PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for boost on a 4.6 2V

kyholm
04-11-2020, 04:47 PM
I currently have the engine out of my 02 GT to pull the heads, do some light bowl porting and some cams. I would love to turbo this car and I have been researching what it will take to get me there.

I figure now is the time while the engine is out, and if I'm going to pull the heads anyways, I dont think it will be much more work to just break the whole thing down and do a forged rotating assembly.

I am currently looking for anyone who has any kernels of knowledge on doing this, and any cost savings or part recommendations they may have.

Cheers all!

Kyle

ZR
04-11-2020, 06:02 PM
What are your h/p goals / intended use?

bbriann
04-11-2020, 06:22 PM
If the mustang has less than 100000km. I would recommend not touching the heads and cams just purchase a complete blower kit and slap it on and get it tuned. Probably not included in kit is fuel injectors and 300lph bbk drop in fuel pump and change rear gear to 373s, this will be cheapest rwhp in the end...

kyholm
04-11-2020, 08:03 PM
What are your h/p goals / intended use?

No real HP target, the 4.6 in stock form leaves a lot to be desired, I guess my HP goal would be 450 if I were to put a number on it based on similar weight cars I've driven. Intended use is general street thrashing, drifting and roll racing anything/everything around.

kyholm
04-11-2020, 08:13 PM
If the mustang has less than 100000km. I would recommend not touching the heads and cams just purchase a complete blower kit and slap it on and get it tuned. Probably not included in kit is fuel injectors and 300lph bbk drop in fuel pump and change rear gear to 373s, this will be cheapest rwhp in the end...

Motor has 109km on it. The stock cams paired up with with F/I does not sound logical? does it?

A Vortech kit right now is $7300CAD, and that does not account for injectors, rails and a fuel pump. I'd be in for $8500+, just to run boost on a stock 2V - Sounds like a recipe for breaking stuff! And for $8500+, I could Coyote swap and have 420hp N/A, but with more wrenching on my end.

What I like about boosting the 4.6 is:

1 - I Already have the 4.6
2 - It's going to be receiving work anyways
3 - I can piece together a turbo onto it for roughly $2000
4 - If I put forged pistons, connecting rods and crank in it, along with some ARP studs and a better head gasket, it's likely going to survive being a F/I motor for a lot longer.
5 - I don't have to swap the motor, and deal with the headaches that come with a swap.

Old Fart
04-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Did you see this one for sale?

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?16710-For-Sale-Procharger-P600B

Zippy
04-11-2020, 08:47 PM
I know of a procharger for sale.... :stickpoke:

bbriann
04-11-2020, 09:00 PM

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?16710-For-Sale-Procharger-P600B
The brackets for 98 will not fit 04 mustang.

bbriann
04-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Motor has 109km on it. The stock cams paired up with with F/I does not sound logical? does it?

A Vortech kit right now is $7300CAD, and that does not account for injectors, rails and a fuel pump. I'd be in for $8500+, just to run boost on a stock 2V - Sounds like a recipe for breaking stuff! And for $8500+, I could Coyote swap and have 420hp N/A, but with more wrenching on my end.

What I like about boosting the 4.6 is:

1 - I Already have the 4.6
2 - It's going to be receiving work anyways
3 - I can piece together a turbo onto it for roughly $2000
4 - If I put forged pistons, connecting rods and crank in it, along with some ARP studs and a better head gasket, it's likely going to survive being a F/I motor for a lot longer.
5 - I don't have to swap the motor, and deal with the headaches that come with a swap.
Stock cams will work fine with FI and of course centrifugal specific cams will make more power like all modifications. Cams springs gaskets etc parts will be $1500 more to cost or just install blower and can run 10 psi and make 400 rwhp which is 180 rwhp more then you making now and with 373 gears it will feel like a beast . I would have went with a large stroker motor but wanted keep my airconditioner...

Zippy
04-11-2020, 09:21 PM
The brackets for 98 will not fit 04 mustang.

It would with a 98 front timing cover.

bbriann
04-11-2020, 09:25 PM
It would with a 98 front timing cover.
That would work. I actually switch to a 98 cover on my 04 as the tensioner is stronger then what my 04 ....

ZR
04-11-2020, 10:25 PM
That would work. I actually switch to a 98 cover on my 04 as the tensioner is stronger then what my 04 ....

You still have the 04 cover?

kyholm
04-12-2020, 07:58 AM
Stock cams will work fine with FI and of course centrifugal specific cams will make more power like all modifications. Cams springs gaskets etc parts will be $1500 more to cost or just install blower and can run 10 psi and make 400 rwhp which is 180 rwhp more then you making now and with 373 gears it will feel like a beast . I would have went with a large stroker motor but wanted keep my airconditioner...

My main concern is reliability/longevity. Can the cast pistons/rods/crank handle boost? From what I've read, yes, but not for long lol.

I just don't want to go to all the work of putting F/I on this thing to have to pull it again due to the heads lifting, bent rod, ect.

If I can reliably make 400rwhp with no worries of the motor yeeting itself - sign me up.

bbriann
04-12-2020, 08:00 AM
You still have the 04 cover?
Actually I do and have no use for it....but I live in portelgin. Its clean and looks like new. But I'm not into shipping thing...

kyholm
04-12-2020, 08:02 AM

I know of a procharger for sale.... :stickpoke:

Oh well god damn it now I AM gonna procharge it! Lol. I'll DM you Zippy

bbriann
04-12-2020, 08:33 AM
You will really notice a 70 percent increase in RWHP...then following year install 373 gears and it will again be like a different ride again..
Be careful boost is addictive...

