PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the hobby rant...

Foxstang
07-29-2020, 08:05 AM
Been a while for a Grade-A rant... As you know I'm selling my foxes (one gone, another to go) and soon all my spare parts and other fox related accessories. And I've done this once before but this time is very different.

It's an unhealthy habit for me:

It's a drug! I felt an overwhelming shame the last few times I put money in my 87, recently an $850 hood. On my way to pick it up, I was thinking "what is wrong with me, why am I doing this?". I sunk so much money into this car and yet I put 3,000km in just over 5 years. I put so much time into this thing, absorbing fuel, oil, rust particles, grime and god-knows-what and for what? I put like 6k into this car during the pandemic alone. I was obessive about it, always looking for a stronger high (more parts). I can't even take a shit without being on marketplace looking for parts or on lmr.com...

Driving for me sucks now:

My notch drives TIGHT, lots of power, handles better than my 2017 performance pack ever did. It's a foxbody that anyone would freaking love to own and I finally have something that is a blast to drive. That's what's breaking the camel's back right now for me. Driving isn't fun for me anymore. I'm scared to even break traction these days. Hell I rarely even break the speed limit now lol And this is the guy who LOVED breaking his own speed records on the 407 LOL. So if I drive like an old man now, what's the point in having a car like this? My ecoboost truck is more than enough power for what I do (I don't even like sport mode). I actually enjoy a short rip @ Boundary Road in my truck (off-road) than I do a rip in the fox these days.

Car shows:

I admit, I am sad that the big shows are canned this year (Thanks Chinese government). But thinking about it - car shows aren't that exciting for me anymore anyway. Walk around, hot as hell, watch people point defects and tell me "I should put the battery in the trunk" (which I did this year lol) and have the same conversations over and over again. Meh, I'd rather be in the pool, drinking some beer and talking about "good ol days" with close friends.

Family hates the fox:

The other thing is my wife hates the car, she loved the 2017 and is totally ok with me getting something newer (when the situation permits again). But we go for rips in the fox, she is visibly miserable in the thing with no AC and my kid is whining that there's too much wind sitting in the back seat lol And I just feel bad for torturing my family so I can row through gears. I'm spending time and money and being 110% selfish. I want to get back into music, mountain biking and other things we can enjoy as a family. We are getting a pool next summer, mix that with the hottub and general outside setup we have, it's much nicer to just be at home.

Community isn't the same anymore (not this one, mind you):

I witness a bunch of nonsense, to the point where I left ALL facebook groups save for my own and just generally stay away from those smaller car shows. There are people who can afford amazing mint foxes and the same people will put everyone down that doesn't have such a ride or if they feel you got "ripped off". They're more than happy to mess with your reputation based on their own ego, talk behind your back, post shit about you and your rides - who needs this? I don't judge my life based on how clean of a toy car I own. To be honest, I think it's stupid to put so much money on an 80's car like that. I'd put a little more and get something real nice like an R8, or Corvette or something worth driving (that's just me, no offence). But I'm not going to point fingers, my thinking is if you're happy, that's awesome! Thumbs up! I don't generally care - Just don't push your thinking on me or cause shit, and we be friends.

Can't get back into it again:

The positive thing is, once out, I'm out for good. I can't afford to build another notch like I have. I did the math, even with some used parts. It would cost between $30,000 to $37,000 replicate this car (which I'd sell for 20, maybe even 19.5). I don't have the money to do this all over again, and if I get back into a very high paying job - I won't be allowed to afford it anyway and I think (hope) I learnt my lesson.

Conclusion:

I loved my foxes, they will always hold a special place but it's time to look at them from a far and enjoy the memories I created in the past instead of trying to relive them. Circumstances forced to think about it like the cost, the addiction, some bad apples and the outcome is clear as day. Get out, enjoy life and try to be a better person by focusing on what's really important. Don't worry, I'll still rant and help people with fox related questions. My online magazine is being sold as well.

MUSTANGWOP
07-29-2020, 08:22 AM
Steve, do what makes you happy. Life's to short to live miserable.
Take care and enjoy what life's to bring to you next.
Don't be a stranger around here.

Minaccia
07-29-2020, 08:38 AM
You've out grown the Fox so it's time to buy something your whole family will enjoy not just you, I was a huge Fox fan but now I have no use for one because my 11 GT does what I need it to do and lots more.

The millennials are here and some are into cars but they are nothing like us older guys, they constantly need attention.

Armen
07-29-2020, 08:42 AM
When I got rid of my last Foxbody and went newer, it was the best decision for me. My 2015 is 5 years old now and it’s just such a good all around car. I love a nice clean Fox or any older car, really, but I just don’t have the time, inclination or patience to maintain them. My car now I just get in and go. Top down, top up, nice calm cruise, sometimes a bit more enthusiastic with the shift paddles in track mode, or a fun day of tracking full out. A/C, cooled comfortable seats... Nope, no complaints.

Foxstang
07-29-2020, 08:48 AM
yeah my wife is still mad I opted to keep the notch versus the 2017 GT. She may have been right in hindsight.

