PDA

View Full Version : Pulled over for no front plate

MUSTANGWOP
07-19-2020, 12:48 PM
I've owned my 2003 Cobra for 11 years and never ran a front plate (I know, my risk).....but I've always had a "no drill" plate bracket in the trunk with the front plate mounted to it.
On Friday evening I went for a short drive, officer passed me in the other direction and pulled an immediate u turn to follow me and throw the lights on. I knew I was going the speed limit so I thought it must be for no front plate, sure enough it was. I explained to the officer that I just detailed the car and forgot to put the plate back on but I'll do it now if that's ok. The officer was amazing and was more interested in my car and the plate bracket as her dad has a Z06 Vette and would love a bracket like mine. So I gave her the details of where to look for one, chatted for a short bit more and I was on my way. Super nice officer and great experience.
I wish people would stop labeling all law enforcement as the same because clearly this isn't the case.
To all law enforcement out there, thank you for your service and stay safe.

MUSTANGWOP
07-19-2020, 01:16 PM
Not sure what you mean, officer pulled me over for a legit reason, issue solved on the spot. Nice officer, nice experience. Done and done.
I just wanted to share that law enforcement is not out to harass the car hobby, follow the rules and no issues.
I'm sorry if you hate the world and all females. I can't help you with that, that's your own issue to deal with.

Screw
07-19-2020, 02:12 PM
I’m not sure what he meant , but positive feedback may help others with communications going forward by this example.

MUSTANGWOP
07-19-2020, 02:34 PM
not sure how you got hate on that.

You had a good experience with an officer. Tell her boss you had a good experience is the best way to encourage more of this good behavior. She'll get positive encouragement from her boss and probably keep acting in this positive manner.

If I had a friendly encounter with an officer I'd try to set up a date. I have dated a female cop in the past.I extend my apologies to you but in all fairness you do post a lot of negativity and hate in general so I took your comment in that manner.

MUSTANGWOP
07-19-2020, 02:43 PM
No worries.

Negativity yes, hate not so much, clumsy wording often. But perception is everything.Cheers!

Gr8Stang
07-19-2020, 03:05 PM
How's the plate look on the front now? :goodone:

MUSTANGWOP
07-19-2020, 03:21 PM
How's the plate look on the front now? :goodone:Looked like crap to me Scott, lol. I took it off when I came home and put it in the trunk again until the next interaction. Hopefully it goes smooth again if I get questioned again.

Gr8Stang
07-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Looked like crap to me Scott, lol. I took it off when I came home and put it in the trunk again until the next interaction. Hopefully it goes smooth again if I get questioned again.

My guess is, there will be a note in their system now on your interaction with Durham's finest. I think that's standard protocol. So, unfortunately if you happen to get pulled over again, you're likely not going to be able to talk your way out it. BUT....I think the odds of you getting pulled over again are pretty slim, given how often you're out in the car and the fact you went 11 yrs. without having an issue. Good luck!

ZR
07-19-2020, 03:41 PM
Ran with mine under the floor mat for years with no issue but keeping the mindset some summers it could cost me a ticket or two which I accepted. Fast forward to 3 or so years ago, friend of a friend with a Vette got either 2 or 3 no plate tickets in one summer, ins co treated them as three tickets n bounced him into facility. That got my attention, could care less about fine but ins spin is a genuine consideration. Later same summer, pulled over for no plate, officer was not polite but did give me a warning citing it was entered into the system and next time "I forgot after detailing the car" I'd get a ticket...............plate been back on ever since.

92redragtop
07-19-2020, 04:21 PM
Same for me - after 2 tickets on 2 consecutive stops I put the plate on (first time car did not have bracket for front plate after I imported it from US but did not get removable bracket right away; second time I was heading home from car wash and didn't put the bracket back on but officer did not like that response). I got one dropped and the other paid but the insurance thing is a bother. I was polite, officer was polite but still ticketed both times.

OP was lucky he got an officer who was interested in the car and could relate to the plate issue via a close family member, and felt a warning versus tying up the legal system was a reasonable approach.

MUSTANGWOP
07-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Yup, agree on all accounts. I've decided to roll the dice. I for one will not bitch and moan should it result in a ticket in the future, however, at that point I will probably run the no drill bracket from then on. Maybe my conscience will get the best of me before then and start running with it all the time, who knows.

Armen
07-19-2020, 06:23 PM
My issue wouldn’t be the occasional ticket. It would be how my insurance company might interpret the occasional ticket, even a minor one like this. We all know how they can be...

Hutch
07-19-2020, 06:25 PM
I use to always drive my fox saleens with the plate wedged between the glass and dash. The saleens came with a bumper filler right where the plate mount goes so no way I was drilling. Never had any issues even at road side checks. Always made me a little nervous when I saw cops though. My current Shelby has a sto n sho plate holder. I always drive with the plate on. It’s really low and I don’t care if it doesn’t look as good while I’m driving because I can’t see it anyways! If I park the car at a meet or track, that’s really the only time I take it off. It’s law to have one and I can’t be bothered with the hassle if I get pulled over.

fast Ed
07-19-2020, 07:11 PM
I finally got a Sto & Sho holder for my 17, have to get it mounted on there. Car was originally from Alberta and had no plate bracket, so I didn't want to drill, and it's nice to have the plate out of the way at track days for a bit of extra air flow.

ZR
07-19-2020, 08:33 PM
My issue wouldn’t be the occasional ticket. It would be how my insurance company might interpret the occasional ticket, even a minor one like this. We all know how they can be...

Exactly how I thought about it Chris. If not for the ins spin off, could care less if I got a couple or three a season, small price to pay for keeping it how I like it.

Foxstang
07-20-2020, 08:29 AM
It's best to avoid getting attention, use the sto-n-show (or however you call it) adapter. My general rule is: no window tint, no modifying of lights (like tinted tails or whatever), no plate coverings.... Nothing to draw unwanted attention (other than sound I guess). Passed by a few cops this weekend, a few looks but I take it as "wow a cool car" kind of look lol

I'm just glad my A9L didn't decide to start acting up by making it sound like I wanted to race the cop car beside me at a red light LOL

Zutz2v
07-20-2020, 08:36 AM
Most of you gentlemen I would assume will hardly get bugged by cops. I’ve been on a few cruises with this club and I can say you guys are all class. So things like license plates and such will get looked over. For the most part cops will see you guys relaxed and enjoying your rides which everyone appreciates.

I’m happy to say I’m apart of this club. First order of business in ditching my front plate lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankie
07-20-2020, 10:18 AM
I use to always drive my fox saleens with the plate wedged between the glass and dash. The saleens came with a bumper filler right where the plate mount goes so no way I was drilling. Never had any issues even at road side checks. Always made me a little nervous when I saw cops though. My current Shelby has a sto n sho plate holder. I always drive with the plate on. It’s really low and I don’t care if it doesn’t look as good while I’m driving because I can’t see it anyways! If I park the car at a meet or track, that’s really the only time I take it off. It’s law to have one and I can’t be bothered with the hassle if I get pulled over.

My brother had an RX-7 back in the early 2000's that he ran with the front plate on the dash like that.
Had an officer pull up beside him at a light and shout at him to put the plate on the front of the car.
He took the hint, never a problem after that.