PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 2V Cam Recommendations

kyholm
01-31-2020, 03:36 PM
Currently have the motor pulled on my 02 GT to fix some rust and install longtubes. Figure I might as well pop some cams, rocker arms, springs, lash adjusters and cam chain guides/tension arms while the motor is out and easy to work on.

Car will mainly be used for weekend vomping and some track/drift days.

Open to all recommendations and advice

Much thanks in advance

Kyle

bbriann
02-03-2020, 10:34 AM
I bought my last set of custom cams from www.modularheadshop.com
I recommend emailing them. Several cams require pistons to be notched like the VT Stage 2 cams.
The comp 262AH cams had lots clearance.
To do install properly they should be degreed and requires some special tools and engine skills.
My last set custom cams I got the cams also degreed by www.modularheadshop.com for like extra $150,
they sent the degreed gears with order.
I order them and drove over the border and picked them up a parcel pickup place and paid GST on way back.

Laffs
02-03-2020, 11:44 AM
I have 262AHs in mine. No clearance issues, they made a small bump in power for sure. Everything bbrian said is spot on.

kyholm
02-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Have been looking into the 262AH's - Did they need to be degreed?

bbriann
02-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Should you degree them Yes
BUT 262AHs have lots of clearance and will not likely have PTV issues BUT without degreeing them you
will not know exactly how much they are off and will not get full power gain from new cams....

kyholm
02-04-2020, 05:53 PM
Understood. Now to just find a vendor that still stocks them. They appear to be all but disappeared from the market.

Laffs
02-05-2020, 05:25 PM

Bbrian is correct, but I sure as shit didn't degree mine. Held the gear in place with the anderson tool (https://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/anderson-cam-chain-retention-tool/), slapped em and bolted down.

That 35,000 boosted kms ago.

kyholm
02-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Bbrian is correct, but I sure as shit didn't degree mine. Held the gear in place with the anderson tool (https://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/anderson-cam-chain-retention-tool/), slapped em and bolted down.

That 35,000 boosted kms ago.

Oooo lawd! I too, like to live dangerously!

Is the 262AH a reasonably good FI cam? I fully intend to turbo this car.

Laffs
02-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Oooo lawd! I too, like to live dangerously!

Is the 262AH a reasonably good FI cam? I fully intend to turbo this car.

It's OK. I have a centri S/C on my car. I like these because they have lower end power band than most off the shelf cams which helps fill in the down low gap that comes with that kind of FI. Up top definitely leaving some HP on the table vs a dedicated FI cam but for my convertible street car I'm not overly concerned. Sounds good and literally had them installed in an afternoon. A weekend to do cams and Vortech is a decent weekend.

bbriann
02-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Yes 262ah cams are a great all around cams. I believe alot those cams now are manufactured after order is placed. That why summit racing is 10 to 15 days to ship.

kyholm
02-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Gotcha. Should I be installing new springs while I'm in there? This motor will be seeing plenty of redline.

Laffs
02-07-2020, 09:54 AM
It would be well advised.

BTW here's my jank shit with these cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hdy7ClmreI

Zutz2v
02-07-2020, 10:25 AM
It would be well advised.

BTW here's my jank shit with these cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hdy7ClmreI

Ok you twisted my arm. I’m going to instal the same ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbriann
02-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Gotcha. Should I be installing new springs while I'm in there? This motor will be seeing plenty of redline.
I would install These Comp Cam Springs 26125-16 , not the 26113-16 (these are only slightly above stock spring rate).
Keep in mind you will need the spring compressor special tool just for these 4.6/5.4l motors and will have to use a regulated air supply
that will be blowing air through the spark plug to keep the valve in its fully closed position while changing the springs....lots of youtube videos and literature on the web. Working on these motor takes some motor skills...just a FYI...
OR just install the cams without springs.....