View Full Version : Looking for Opinions....

hammerhead
03-14-2020, 09:27 AM
Starting a massive reno on the house. Already stressing on the relationship...lol and it's just beginning!

I have two wood fireplaces in the house and thinking of replacing them with propane...

If anyone here had the choice - What would you prefer....? Wood burning fire place or Propane flick of the switch?

bbriann
03-14-2020, 09:29 AM
Propane be my choice...wood not cheap anymore...extra work...mess... I have enough other things to keep me busy

5.4MarkVIII
03-14-2020, 09:36 AM
I love my wood stove but if your talking fireplace id go propane. wood burning fire place is very inefficient. so you go threw a lot of wood. and there is very little control over draft and heat out put.

if your looking for an alternative heat source and have access to wood go a proper wood stove (if you don't mind the work) if your just looking for effect propane.

True Blue
03-14-2020, 09:38 AM
Keep one propane (simplicity) and the other wood burning (emergency situation).

5.4MarkVIII
03-14-2020, 09:42 AM

not a bad idea, though should also check with insurance and local codes. lots look at wood fireplaces as a big nono

True Blue
03-14-2020, 10:02 AM
not a bad idea, though should also check with insurance and local codes. lots look at wood fireplaces as a big nono

I have 2 wood burning fireplaces. Main floor one will be converted to gas, planning to renovate soon. I never use the fireplaces and the Insurance company knows this. But in emergency situations, fuck the rules.

Screw
03-14-2020, 10:03 AM
I guess for me the novelty of a wood burning air tight wood stove is nice , maybe like TrueBlue said

hammerhead
03-14-2020, 10:57 AM
I love my wood stove but if your talking fireplace id go propane. wood burning fire place is very inefficient. so you go threw a lot of wood. and there is very little control over draft and heat out put.

if your looking for an alternative heat source and have access to wood go a proper wood stove (if you don't mind the work) if your just looking for effect propane.

not worried about laws ours have been in there for 30years - at some point laws may dictate to cleaner burning wood insert - they passed the W.E.T test so insurance is happy - they are air tight but the are old

- - - Updated - - -

good idea that's what I like about wood..

hammerhead
03-14-2020, 11:01 AM
I guess for me the novelty of a wood burning air tight wood stove is nice , maybe like TrueBlue said

Me too John - I like the wood - the High Commander thinks I'm obsessed....lol I'm thinking propane for two reason - I don't like the location they are in now and propane will be an easy and cheaper relocate - and we are selling and a little unsure if people would like wood or convenience....? I have lots of split wood so I may keep one wood in the basement.

hammerhead
03-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Propane be my choice...wood not cheap anymore...extra work...mess... I have enough other things to keep me busy

I have too say - we installed a propane furnace last fall - what a blessing....lol never ever thought I would say that

Uncle Buck
03-14-2020, 11:32 AM
Love my wood fireplace and would never change it but don't try to heat the house unless you add an insert.