PDA

View Full Version : Hagerty Feedback??

johnny5
05-13-2020, 06:01 PM
Is anyone using Hagerty for insurance? How are they for using the car to go on weekend cruises and meets? Do they have any restrictions other than not taking the car to work?

JZ67
05-13-2020, 06:38 PM
I use them and I am sure many others here do too. When I first started, I asked them specifically and they said cruises, running an errand, going for a drive, attending car shows and events of the like are ok. They don't want you driving to/from work.

Blackmare
05-13-2020, 06:45 PM
I use them and I am sure many others here do too. When I first started, I asked them specifically and they said cruises, running an errand, going for a drive, attending car shows and events of the like are ok. They don't want you driving to/from work.This is what I was told when I used Hagerty.
The person I talked to said the odd drive to work was ok, but don't make it a habit.

Stephen06GT
05-13-2020, 06:58 PM
This is what I was told when I used Hagerty.
The person I talked to said the odd drive to work was ok, but don't make it a habit.

Me too.

ZR
05-13-2020, 07:20 PM
Pretty much sums up what I was told as well.
Been with them a few years now, service etc has been top notch.

FoxRod
05-13-2020, 07:31 PM
Are Track Days permitted? With Zehr's, the same conditions as posted apply...

JZ67
05-13-2020, 08:38 PM
Are Track Days permitted? With Zehr's, the same conditions as posted apply...

nope. no track days with Hagerty

Ponyryd
05-13-2020, 09:21 PM
They told me I could drive to work on occasion, and basically just don’t use it as a DD and there would be no issue. So my understanding is basically anything but shopping and going to work daily would be fine.

ZR
05-13-2020, 09:37 PM
Track day insurance is offered outside of a conventional policy.

Laffs
05-13-2020, 09:42 PM
They're pretty great with anything except the guy passing his car off as "occasional use" when it's really his summer DD. They were even fine with me driving my car all the way down to North Carolina for pleasure use.

A recurring sticking point I've heard is don't take your car out to shopping centers/mall they don't like that and track days are out the window. I had to sign a form when I got my policy stating I wouldn't track my car IIRC.

Gabe
05-13-2020, 10:54 PM
I am with Echelon, similar restrictions

Appraised value 35k, 420/ yr

FoxRod
05-13-2020, 11:04 PM
19A Policy? Nice, just renewed and added my 27 y/o son to also drive the Fox (with the restrictions ), surprised my Premium didnt increase. $260/yr $39k 19A :highfive:

I am with Echelon, similar restrictions

Appraised value 35k, 420/ yr

ZR
05-14-2020, 06:51 AM
^ Assuming he has his own car and insurance?

True Blue
05-14-2020, 07:43 AM
I'm with Echelon through Zehr. Nearly double the appraisal value and half the premium cost, compared to Hagerty.

FoxRod
05-14-2020, 09:44 AM
Yessir, and listed as Secondary on Fox (10+ years licensed is the min requirement)

...he was picked up in it when he was born, now hes able to drive it... :)

^ Assuming he has his own car and insurance?

Bonnie Coulter is my Broker, great to deal with.

FYI, check which Policy you have..

Ontario Policy Change Form Definitions

OPCF 19A and OPCF 19

When insuring an antique car and providing your insurer with an appraisal you will be dealing with either an OPCF 19A or OPCF 19 endorsement. They are very simple endorsements with similar names but distinct and opposite meanings. One is a an enhancement while the other is a restrictive endorsement.

OPCF 19A - Agreed Value of Automobile(s) Endorsement - This endorsement will guarantee to pay the amount stated on the endorsement in the event of a total loss. That amount is determined by the appraisal of the car. This is the coverage you want for your antique car! Most antique specific insurance coverage has the OPCF 19A endorsement.

OPCF 19 - Limitation Of Amount Endorsement - This endorsement is for the benefit of the insurer, not you. It sets a limit to the liability of the insurer (usually the appraised value). At their discretion they need only pay out what they consider to be the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of the car or the appraised value - whichever is less. I would argue that most antique cars are appreciating in value, so if anything, the ACV may be more than the appraised value depending on how much time has passed between appraisals (5 years should be the maximum). However, it is most likely that the insurance company will attempt to settle for less than the appraised value (even though your rates were based on the appraised value). Unfortunately you are at the mercy of your insurer in the event of a claim with the OPCF 19 endorsement. You can only hope that you will receive a fair settlement.

I hope this makes it clear how important it is to get antique specific insurance for your car (OPCF 19A coverage). If you're not sure what your current coverage is check your policy (it should be listed) or call your broker.

ZR
05-14-2020, 11:57 AM
Mine is agreed value on both Cobra and Impala.

hsousa88
05-14-2020, 12:04 PM
I never understood the no track thing.. I get that it’s a liability for them but if I track my car and wreck it they just won’t cover it. Right?

Frankie
05-14-2020, 12:54 PM
That's the way i've always looked at it too.

Gr8Stang
05-14-2020, 01:48 PM
I went thru their quote process yesterday and also chatted online with one of their reps. For my 08 Shelby GT500, they wanted nearly $1300/yr. with pretty much standard coverages. I changed the Agreed upon value, to see the impact, and it was minimal.

In had an email exchange with an independent appraisal firm and they said to be careful on the Hagerty Agreed Value amount. They can still assess your car at a lower value if you write it off.

Thinking I'll check back with Zehr, as they insured my 98 Cobra under the 19A clause and the insurance was a lot cheaper.

