
This spring we're hoping that fixes everything. Last 2 drives before it went away were good.

Did you buy those 2 Motorcraft TFI's at a Ford dealer or online?
I've read of people buying Motorcraft TFI's online and they were junk.
They came in a Motorcraft box but the module was probably not genuine Motorcraft.

Maybe the quality has gone down even with the dealer ones.
Who knows.
I still have the original TFI with about 207km.

fast Ed
01-14-2020, 08:55 PM

Will let you know on Thursday when one ordered arrives. Several people are saying they've got the newer number and they are not marked as Motorcraft on the module.

Mustang4
01-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Did you buy those 2 Motorcraft TFI's at a Ford dealer or online?
I've read of people buying Motorcraft TFI's online and they were junk.
They came in a Motorcraft box but the module was probably not genuine Motorcraft.

Maybe the quality has gone down even with the dealer ones.
Who knows.
I still have the original TFI with about 207km.

I think one came from Rock Auto and one from LMR, both said Motorcraft, Part #DY 1284. And reviewing my timeline, it was 2 of them over the last 6 years not 3 years.

LX89
01-15-2020, 10:48 PM
If my TFI dies,I'll only buy one from a Ford dealer.
Hopefully less chance of getting a dud.

LX89
01-15-2020, 10:50 PM
Same deal for 94-95? Or are the jelly beans SOL?

Pretty sure Ford relocated the TFI off the distributor for 94-95.

Mustang4
01-15-2020, 11:03 PM
If my TFI dies,I'll only buy one from a Ford dealer.
Hopefully less chance of getting a dud.

I will likely order a back up from Ed at Parkway Ford.
Though I hope with the relocate to the fender, I'll never to have to worry about it again.

True Blue
01-16-2020, 09:45 AM
Another important factor is not to use dielectric compound which some recommend, instead use thermal compound paste for improve heat transfer. Get a quality paste like Arctic Silver 5.
After doing much reading regarding the TFI module, last summer I removed the original module cleaned everything up and applied the thermal paste. Hopefully this will make a difference.

ZR
01-16-2020, 10:36 AM
What we are seeing, original modules that came on the cars from new are most reliable.
If you move a module that was previously shutting down to a heat sink n works fine, connection was likely your original problem (either TFI to dist or harness to TFI).
Oddly, while most never have a problem, ones that do, once they eat one are way more prone to see another failure.
Electronics that come on aftermarket distributors, most unreliable of the bunch. So bad, some don't work from the minute you drop the dist in.

RedSN
01-16-2020, 10:58 AM
Pretty sure Ford relocated the TFI off the distributor for 94-95.
Good to know. Thanks!

SN95>Fox. (Puts flame suit on)

fast Ed
01-16-2020, 12:44 PM
Except for resale value ...

RedSN
01-16-2020, 01:57 PM
I see that as yet another plus. Can't afford a Fox.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-16-2020, 02:14 PM

We received one in today. It has the updated Ford ID # stamped in to the face of it, but not the Motorcraft logo.

True Blue
01-16-2020, 02:33 PM
We received one in today. It has the updated Ford ID # stamped in to the face of it, but not the Motorcraft logo.

Thank you Ed,

What's the updated ID no. on it?

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-16-2020, 02:46 PM
New ID number is DU2J-12A297-AA.

LX89
01-16-2020, 06:22 PM

Does it say where it's made?

When I took the front cover off my original TFI years ago the electronics were covered in some clear silicone/gel material that you could see right through.
I'm pretty sure,it's been awhile.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-17-2020, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately no stamping on the part or the package to declare its origin.

90GT
01-17-2020, 11:32 AM
I found this article if anyone is still reading up on this..
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nr4663d/

also, If I'm gonna go the relocation route... whats peoples opinions on these two kits?

http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/index_files/Page2271.htm
and
http://fatfoxx.com/products.php ...KIT 423706A

Im leaning toward the Mccully racing kit, even though its big $$$... it just looks like the easiest instal for me. (I live In a condo and gotta do the mods in the underground...ugh!)

....most of you seem to be commenting on stock Ford TFI/Distributers... I have a MSD dizzy... will a Ford TFI hook up into an MSD?? Is there any "performance" TFI's out there worth looking into if Im gonna be spending the money anyways??

ZR
01-17-2020, 11:35 AM
Yes Ford unit is direct fit on MSD dist.
MSD dist itself, only advantage over a stocker, look terrific, nothing else.

90GT
01-17-2020, 11:54 AM
Yes Ford unit is direct fit on MSD dist.
MSD dist itself, only advantage over a stocker, look terrific, nothing else.

It came with the car so...haha... I was actually thinking that when I install my Holley Terminator X that I might switch to Holley's dual sync dizzy...it looks like it removes the TFI completely... but I still gotta read up on it all..lol

LX89
01-17-2020, 10:26 PM
I found this article if anyone is still reading up on this..
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nr4663d/

also, If I'm gonna go the relocation route... whats peoples opinions on these two kits?

http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/index_files/Page2271.htm
and
http://fatfoxx.com/products.php ...KIT 423706A

Im leaning toward the Mccully racing kit, even though its big $$$... it just looks like the easiest instal for me. (I live In a condo and gotta do the mods in the underground...ugh!)

....most of you seem to be commenting on stock Ford TFI/Distributers... I have a MSD dizzy... will a Ford TFI hook up into an MSD?? Is there any "performance" TFI's out there worth looking into if Im gonna be spending the money anyways??

McCully offers two relocation kits.
A lower cost one and a more expensive one that mounts a gutted TFI on the distributor.

When I first read about the more expensive kit,they required the customer to send them a donor TFI,working or not,now it looks they supply a new gutted TFI in the kit.
The expensive kit is the best.

In the past I've read nothing but good things about their kits on corral.net.
As for "performance" TFI's I saw the inside of an Accel TFI years ago and the electronics inside looked like junk compared to what I saw inside my original Motorcraft TFI.