PDA

View Full Version : am I too old to get into construction?

Foxstang
08-14-2020, 09:07 AM
May have an opportunity to join the club... union and all. I have a strong work ethic and told I'd climb up pretty damn fast in the industry. Or so I'm told. I guess mixed with my business, leadership and project management backgound could help climb the ropes...

Anyway at 42... though? I would be working along side people half my age but twice as lazy lol

RedSN
08-14-2020, 09:15 AM
Go fo it. 42 isn’t even mid-life crisis mode yet.

I just started a new job where I’m older than my boss by a couple of years, and way older than my co-workers. It’s a slightly different role than my last job, so I’m having to ask the kids for help and guidance.

Gabe
08-14-2020, 09:27 AM
I don't see why you couldn't, if it is something you think you will enjoy and find rewarding then I agree with Don, go for it

Laffs
08-14-2020, 09:34 AM
Would your role be labour or management?

True Blue
08-14-2020, 09:52 AM
Need more info on what aspect of construction to give an opinion.

Zexhuffer
08-14-2020, 09:54 AM
May have an opportunity to join the club... union and all. I have a strong work ethic and told I'd climb up pretty damn fast in the industry. Or so I'm told. I guess mixed with my business, leadership and project management backgound could help climb the ropes...

Anyway at 42... though? I would be working along side people half my age but twice as lazy lol

What union? What will you start as and what your background........nationality?...trust me it makes a difference depending on what union lol

I Joined 506 2 years ago then moved to 183 for more money and better job. Im now 44 and only thing i can say is that, like anything else moving up in unions or companies is who you know and WHO YOU KNOW, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
The money is great, pension is great, 10% vacation pay and amazing benefits especially if you have a spouse or kids. But lots of drama, lots of backstabbing but if you keep your head up and just do your job you can make it past most of it.

Das 5.0
08-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Do it....

hsousa88
08-14-2020, 03:27 PM
What type of construction?

JZ67
08-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Do it! I'm 50 and consider joining construction or a trade every day. I've got a good gig but getting tired of the bullshit but it's the bullshit I know. I'm seriously considering sticking it out until 2025 and then making a switch into trades at 55. My hill will be tougher to climb than yours but this isn't about me. Have at it!

Screw
08-15-2020, 09:58 AM
42 you’re still young nuff to do what you want

RedSN
08-15-2020, 12:08 PM
…I'm seriously considering sticking it out until 2025 and then making a switch into trades at 55.
I’m sticking it out until 55 ....then retiring!

newbiestangowner
08-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Awesome!!! Well done, good planning!
I’ve got to stick around for the long haul unfortunately full term , 20 plus yrs :) I think
Not sure I’m gonna make it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
08-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Appliance repair.

It dosnt make you as much as some other trades. BUT. For you guys saying you want to move away from the cities for a quieter life. There are many places in Ontario that are red zones for multiple manufactures. This means NO servicer in those areas.

Most training is few months or online.

The manufactures don’t care so much about a ticket (other than gas if you want to work on that stuff). As long as you pass their tests for which they offer training on if You do their warranty work.

bbriann
08-15-2020, 07:25 PM
At 42 I was great shape...now 52 I'm only good for infrequent home renovations...I just sit front computer planning work for others to perform....eligible to retire 6 months.

83 5.0
08-15-2020, 09:45 PM
Go for it, at 40 you are young enough to make the change, 25 years out to retirement is not out of the norm.
Seems with Covid, a number of people are making a change, my neices boyfriend who is also 40 , is doing the same thing

Gabe
08-15-2020, 09:47 PM

Hey, I am on that plan as well

JZ67
08-16-2020, 08:26 AM

No one likes a show off, Don! ;)

I won't be in retirement position by 55 but I will be in a far better position to not have to deal with bullshit. Going into trades for 5 - 10 will be my pre-retirement.

Appliance repair.

It dosnt make you as much as some other trades. BUT. For you guys saying you want to move away from the cities for a quieter life. There are many places in Ontario that are red zones for multiple manufactures. This means NO servicer in those areas.

Most training is few months or online.

The manufactures don’t care so much about a ticket (other than gas if you want to work on that stuff). As long as you pass their tests for which they offer training on if You do their warranty work.

This sounds perfect for me. I'll have to keep this in mind. Once we are ready, we are leaving the city for peace and tranquility.

JZ67
08-16-2020, 02:05 PM
No one likes a show off, Don! ;)

I won't be in retirement position by 55 but I will be in a far better position to not have to deal with bullshit. Going into trades for 5 - 10 will be my pre-retirement.

This sounds perfect for me. I'll have to keep this in mind. Once we are ready, we are leaving the city for peace and tranquility.

Of course, no sooner did I reply to this and the bellow in my washing machine split. I must have some kind of joojoo. Good or bad, that's way too much of a coincidence!

5.4MarkVIII
08-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Something to keep in mind for the guys looking for a change. Make sure you have something lined up before you jump ship. Both my father and my father in law got thrown unwillingly back into the unemployment line in their 50’s.

Was not easy for either of them to find work and neither ended up finding something in a different field that payed the same as the careers they left

If you expect a company to invest 3-5 year minimum into training you they are gonna want to know your sticking around.
The won’t support a 3 year apprenticeship if they know your planing on retiring in 5

Gerbie28
08-16-2020, 07:20 PM
Been in the Construction industry since I was 16, started working for my uncle’s company as a flag man and eventually moved up to labourer and eventually moved on to operate Heavily Machinery till now, both labouring and operating machinery are great jobs that pay well, 42 years old is not old to start, if your a 183 Union member you can probably retire with a full pension at 60 give or take a year at 1.5 credits a year depending on how many hours you work a year of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83 5.0
08-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Something to keep in mind for the guys looking for a change. Make sure you have something lined up before you jump ship. Both my father and my father in law got thrown unwillingly back into the unemployment line in their 50’s.

Was not easy for either of them to find work and neither ended up finding something in a different field that payed the same as the careers they left

If you expect a company to invest 3-5 year minimum into training you they are gonna want to know your sticking around.
The won’t support a 3 year apprenticeship if they know your planing on retiring in 5

Yes post 50 seems to be the line where you have a load of experience, but employers look at the long game, unless you are management bringing something they need, most companies won't want to invest the costs for sure.

JZ67
08-23-2020, 09:30 AM
And this morning my dishwasher throws an error code! I shouldn't have responded to this thread.