One things for sure, if I was to write off the Shelby right now, Bel-Air would only cover whatever the book value is, which is I'm sure significantly less.....then an Agreed Value amount.

bbriann
05-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Track day insurance is offered outside of a conventional policy.
The extra track insurance policy i saw cover you in pits, in staging lanes and return roads etc. But not while actually on track racing....atleast that's what I understood.

ZR
05-14-2020, 05:05 PM
Sorry was talking about lapping day insurance.

Zexhuffer
05-16-2020, 11:22 PM
Mine is agreed value on both Cobra and Impala.

Whats the cost on the cobra per year?

ZR
05-17-2020, 02:42 AM
By itself $1000 with an agreed value / retention of salvage.
Was cheaper when on my daily driver policy with truck n HHR but they refused to insure beyond what an 04 Mustang is worth.

True Blue
05-17-2020, 07:15 AM
By itself $1000 with an agreed value / retention of salvage.
Was cheaper when on my daily driver policy with truck n HHR but they refused to insure beyond what an 04 Mustang is worth.

Have you considered looking into Zehr Insurance?

ZR
05-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Yes before this years renewal.

Gr8Stang
05-20-2020, 11:12 AM
fyi....when I emailed Zehr for some info. on getting a policy with them, they noted the following:

"Our policies allow for driving for pleasure use and classic car hobby purposes. Commuting, business use, running errands, leaving the vehicle unattended, or other activities carried out with your regular use automobile is excluded. The vehicle must also be stored in a secure and indoor facility, such as your garage, when it is not in use."

Most of the above is easily complied with....though not leaving the car unattended might be an issue from time to time.

MUSTANGWOP
05-20-2020, 11:32 AM
I'm with Echelon through Zehrs:
- 19A policy (insured for appraised value, appraisal was done by Fred Struzer) I can't remember the exact appraisal amount but I know it was just shy of $45k
- $502/year taxes in
- limitations as Scott (Gr8Stang) posted above. Works perfect for me for what I use my car for.

'03 Cobra vert is the insured vehicle.

With regards to the OP's question...I contacted Hagerty on several occasions using various contacts provided to me by members of TMC and they gave zero interest in insuring my car so I gave up and moved on.

ZR
05-22-2020, 08:24 AM
Here I am thinking the 05 was going to be complicate to insure, done in under 10 minutes on the phone at an agreed value I'm comfortable with plus retention of salvage added.
thank you again Hagerty.

FoxRod
05-22-2020, 09:13 AM
So no Appraisal required? Just an agreed Cash Value? Sweet...

Here I am thinking the 05 was going to be complicate to insure, done in under 10 minutes on the phone at an agreed value I'm comfortable with plus retention of salvage added.
thank you again Hagerty.

ZR
05-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Yes same as they did on the Cobra.
I think part of it is being realistic with your value, which I can only assume falls between perimeters agent on the phone is able to authorize on the spot. I know both would appraise for more than that number but I'd be whole on each of them should something happen, especially with the salvage retention.

ZR
05-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Oh and before I'd even hung up the phone, email arrived with Liability slip info. Barely hung up and a customer service survey popped up as well.

Gr8Stang
05-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Oh and before I'd even hung up the phone, email arrived with Liability slip info. Barely hung up and a customer service survey popped up as well.

My problem with them was cost. They are a heck of a lot more expensive then Zehr/Echelon. Not sure why.....

johnny5
05-22-2020, 05:07 PM
Hagery won't touch a car with a roll bar 4pt or 6pt in Canada but will in the US.

ZR
05-22-2020, 05:48 PM
No grey area with them, roll bars are a no go.

fast Ed
05-22-2020, 07:56 PM
Will Zehr do coverage with a roll bar? Thinking about putting one in my 17.

Gabe
05-22-2020, 08:39 PM
I have been researching this recently.
I am currently with Echelon via Zehr and it is a no go, Zehr also represents Royal Sun and Alliance, they will cover with a roll bar. My rates will go down with RSA. Previously they wouldn’t write me with RSA when I first bought the car because I don’t have a DD in my name (provided a work vehicle). I still have a work vehicle, but since I have been with them for a number of years without issue they are going to write my policy with RSA.

MM 6 point roll bar with low slung bars and diagonal brace on order very soon now that this is sorted. Probably won’t install until the end of season as I won’t get any refund on my echelon policy for the remainder of the year (just paid the annual fee beginning of last month) and am required to get a new appraisal since it has been more than 3 years.
Get a few small projects finished with the car, get the bar installed and get the final appraisal once all completed.

fast Ed
05-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Thanks Gabe. Wonder if they would do newer stuff under that same type of policy. I'm in the same boat as far as not having a DD insured myself since I take a work demo.

I just want to use the Watson Engineering 4-point bar behind the seats, no door bars. Something proper to strap a harness to, and a bit of protection if I do put the car on its lid at Mosport.

Gabe
05-22-2020, 09:32 PM
I can’t comment on new vehicles. I had to push them a bit to research what my options were (would echelon write it, if they wouldn’t what were my options). I got told “no” a couple times, but they have a car on their website under featured vehicles with a cage so I pushed back with “who is this guy insured with”. I think I was moved over to a newer broker who didn’t know the answer and I was getting the short answer (she had no idea what a roll bar was).

FYI, I was never asked if I was putting in a 4 or 6 point. I wasn’t asked to confirm it wasn’t a 10 point cage