View Full Version : Dehumidifier experts

LX89
07-13-2020, 10:27 PM
My father has an old Eaton Viking 36 frost guard dehumidifier from the 70's.

When turned on the compressor will cycle on for 3 seconds and turn off then cycle on again after about 20 seconds for another 3 seconds,etc.
Filter is clean and the fan runs with no issue.
Took off the front cover and it's not dirty inside.

I took a temp sensor off the coils on the backside and nothing changed.
After putting the sensor back on the coil it ran perfect for several hours with the compressor always engaged.
It would eventually shut off and restart later.
Coils were colder and more water was dripping off them so I don't think it's low on refrigerant

Then it started the 3 second compressor cycling on/off again.
I can only see one sensor in the back.
What's the likely issue and are parts available?

IanGTCS
07-13-2020, 10:47 PM
Maybe a bad electrical contact? Just a wild guess but maybe you twisted it just right putting it back on then it vibrated loose again.

5.4MarkVIII
07-14-2020, 09:34 AM
Either a bad compressor or a bad relay on the side of the compressor. Relays are more likely and fairly universal based on compressor size.

If it’s the compressor time for new

LX89
07-14-2020, 09:26 PM
Yesterday afternoon my father moved that sensor on the back coil to another position and it has been running normally ever since with no on/off compressor cycling at the time of this post.

Don't know how long will keep running normally.
This thing is so old it has Robertson screws for the front cover and the rest might be Robertson which is a bonus and superior screw.

Made in Canada.

LX89
07-17-2020, 10:02 PM
Either a bad compressor or a bad relay on the side of the compressor. Relays are more likely and fairly universal based on compressor size.

If it’s the compressor time for new

When you say relay do you mean the dehumidifier humidistat,the switch that also turns it on and off?
That is probably the issue.

Still available for an old machine like this and approximate cost?
There is a number on it but I didn't write it down.

5.4MarkVIII
07-18-2020, 07:52 AM
it sounded more like the relay right on the side of the compressor. but if you moved the other one and it started working than that could be your problem. no way to know without the model number if parts are available or not. but based on age id guess not.

LX89
07-19-2020, 01:47 AM
it sounded more like the relay right on the side of the compressor. but if you moved the other one and it started working than that could be your problem. no way to know without the model number if parts are available or not. but based on age id guess not.

It worked for several hours after moving the defrost sensor in front,then compressor cycles on off briefly.
Moving that sensor may not be the issue as it worked for hours without the coils freezing up.
Coils were cold with water dripping off like usual.

Eaton Viking 36 frostguard
Model:ED36
Type:D36Q-XVGAFO
Serial:026011711EX

Humidistat switch.

Honeywell.
H4600A 1103

LX89
07-19-2020, 02:05 AM
website error that big grin should be a D ^^^
wtf I didn't type that.

can't edit that big grin out

5.4MarkVIII
07-19-2020, 08:29 AM
its hard to say. I would normally expect a bad humidistat to just quit. not cycle on and off like your describing.

most dehumidifiers have an auto off or float switch that shut them off when the water tank gets too full. so could be an issue with the float or the switch. Ive had some that just need to be opened up and given a really good cleaning.

when the compressor does the start stop thing. does it sound like its actually running or just a humming/buzzing sound then it turns off with an autable click. does the compressor get hot when it does this?

LX89
07-19-2020, 01:48 PM
When it was running normally or not I pushed up on the float and it shut off.
Did that several times and it always shut off so that works.

By memory I think it does make a click noise when the compressor shuts off.
The fan keeps running when the compressor shuts off.
Don't know if the compressor gets hot but the air coming out the front wasn't hot when it ran properly.

I took the big cover off the machine and it's not dirty inside and I blew the fins out and no dust came out.

It has worked normally for several hours or close to a day then starts acting up again.
When it works the compressor stays engaged,coils are cold and lots of water is dripping off them so the compressor should be ok.

Seems to be a intermittent/electrical issue that's driving me crazy,lol.
Are parts still available for this machine?

5.4MarkVIII
07-19-2020, 04:35 PM
I could find not parts listing. other than universal stuff.

every compressor has a relay and capacitor that help it start.

they are pretty much universal

https://www.reliableparts.ca/product/inv_URCO410

for the 25-30 bucks it might be worth putting one on and seeing if that fixes you up.

https://youtu.be/RamyqjqeLXA

make sure you remove both the relay and the old capacitor new kit has it all built in.

LX89
07-20-2020, 10:33 PM
Looks like that compressor relay is the problem.
Ran it last night until it started cycling on and off.

When it clicked you could see a blue spark at the base of the relay cover.
Is that relay in the link plug and play with no cutting,splicing wires or different connectors?

5.4MarkVIII
07-21-2020, 07:29 AM
you cut off the two wires to the existing relay and wire nut them to the two wires on the new part (dosnt mater which wire). and then attach the 3 wires to the compressor pins.

LX89
07-21-2020, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the help.