ZR
04-12-2020, 08:35 AM
My main concern is reliability/longevity. Can the cast pistons/rods/crank handle boost? From what I've read, yes, but not for long lol.

I just don't want to go to all the work of putting F/I on this thing to have to pull it again due to the heads lifting, bent rod, ect.

If I can reliably make 400rwhp with no worries of the motor yeeting itself - sign me up.

Correctly tuned with reliable supporting mods, will handle 400 rwhp all day long and come back for more tomorrow.
Agree with doing gears at the same time.
Now down to, you looking for torque or max h/p?
Centri vs PD blower is an entirely different experience.

ZR
04-12-2020, 08:37 AM
Actually I do and have no use for it....but I live in portelgin. Its clean and looks like new. But I'm not into shipping thing...

PM sent.

kyholm
04-12-2020, 10:26 AM
Correctly tuned with reliable supporting mods, will handle 400 rwhp all day long and come back for more tomorrow.
Agree with doing gears at the same time.
Now down to, you looking for torque or max h/p?
Centri vs PD blower is an entirely different experience.

The car will definitely be getting 373's, if not 410's, while the rear end is out for a cleanup. I don't fear the gear! lol

Like I had previously mentioned, the numbers don't really matter to me as much as the overall drive dynamic/experience. Not looking to hit a specific "bragging rights" number. I am looking to make this a fun car to drive, that I'm not going to get bored of within a year of putting the motor back in.

The stock 2V made all the good noises, but really lacked in throwing me back in my seat. I'd like to improve that.

ZR
04-12-2020, 10:47 AM
So, slap a blower on there with supporting mods n be happiest guy on the block.
Centri blower, 4:10 /// PD blower 3:73

Laffs
04-12-2020, 11:28 AM

!20,000 current kms on my ride. Been Vortech Supercharged at 10psi since 85-90,000. It's taken care of but also see's wide open every time I take it out, every on-ramp is a runway race, and I've driven it to North Carolina and back for Tail of the Dragon. Make sure the motor is healthy then buy a quality kit second hand (that's what I did), don't beat it without a good dyno tune, and don't skip on maintenance and upkeep once it's installed. You'll be fine.

Just remember the cost of the kit is one thing, but also remember you'll need a 400hp fuel system, 400hp clutch, and if you plan to drag it 400hp axles and diff.

kyholm
04-12-2020, 12:31 PM
So, slap a blower on there with supporting mods n be happiest guy on the block.
Centri blower, 4:10 /// PD blower 3:73

Really I can get by safely with a 255LPH pump, 39lb injectors, MAF and a tune? I am honestly amazed by that info. Everyone on the internet seems to think these 2V motors are made of glass as far as putting boost to them. (and TBF, there are a ton of people breaking shit as well)

Minaccia
04-12-2020, 12:59 PM
How long it last will have a lot to do with who you choose to tune it, not every tuner is the same.

PM me if you need recommendations.

Laffs
04-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Really I can get by safely with a 255LPH pump, 39lb injectors, MAF and a tune? I am honestly amazed by that info. Everyone on the internet seems to think these 2V motors are made of glass as far as putting boost to them. (and TBF, there are a ton of people breaking shit as well)

That's legitimately my setup except 300lph fuel pump. Not endorsed but I know of several high 400hp 2v's on stock bottom end. Tune and fuel is everything.

kyholm
04-12-2020, 01:05 PM
!20,000 current kms on my ride. Been Vortech Supercharged at 10psi since 85-90,000. It's taken care of but also see's wide open every time I take it out, every on-ramp is a runway race, and I've driven it to North Carolina and back for Tail of the Dragon. Make sure the motor is healthy then buy a quality kit second hand (that's what I did), don't beat it without a good dyno tune, and don't skip on maintenance and upkeep once it's installed. You'll be fine.

Just remember the cost of the kit is one thing, but also remember you'll need a 400hp fuel system, 400hp clutch, and if you plan to drag it 400hp axles and diff.

I need a new clutch and was planning on upgrading anyways, same goes for the fuel system. Rear end will likely see 31 spline axles when I do the gears.

I take it you're on stock internals?

How long it last will have a lot to do with who you choose to tune it, not every tuner is the same.

This is very true, but cast internals can only go so far.

Minaccia
04-12-2020, 01:09 PM
A good tuner will know the limits and stay within them even if the owner wants to see certain numbers, that's how the U.S. tuners works any ways.

I need a new clutch and was planning on upgrading anyways, same goes for the fuel system. Rear end will likely see 31 spline axles when I do the gears.

Laffs
04-12-2020, 01:43 PM

Stock motor aside from Comp Cams and springs.

Zippy
04-12-2020, 05:10 PM
+1 on people running blowers on a stock 2v. We've installed a bunch of them over the years, centrifugal & PD style. Like others said, it's all in the tune and taking care of it and it will last. The only time they blow up is if you do something stupid.

maxwell6
04-14-2020, 07:53 AM
Hey a bolt on pro charger and intercooler for 3000.00 cash is a bonus . Just slap it on get it tuned and have a blast. after your 1st season and you want more, do the bottom end and turn it up. gonna be fun :mechanic: