PDA

View Full Version : 2020 just keeps giving.

5.4MarkVIII
08-25-2020, 06:30 PM
so my mom has been having some health issues for a few years. something called degenerative cardiovascular disease. that is affecting her brain, leading to something else called vestibular migraines. eventually this will lead to dementia.

she has also had some lumps on her thyroid that they have been watching but last sample about 2 years ago showed no malignancy. she also undergoes mamogram every couple years due to family history. of the big BC.

this spring she started to loose weight fast. dropped a fair bit and has been having trouble eating. upset stomach all the time. so they have been ramping up all kinds of tests to see if its related to the meds she is on or her type 2 diabetes. or something else.

had another biopsy last week on her thyroid lumps and a mamagam.

dr called and said something showed up on the mam and they wanted to do an ultrasound to get a better look. the tech started the ultrasound and then almost immediately left and brought the dr in. They took one look and said they are not gonna biopsy and wait she is calling the surgeon to see how soon she can get in to have multiple lumps removed.

would not say the C word but said they are not waiting, and also have contacted the other dr for the thyroid to get a rush on those results.

they wont say much other than that and I cant say if that's because they don't want to say till they know for sure or because they think its really bad.

more waiting.

N89
08-25-2020, 06:56 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. Keep your head up, Hopefully things will get better for your mom soon.
I went thru something similar with my mom, it took a toll on the whole family but thank god she is ok now.
Stay strong, hoping the results come back negative.

5.4MarkVIII
08-25-2020, 09:18 PM
Thanks. Waiting sucks. Hardest part is trying to figure out what to tell the kids.

I watched my grandmother die of cancer. I want to shield them but also want them to see her as much as possible

To top it all off had my first full blown asthma attack today. Haven’t had one since I was a kid. So that was fun.

Stephen06GT
08-25-2020, 09:27 PM
All the best to your mom.

92redragtop
08-25-2020, 09:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom's health issues - I hope the actions turn out to be purely pre-emptive and turns to a positive outcome healthwise.

Scrape
08-26-2020, 02:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your mother. Sending prayers her way for a healthy recovery no matter what.

OldSchool
08-26-2020, 02:43 PM
There is a positive to this. They are on it and being active. Many women lead long lives with such proactive surgeries.
God speed and be strong

ZR
08-26-2020, 08:29 PM
Hope all moves in the right direction.

5.4MarkVIII
08-27-2020, 07:33 AM
thanks everyone.

some good news yesterday, the lump on her thyroid is still non cancerous.

she has an appointment with the surgeon set to get a timeline for removal of the others.

Scrape
08-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Glad to hear the good news.

Scott
08-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Thankful for the good news, praying for a full and speedy recovery for your mom.

ChristenHoer
08-29-2020, 12:26 PM
I am sorry to hear this. It is toughest periods of life and I would suggest you to be brave and hope for the best. Hopefully, your mother will get well soon and reports would also be all fine. My prayers are with you.