LX89
07-23-2020, 10:01 PM
you cut off the two wires to the existing relay and wire nut them to the two wires on the new part (dosnt mater which wire). and then attach the 3 wires to the compressor pins.

Took the cover off the compressor relay and took off the relay to see the pin layout yesterday.
Relay says Embraco and the compressor is probably the same,(no label).

There's 4 wires going to the relay.(not sure if a capacitor you mentioned above is built into the relay-I see nothing else besides the relay)

2 white wires are connected together by a dual spade connector and connect to a spade terminal at the top of the relay.
1 white and 1 black wire are connected the same way and connect to a spade terminal at the bottom of the relay.

I'm no electric whiz,but it looks like I can attach 2 male spade connectors to the 2 black power wires on the 3 n 1 relay and connect to those double spade connectors and not cut any wires.

Compressor pin position is a V layout.
Found out how to check for common,start,run.
top right pin to bottom pin-6.1 ohms
top left pin to bottom pin-1.4 ohms
top pin to top pin-7.3 ohms
Came up with this.

R S
C

Sound good?
Haven't bought the new relay yet.

5.4MarkVIII
07-23-2020, 10:17 PM
no compressor manufacture gives a specific Ohm reading. you want to make sure you have a reading between each of the pins. which you have.

and NO continuity between any pin and ground (one of the copper lines will work)

the 4 wires, one will be power one will be neutral and two will go to the capacitor. (sometimes they were mounted off the compressor, if you trace them back you should be able to determine which is which. capacitor is usualy a cylinder with two wires out the top.

if you use a kit like the one I posted you can remove this completely and just wire to the power and neutral.

there is really no way to test a compressor other than above, so if it checks out then I put on an start relay kit and see what it does.

if your apt (and based on the winding checks I would guess yes) you can check your amperage depending on age and size of compressor you might se a 10-12 amp spike on start and it should level off and run a .5-2 amps (again depending on age and size)

compressor should have size on the sticker or you can math it if you feel so inclined. E over I/R

LX89
07-23-2020, 11:37 PM
Took a look at the wires.
One power white wire coming off extension cord goes directly to the fan.The second goes to the relay.

Neutral white goes to a light and a black wire goes to this light then to the float switch.
Light turns on when it's full of water.
This light is long and round.

Larger black wire on neutral white goes to defrost switch on the coils.
Beats me.
This thing is getting frustrating.

Any chance there isn't a remote capacitor and it's part of the comp relay?
This thing is likely from the 70's.

5.4MarkVIII
07-24-2020, 07:25 AM
its possible. but hard to say without looking at it any way you can post a pic of the relay and the wires going to it?

LX89
07-24-2020, 12:10 PM
I don't have a camera or even know how to post pics that aren't on the internet.

Relay says Embraco and there's a sticker that says FSP 1156815.
Top of the relay has just under 1/2" inch high and 3/4" wide of exposed copper coil windings.

LX89
07-24-2020, 11:27 PM
This website says not all electric motors have a capacitor.
Will that 3 n 1 kit still work if no capacitor was there in the first place?

https://inspectapedia.com/electric/Motor_Capacitor_Location.php

5.4MarkVIII
07-25-2020, 07:44 AM
look something like this?

https://www.reliableparts.ca/product/inv_61003103

LX89
07-26-2020, 02:37 AM
look something like this?

https://www.reliableparts.ca/product/inv_61003103

Not even close.
Only the top with the coil winding's is close and nothing else.

This relay is much longer in length and there is no capacitor to be found.
Supco site says the 3 n 1 relay works with or without a capacitor.

That original relay part number comes up online but good luck finding one.
That Supco universal 3n1 relay should hopefully work at this point.
No other option available.

LX89
07-29-2020, 05:35 PM
Turns out there is a label on the compressor but it's at the back and I can't read it because it's in a tight spot with the metal support for the fan in the way,lol.

Tried using a mirror and flashlight with no luck.
Tying to see the HP rating for the compressor.
If it's less than 1/4hp would the 1/4-1/3hp relay still be ok?

Actually went to buy one earlier today close by and the guy says,"we only sell to trades people because of liability issues",another lol.

5.4MarkVIII
07-29-2020, 06:20 PM
I think you will be fine. old unit like that I would imagine its at least a 1/4

if you cant get one local let me know and I can ship one to you

LX89
07-29-2020, 09:59 PM
Thanks.
Found a local appliance parts store that sells parts to the public and they have them in stock.
First place,United Refrigeration doesn't sell appliances,just refrigeration equipment and parts/supplies.They were the closest Supco distributor 5 minutes away.

LX89
08-26-2020, 09:52 PM
Installed the new compressor relay three weeks ago and it's been working great since.
Used a Supco RCO410 since there was no capacitor.
Total plug and play after installing male disconnects on the relay power wires.

The old Viking continues to conquer :thumbsup:

I doubt the junk made these days would last as long as this unit.

83 5.0
08-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Similar part fails on fridge compressors too, I have resurrected a couple of fridges for family and my own after replacing it. I keep a spare on hand, for $25 cheap insurance. Nice to see it not go to landfill