PDA

View Full Version : Nitto NT 555 G2

ZR
04-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Been running the original Nitto 555s for some years now and very pleased with both the performance and price. Fresh on the Cobra today, new Gen 2 315s out back and 275s on the front then out for a drive we went. Can honestly say so far I'm pretty darn impressed, while I really liked the Gen 1 these are all that and then some. Noticeable reduction in harshness over even sharp bumps plus appreciable difference in steering feedback as you go into a corner. Not sure how they'll stack up traction wise, still pretty cool out there but so far so good. Thanks again to Fast Ed at Parkway Ford for hooking me up.

Scrape
04-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Too bad they don't make them for my car. (I checked :( )

newbiestangowner
04-27-2020, 07:41 PM

Time to get a new car then ! ( stick poke)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast Ed
04-27-2020, 07:44 PM

That's because BMW owners should be paying for fancier tires than those! LOL

lilrifraf666
04-27-2020, 08:08 PM
Running them with the same size combo on mine as well and I am very happy with them, good on the wear factor, have approximately 4k on them with no signs of wear.

Scrape
04-27-2020, 08:08 PM
I am waiting for Parkway to drop the price of the GT350 lol....joking of course.
Time to get a new car then ! ( stick poke)

Sadly that is not far from the truth from what I am seeing online. I guess I am cheap guy lol.
That's because BMW owners should be paying for fancier tires than those! LOL

fast Ed
04-27-2020, 08:51 PM
Good to hear the feedback on these. Online reports seem good, but of course you don't have any way of vetting those. Lots of good sizing available for MUSTANGS.

Scrape
04-27-2020, 09:13 PM
:choke:

ZR
04-27-2020, 09:13 PM
Have same model tires here mounted n ready to go on the Impala, anxious to see how they compare to the BFGs I took off.

hsousa88
04-27-2020, 10:52 PM
I’m happy with them. About 2.5km’s on them. Great traction, dunno about wear yet. They seem to run a tad wide.. I regret going with 245’s.

ZR
04-28-2020, 08:54 AM
Purchase was based on combo of past experience with Gen I plus how impressed Ross n I were when we drove yours with them on Hugo.

CON VERT
04-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Yup, happy with mine !

ZR
04-28-2020, 07:39 PM
Update part II

Out for a short drive in the Impala, impressive how it's turned it from driving well but sensitive to road conditions into doesn't care how uneven it is n goes straight with zero effort.

fast Ed
04-28-2020, 08:39 PM
How old were the tires that came off the car Rick?

ZR
04-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Old as the hills, it's a 95 and they were it's second set of tires. Think around 08 ish.

maxwell6
07-10-2020, 07:48 AM
What is the cost on a set of 275/40 /17.

ZR
07-10-2020, 08:27 AM
Problem came up with mine has me suggesting you look to an alternative.
Flat spotting after sitting, once it happens, never fully smooth out no matter how far you drive.
The 18s on the 05 do it some, 17s on the Cobra worse, only partially smooth out, have me temp not driving it.

maxwell6
07-10-2020, 08:47 AM
Thanks for feed back.

2DXTRM
07-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Problem came up with mine has me suggesting you look to an alternative.
Flat spotting after sitting, once it happens, never fully smooth out no matter how far you drive.
The 18s on the 05 do it some, 17s on the Cobra worse, only partially smooth out, have me temp not driving it.

I have had the same issue with the gen 1 NT555.......they flat spot after sitting for a while. they usually clear up after a long drive.
Unfortunately I put the car away last year with them still on (I usually swap out the wheels/tires for storage), haven't brought it out yet. Wondering how bad they will be.

ZR
07-12-2020, 04:22 PM
My Gen 1 Nittos also flat spotted but only after sitting all winter. Bonus with them, about 15 minutes of driving would return to silky smooth all summer.

2DXTRM
01-22-2021, 12:40 PM
Any further feedback on these G2 Nittos?
and any comparison to the Continental ExtremeContact Sport?

Looking at the tire weight, the Conti's would seem to shave some rotational mass off the wheels.

CON VERT
01-22-2021, 12:52 PM
Will let u know in the spring ???

ZR
01-22-2021, 01:19 PM
I put almost no miles on the Cobra last yr but a bunch on the 05. Oddly enough, more miles I put on them the less they did it and after a short drive would smooth out completely. Never seen tires do that but pleased it's worked out in the long run. Happy enough with the tires leaning towards same tires / size for the new car.

2DXTRM
01-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Good to hear ZR.

Im still debating between the 2. G2 and the Conti..

ZR
01-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Wish I liked the feel n ride from the Conti's but just not for me (for sure I'm the exception on this one).
Was also considering Firestone Firehawks but cupping is a genuine issue with them, even on the rear of some solid axle rides.

2DXTRM
01-22-2021, 05:03 PM
Wish I liked the feel n ride from the Conti's but just not for me (for sure I'm the exception on this one).
Was also considering Firestone Firehawks but cupping is a genuine issue with them, even on the rear of some solid axle rides.

Im sure youre just as picky as me.

Was the ride with the Conti's too soft? ie. sidewall flex? turn in response etc.

Wish there were more options in the 17s as there was say 10 years ago.

fast Ed
01-22-2021, 09:04 PM
Rick, which Continentals have you driven on? The previous gen ExtremeContact DW definitely had a bit of a squishy sidewall compared to other max performance tires, but the current gen ExtremeContact Sport that came out a few years ago do have stiffer sidewalls in comparison. That's what I was running on my 17 last year and was pretty happy with them.

cheers
Ed

mavrrrick
01-22-2021, 09:36 PM
If ya want to check them out on a ride, I’ll come by with mine when it’s on the road and take for a run .

Zutz2v
01-22-2021, 10:15 PM
I put Nittos Gen 2 on my GT around August, I have no complaints, drives smooth and I no longer have over steer from my ok’d fire hawks

ZR
01-22-2021, 10:33 PM
Rick, which Continentals have you driven on? The previous gen ExtremeContact DW definitely had a bit of a squishy sidewall compared to other max performance tires, but the current gen ExtremeContact Sport that came out a few years ago do have stiffer sidewalls in comparison. That's what I was running on my 17 last year and was pretty happy with them.

cheers
Ed

For sure it was the earlier gen. Found they felt mushy and disconnected but road like make out of concrete. Since I run track wheels n tires, for the street I'm looking for reasonable performance, good ride for a performance tire and good traction under all summer conditions.

fast Ed
01-22-2021, 11:34 PM
Interesting ... I had the DW version on my 07, certainly slower steering response than other similar category tires but I found the ride to be pretty good. In wet weather they were amazing. I remember being at Mosport DDC helping at a very wet Hanson event and taking my student out for a ride near the end of the day, he was a fellow S197 owner with a fairly stock car. He was stunned at the difference in grip compared to his car.

Didn't really get much opportunity to push on the new ones on the 17 in the wet last summer to compare, but they are rated quite high for that. I'm probably going to have to put something fresh on this year though ... the Continentals are worn considerably from just last year's use. But that was almost 10,000 km, and I think 9 or 10 track days too. First few I hadn't added camber on the front yet so that was tough on the shoulders of course. Not sure yet what route I'm going to go for replacements. Depends on whether or not I end up with a second set of wheels for track use.

By the way, glad to hear that the issue with the Nittos has improved with some more miles on them.

Slick_89_Hatch
01-28-2021, 04:41 PM
If anyone needs 18" tires I have an almost brand new set of Conti Extreme Contact Sport 255/45 and 285/40 from my GT500. PM me!