I really enjoy my little Ranger, wish I got the higher end Sport model with leather interior but it does the job pretty well.

Boomer
07-29-2020, 08:57 AM
Hey Steve, I can relate to all of your thoughts and beliefs regarding the car hobby. I have to restrain my self from spending money into upgrading my foxbody. I do constantly scour Kijiji and LMR and other suppliers for different wheels or a carb upgrade, different springs or shocks, adding a scoop to the hood, even considered changing to EFI motor....it's addicting I know!!!

There's been a few times when I get pissed off at life and want to sell everything I own and move to a small house in a small town near the ocean. Reality is I've wanted a 82-85 GT and I've been lucky the last few years to own a few. Nothing like driving a car that takes you back to some good old days when you were young and had very few worries....

My current Fox is an 85 GT with T-Tops and doesn't really anything. My daughters actually like going for a ride in it and tolerate the wind noise and rough ride. They love the 80's tunes as we cruise too.

Hey! later on if you need a Fox Fix, give me call and you can take my 85 GT for a cruise. I really hope you enjoy what ever you decide on doing. Life is too short to be miserable.

Cheers mon ami!
Joe

RedSN
07-29-2020, 09:09 AM
You are WAY too obsessive to own a Fox. And I mean that in a nice way, your builds make me drool and miss my old notch.

I hear you about building a nice, good handling machine and be scared that the cops will take it if you let loose. There’s an easy solution to that: track day.

Uncle Buck
07-29-2020, 09:53 AM
All the best as you turn the page in life. I understand what you're saying and can fully appreciate it. I think I went through a similar thought process when I decided to sell my blown s197 and buy a classic.

Good luck to you sir and remember you don't need to have a car to still be a "car guy".

The Newmare
07-29-2020, 12:08 PM
When I got rid of my last Foxbody and went newer, it was the best decision for me. My 2015 is 5 years old now and it’s just such a good all around car. I love a nice clean Fox or any older car, really, but I just don’t have the time, inclination or patience to maintain them. My car now I just get in and go. Top down, top up, nice calm cruise, sometimes a bit more enthusiastic with the shift paddles in track mode, or a fun day of tracking full out. A/C, cooled comfortable seats... Nope, no complaints.

love my 2015 as well.started in a Fox body and worked my way up.Increasingly better year after year,no complaints!!

Laffs
07-29-2020, 02:44 PM
My stance has always been:

If you love your car while you stare at it in the garage completely dust and lint free under a cover - awesome
If you don't give a rats ass about cleanliness but love your car as you thrash it around the road course - awesome
If you could give a flying fuck about going left or right but love your car as you rip it 1320ft at a time - awesome
If have the most speed, handling, cleanliness all be damned its just a love of your car on a good cruise - awesome
If it's more headache than joy - ship it

If the car makes you more guilty than happy its not the right fit. I think every guy on here has experienced a part of the scenarios you discussed. Lifes too short to pigeon hole yourself as just being "fox guy" if that does not make you happy. Maybe theres a another ride that will, or maybe you'll find you enjoy that the cars are better as a memory and theres other experiences to have. Best thing is at the end of the day you can enjoy a lot of the fun parts of the hobby without needing the wheels.

ZR
07-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Back in my Fox days, had a pretty nice ride, comfy Recaro's and a decent ride, killer AC n decent stereo, lil obnoxious but not so bad, wife would not ride in it period. Bought the 2000 GT, could not keep her out of it, same goes for the Cobra. No one thing you can pin it on but happy wife = at least a semi decent life.

BAB CObra
07-29-2020, 06:17 PM
My stance has always been:

If you love your car while you stare at it in the garage completely dust and lint free under a cover - awesome
If you don't give a rats ass about cleanliness but love your car as you thrash it around the road course - awesome
If you could give a flying fuck about going left or right but love your car as you rip it 1320ft at a time - awesome
If have the most speed, handling, cleanliness all be damned its just a love of your car on a good cruise - awesome
If it's more headache than joy - ship it

If the car makes you more guilty than happy its not the right fit. I think every guy on here has experienced a part of the scenarios you discussed. Lifes too short to pigeon hole yourself as just being "fox guy" if that does not make you happy. Maybe theres a another ride that will, or maybe you'll find you enjoy that the cars are better as a memory and theres other experiences to have. Best thing is at the end of the day you can enjoy a lot of the fun parts of the hobby without needing the wheels.

meh you know my stance lol

Stephen06GT
07-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Do what makes you and your family happy. You don’t have to answer to anyone else. Also, no matter what you drive, you’re always welcome here.

