PDA

View Full Version : How hard to change a roof on a fox mustang??

90GT
03-05-2020, 12:32 PM
So, I was messing around and after 11 YEARS of owning my 1990 GT, I realized the door tag says my car came with a sunroof!?! It currently does NOT have a sunroof. Im surprised because I've had this car stripped completely for a repaint about 5 years ago (we're talking every body panel came off) and nobody mentioned anything to me about the roof being switched. I bought the car off the original owner who never mentioned anything. I asked if it was original paint, he said it was. I was inclined to believe him because the car was rusty around the rear fenders and the rad support was pretty eaten up. I have the used vehicle package, there was nothing in there... Im stumped! Any chance the door tag is wrong?? Or is it more likely at some point the owner switched to a non sunroof???? Any tricks on how I could check this?? What do you guys think?

fast Ed
03-05-2020, 12:52 PM
Do you want to have a sunroof that bad? If not, don't worry about it, save the $$ for something else IMO.

Old Fart
03-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Door tag may not be wrong but maybe the factory made a mistake and did not put the sunroof in?

True Blue
03-05-2020, 01:12 PM
A Marti Report would show if a sunroof was on the option list.

90GT
03-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Do you want to have a sunroof that bad? If not, don't worry about it, save the $$ for something else IMO.

The only reason I would care is the "why" it was changed... I mean it makes no difference now.. the car is straight, and if it was changed then Im guessing they did a good job. I mean, I never noticed... lol.

90GT
03-05-2020, 01:35 PM
A Marti Report would show if a sunroof was on the option list.

maybe I'll get one just to compare...

RedSN
03-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Does the door VIN match the dash VIN.

If there was rust repair at some point, they may have put a clean used door on it.

88 hatchback
03-05-2020, 05:49 PM
ironically - I just chopped the roof off of a fox a few days ago.... for a spotless sunroof for my '79

My 79 has the typical rot around the front edge and rear of the sunroof.... and I found a 93 fox that had a spotless roof - but rotted strut towers/rad supports.

Seriously though- I felt terrible running a reciprocating saw through the 1/4 glass...

ZR
03-05-2020, 05:50 PM
While not super common, does happen where door tag / vin shows options that may be missing. My previous truck showed it came with power pedals, didn't have em.

90GT
03-05-2020, 09:08 PM
Does the door VIN match the dash VIN.

If there was rust repair at some point, they may have put a clean used door on it.

Both have the same VIN, in fact all the info on the door tag is correct except for the sunroof code... maybe it leaked and rotted, original owner swapped it out.. who knows!... maybe im just disappointed in myself for not knowing/seeing that after all this time:facepalm:

90GT
03-05-2020, 09:11 PM
http://www.mustanggt.org/90decode

this is the site i used to decode the VIN and door tag if anyone is interested..

LX89
03-05-2020, 09:58 PM
My 89LX has that big factory sunroof.
No cover to block the sun.
Idiots.

I had to put on two layers of the darkest window tint I could find to stop sweating my head off in the summer with the AC on.

FABMAN
03-05-2020, 11:50 PM
Solid roof would be my choice in a fox.

In fact I always wanted to convert a convertible back to a notch (as that’s how they were originally made) or perhaps a targa notch with a fabric roof panel that would utilize the vert latches and doors but that project would be so cost prohibitive that it will only remain a what if idea.

Old Fart
03-06-2020, 12:37 AM
Both have the same VIN, in fact all the info on the door tag is correct except for the sunroof code... maybe it leaked and rotted, original owner swapped it out.. who knows!... maybe im just disappointed in myself for not knowing/seeing that after all this time:facepalm:

Don't be so hard on yourself. Probably a manufacturer error since you have found no evidence that the roof has been changed. Would you have bought the car if you noticed the error?

Ponyryd
03-06-2020, 01:04 AM
Even stripped for a repaint to bare metal you may not be able to tell if the roof skin had been changed, and good for you that whoever changed it did a good job. Of course, the tag could be wrong, but I’d sooner bet the skin had been changed, those sunroof cars always rotted out.

ZR
03-06-2020, 08:37 AM
My 89LX has that big factory sunroof.
No cover to block the sun.
Idiots.

I had to put on two layers of the darkest window tint I could find to stop sweating my head off in the summer with the AC on.

Another trick that works well, paint from the inside with flat black paint. From outside looks like darkest most perfect tint you've ever seen.

90GT
03-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself. Probably a manufacturer error since you have found no evidence that the roof has been changed. Would you have bought the car if you noticed the error?

TBH I would have passed on the car if I was told that the roof had been changed. Not because I wanted a sunroof, but because the overall condition of the car at the time wasn't great. I got a killer deal knowing it would need a repaint and some repairs. Oh well, it is what it is!