PDA

View Full Version : Rollin' Coal = Big Fine

Old Fart
04-19-2020, 09:25 AM
https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/tvs-diesel-brothers-to-pay-us850000-fine-for-rolling-coal?utm_campaign=on_network_boosting&utm_medium=native_ads&utm_source=drivingcontentads&utm_content=Drivingflex

machzilla
04-19-2020, 09:38 AM
Surprised this isn't way more common practice clamping down on this stuff,aside from these guys on tv.

ZR
04-19-2020, 09:46 AM
Behind a lowered n apparently modded (make that riced out to da max diesel) VW wagon the other day, clouds of black stench coming out the back were ridiculous. We read about enforcement being a high priority here but it's not at all uncommon to see pick ups rolling coal. On the flip side, emissions equipment on trucks (light and hd) have all but forced owners to remove at least some of it in an effort to bring reliability n affordability into reality.
As for gas engines, especially in our hot rods, being operated without cats n proper tuning, no excuse for that stuff either. It's just all too easy to make big, ok make that huge power and be responsible.

Foxstang
04-20-2020, 07:22 AM
I find myself turning off the HVAC on the highway when a diesel is nearby I can't stand the smell. Rolling coal is just plain stupid, I honestly don't get it. I also don't get why people delete cats and remove smog on fox bodies either. Removing it provides absolutely no benefits on any street driven ride, and in most cases it actually reduces performance. To do it "correctly" you need a tweecer or something to change the programming.

People who roll-coal and remove smog are the ones who will be responsible for making our hobby illegal at some point. So thank the next person who smells like sh*t.

redo75
04-20-2020, 09:20 AM
We have a few guys that like to pull this trick from a stop light. Hate it about noonish in downtown core area, looking to show their jackked-up diesel truck.

Snaketamer
04-20-2020, 09:25 AM
I have no problem with a clamp down on idiots who remove smog equipment for the purpose of 'rolling coal'. Specially, when they try to smoke out people and think it's funny. Had this happen a couple summers ago to my wife and I in the cobra. A lifted diesel truck tried to line us up to 'roll coal' however, I figured what he was going to do and I high tailed it outta there. I say, fine 'em all!

Laffs
04-20-2020, 10:27 AM
People who smoke out pedestrians or other motorists are tools. Like grade A have a family tree that's more a shrub/gene pool the size of a shot glass idiots. I love diesel's and hate people who are ruining the image of a diesel owner for everyone as a some guy with a 20" lift on 44" boggers with stock brakes and the fuel turned ALLLLLLLLLL the way up just to see smoke. To me however it's no different than the guy who buys a brand new Mustang and hacks the exhaust off for sewer pipe and drives around everywhere in 2nd blipping the throttle at anyone with a pulse.

Guess all I'm saying is don't be a moron and ruin it for everyone maybe practice some restraint and realize if you're gonna draw attention to yourself don't make it negative. Also could the OEM's please for the love of Peter figure out how to give us the performance of modern diesels without the absolute nightmare that is the current state of EGR/DPF/DEF technology?