Hutch
07-29-2020, 10:00 PM
I would wait a bit and go buy another s550. You can’t beat how they drive. For you to have made a fox handle better than an s550 PP car it was cost as much as an s550 if not more. Also why not get another if your family enjoyed it? My kids didn’t care for my fox saleens but LoVE my Shelby. My youngest was more excited than me to get it. That bugged my wife (in an ok way though) but the car is Great for me also sharing something with my boys. She actually doesn’t mind the car either to drive in but wouldn’t go in my foxes unless had too (plus thought they where ugly).
As for feeling guilty I get that. Everything I spend, including purchase of the car, is extra money outside of my regular job. Figure out a side hustle that you enjoy. My side stuff also helps pay for extra things we need or want. So in my opinion we all win. Even spending time away from family sometimes can seem hard. Doing car stuff instead of playing with the kids. It’s all a fine balance. My Shelby in the garage right now covered in bugs and dust. I was able to be out enjoying but then family came first after. So it will sit until I have time. It’s just a car.
I’m not trying to convince you to stay in the hobby but I know how passionate you are of it. There is always comprise. Sometimes you have to work hard to get it. Just my opinion.

Foxstang
08-01-2020, 08:58 AM
Welp, sold the 87 yesterday. Deposit accepted. Stand out guy, I hope he enjoys the piss out of the car. He wanted to build one pretty much how I did this one so it's the right fit. Was 100% open and honest, showed him the good and the bad. It really is a great deal for someone. Hard to build this under 30G today.

Now selling a bunch of small things like bumper, fenders, etc... Garage is gonna look empty. But I'm feeling 50/50 over my decision LOL Oh well... worst case I buy my dream Mach1 and be done with it.

5.4MarkVIII
08-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Interested in a half finished 64 Tbird
Or a clapped out 35 Plymouth. Lol

Gr8Stang
08-02-2020, 11:58 AM
I think others here have said some good words of wisdom. I'm sure many of us here share your same feelings at times with our Mustang hobby. In the end, you need to feel good about it, and if you don't....time to move on (which is what you're doing). Be happy, life's way too short not to be. :cheers:

Darkhorse
08-02-2020, 01:04 PM
If you buy another S550 make sure to get one with Magna-ride. Best riding Mustang since a stock 03/04 Cobra.

Foxstang
08-02-2020, 01:35 PM
I’m in love with the Bronco right now. Lol

5.4MarkVIII
08-02-2020, 02:17 PM
I’m in love with the Bronco right now. Lol

Do it.

trickflow-jay
08-02-2020, 08:19 PM
$ can be replaced.....not a good fox yolo whether its a bronco or whatever.

Foxstang
08-03-2020, 07:58 AM
This whole process was hard to be honest. I grew up around cars, always worked on them since maybe 12 years of age. But something changed perhaps a few years back but kept plowing through despite it. And as was I selling off my cars, some tools and parts, I was going through some form of withdrawal already lol. But it’s pretty clear to me why I’m doing this and now I’m more than happy to sit on the sidelines. As more stuff goes away, the better I feel. I won’t be able to afford getting back into foxes and I’m happy with that limitation.

Wife gave me the ok to buy another fun car like a Mach 1 but the more I think about it. The more I just want to keep it simple and stick to ONE daily driver for myself. In this case my new Ranger. It’s more than not wanting to be in a fox anymore. I just don’t like driving anymore.

I’ve even sold my hoist to a friend that will get good use from it.

Scrape
08-03-2020, 08:15 AM
The Bronco is going to be a sweet ride. Never been an off roader type of person but that thing is hella cool.

RedSN
08-03-2020, 09:18 AM
I just don’t like driving anymore.
You REALLY need a good dose of track.

Zippy
08-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Sounds like you should buy a prius.

Zexhuffer
08-04-2020, 10:28 AM
I somewhat feel like you do with my cobra.

Nothing wrong with it but the last 3 years I've put maybe 1000 kms on it. Still sounds awesome, runs nice and looks great.....just lost the love of driving it.

So I turn to other hobbies to spend money on and they get the attention.....and my cash.
This year its all about arcade machines and a two wheel ride for me, which came home 2 months ago and couldn't be happier.

Will drive the cobra time to time just to hear it and park it again..just not ready to part yet, will see next year.

hsousa88
08-04-2020, 11:22 AM
Between fishing and my kid.. lil time for the fox. Still nice to take out a few times a year.

UnlimitedTraction
08-04-2020, 08:03 PM
If you get another new Mustang....take it to the road course (Mosport GP or TMP or Shannonville). It will completely change your perspective about performance cars and it is a completely different crowd. I used to do the car shows too and it got really boring and I had people ask me why did I enter my stock Mustang in the modified section of a car show lol. I know you feel about spending money...I spent way too much and I spent way too much doing track days but it is a lot of fun and the experience is worth it.

Foxstang
08-09-2020, 08:58 AM
So... got my RC truck (Senton 3S brushless)... goes up to 80kmh LOL. Some bashing done but ripped the rubber right off a wheel and my spur gear + slipping plates burnt up.

I'm liking this hobby, pretty fun and you get to beat the living crap out of the machine, and simply upgrade the parts that break lol

RedSN
08-09-2020, 09:11 AM
...fun and you get to beat the living crap out of the machine, and simply upgrade the parts that break lol
You just summed up “going to the track”

StAnger
08-09-2020, 10:32 AM
You just summed up “going to the track”

But R/C cars are a whole lot cheaper to fix.

Foxstang
08-10-2020, 11:13 AM
yes... an entire new paint job, including the entire shell is around 70 bucks lol