PDA

View Full Version : Where to rebuild a T5?

m_owing
05-18-2020, 08:08 PM
I have an 88GT manual.
It goes in gear solid, no slop, but takes a lot of effort. Grinds between 1st and 2nd when it’s cold. And grinds or doesn’t go at all into Reverse. I’m thinking it’s the synchros. Clutch and clutch cable are new.

I’m not sure if it needs a complete rebuild (or even what that includes) or just new synchros.

Where is recommended to do this and what kind of cost am I looking at?

Screw
05-18-2020, 08:12 PM
TDS Transmission in Newmarket

Zutz2v
05-18-2020, 08:27 PM
I have an 88GT manual.
It goes in gear solid, no slop, but takes a lot of effort. Grinds between 1st and 2nd when it’s cold. And grinds or doesn’t go at all into Reverse. I’m thinking it’s the synchros. Clutch and clutch cable are new.

I’m not sure if it needs a complete rebuild (or even what that includes) or just new synchros.

Where is recommended to do this and what kind of cost am I looking at?

Believe it or not Mr Transmission from my experience does great work for decent price. I use the one on highway 7 and pine valley in Woodbridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minaccia
05-18-2020, 08:30 PM
Call John Goodman at TDS and you'll be more than fine.

TDS Transmission in Newmarket

Scrape
05-19-2020, 07:11 AM
TDS also gets my vote. Those guys do great work.

Screw
05-19-2020, 11:59 AM
I think John has been doing T5’s since J&P day’s when he was in Scarborough, I think Technique was the shop .

WidowrRacing
05-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Another vote for John at TDS....he recently overhauled my trany for my fox body.

m_owing
05-19-2020, 03:22 PM
Another vote for John at TDS....he recently overhauled my trany for my fox body.

thanks for all the responses.

Widowr - was it a T5? You mind telling me what it cost?

m_owing
05-20-2020, 03:22 PM
Spoke to tds, very nice conversation. However, to do 2nd and 3rd synchros and bearings is apparently around $900. The parts have jumped in price a lot they said. Not sure I want to invest that much into only those parts in an old transmission. Back to the drawing board.

ZR
05-20-2020, 10:41 PM
Grind when cold......
-what fluid are you running?
-sure clutch is adjusted correctly or using auto adjuster?
-tough into rev, dropping into a forward gear first?

m_owing
05-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Grind when cold......
-what fluid are you running?
-sure clutch is adjusted correctly or using auto adjuster?
-tough into rev, dropping into a forward gear first?

-Mercon 5
-MM adjustable clutch cable I've played with the adjustment to get it just right
-I remembered after I wrote that that rev doesn't have synchro

anyone know T5 specialties in London? Sells rebuilt t5s

ZR
05-21-2020, 09:36 PM
How are you adjusting it?

bbriann
05-22-2020, 05:59 AM
Synchros last me 3 years, I keep extra set sitting on shelf....7000rpm shifts and low gears in rear don't help.

m_owing
05-23-2020, 12:15 PM
How are you adjusting it?

Firewall adjuster. I followed the specs from Maximum motorsports. Though they say “8lbs of force should move the pedal 1/2 inch” it’s hard to judge when my leg is pushing exactly 8lbs.

ZR
05-23-2020, 05:43 PM
At the firewall adjuster, pulled the cable with your hand forward / away from the adjuster, should have approx a loonie width of gap between flat on the cable and adjuster. Never ever ever go any tighter, hair looser is fine so long as your able to properly shift.

LX89
05-24-2020, 01:28 AM
Did you replace the stock plastic clutch quadrant?

Zutz2v
05-24-2020, 11:11 AM
I don’t know if this Info helps but I just seen on American muscle you can get a new T5 that’s built better from factor for 2200$ not sure if this is good or not

Harbinger
05-26-2020, 02:52 PM
TDS transmission in newmarket might help

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Edit : Didnt read above comments nevermind !

m_owing
05-28-2020, 08:09 PM
At the firewall adjuster, pulled the cable with your hand forward / away from the adjuster, should have approx a loonie width of gap between flat on the cable and adjuster. Never ever ever go any tighter, hair looser is fine so long as your able to properly shift.

Right. Just to clarify, when you (and MM) say tighter, that means unscrewing the adjuster (counterclockwise)?

Did you replace the stock plastic clutch quadrant?

Yes.

I don’t know if this Info helps but I just seen on American muscle you can get a new T5 that’s built better from factor for 2200$ not sure if this is good or not

Yes, it makes me want to buy an entire brand new transmission. The price you saw is, however, in USD and would probably have an expensive truck freight delivery charge even if I were to ship it to the border and pick it up myself.

ZR
05-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Did you try to adjust as I suggested?
Get a number in every season where adjustment is out to lunch.

Zutz2v
05-28-2020, 08:50 PM
Right. Just to clarify, when you (and MM) say tighter, that means unscrewing the adjuster (counterclockwise)?

Yes.

Yes, it makes me want to buy an entire brand new transmission. The price you saw is, however, in USD and would probably have an expensive truck freight delivery charge even if I were to ship it to the border and pick it up myself.

My sister does logistics I could ask her about freight for you

WidowrRacing
05-29-2020, 08:07 AM
Widowr - was it a T5? You mind telling me what it cost?[/QUOTE]

No it was a Tremec 3550 and it was upgraded with a lot of new parts to strengthen it.

m_owing
05-30-2020, 01:02 AM
My sister does logistics I could ask her about freight for you

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But with the current dollar I gotta save my pennies.

m_owing
06-01-2020, 01:42 AM
Did you try to adjust as I suggested?
Get a number in every season where adjustment is out to lunch.

Yes I was just about a “loonie thickness” as you said. Again, when you say tighter you mean a gap smaller than a loonie thickness? And looser would be more that a loonie?

ZR
06-01-2020, 07:54 AM
Yes tighter means less than a loonie thickness.

LX89
06-04-2020, 09:25 PM

With the transmission in gear and clutch pedal on the floor approximately how much should the clutch pedal come up before the clutch starts to engage?

Minaccia
06-04-2020, 09:50 PM
IMO, between 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up is ideal.