PDA

View Full Version : NBA ratings at all-time low

Ponyryd
10-04-2020, 10:40 AM
https://www.outkick.com/nba-finals-ratings-tank/?fbclid=IwAR2JdHxV38U5iPxLGPlsOPNBTxdZ6cwF-32XnODakRSgSwK6X2mhAq7Nyjk

The NBA is taking tanking to never-before-seen depths. If LeBron and the Lakers in the Finals can’t save this collapse — nothing will. This is the best-case scenario. Imagine these numbers when the Nuggets finally win the West and the media has to push that over the NFL.

Compared to 2018, the last Finals with LeBron, Game 1 is down 58%. That kind of slide is what gets TV shows canceled and showrunners chased out of the business.

Adam Silver complained a few years ago too many NBA games were on cable. Looking at the data, he may want to keep it that way so he has an excuse.

Since 2012, viewership for the NBA on ABC resembles a former yearly revenue chart at Blockbuster headquarters. From 2012 to 2020, broadcast NBA ratings are down 45%. In simple terms: horrific.

Due to self-destruction, the NBA is a mess. The politicization of professional basketball puts ESPN’s Mark Jones’ left-wing Twitter to shame.

The league is more hypocritical than the participants in Tuesday’s debate. Led by social justice warrior LeBron James, the NBA players who claim to put human rights ahead of their dollars are still earning millions from the Chinese Communist Party.

“No comment,” that’s how LeBron responded to the shooting of two police officers in Los Angeles.

On the other hand, LeBron is changing America — literally. His organization is texting random Florida citizens to pay for felons to vote (for Joe Biden) in the upcoming election.

Minaccia
10-04-2020, 11:32 AM
You know somebody here will disagree with those facts and then hint that you might be a racist because he thinks your feelings are involved and not your opinion.

I'm only speaking for myself when I say I did not watch any sports because of their views on what is going on theses days, who else did the same?

FoxRod
10-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Hmmm maybe because??...:slap: :rolleyes:

5.4MarkVIII
10-04-2020, 12:33 PM
In before BFed.

92redragtop
10-04-2020, 01:19 PM
I don't think anyone suggested racism - I was going through the stats in the Harris survey as well as an analysis of the media data and impact of scheduling including ratings data from 2019 (already down before Floyd, etc) but I know numbers complicate things for some. I'm not sure why it was moved as the last couple posts were discussing the survey and other relevant media numbers versus "opinion" articles like above.

Foxstang
10-04-2020, 02:21 PM
Lebron is worth $450 million and donated less than $50 million... Just over 10%... The top 20 earners in the NBA made a total of $500,000,000 in 2019.

I would imagine half a billion dollars would go a long way in impoverished communities around the USA? If NBA players took their annual salaries and donated to causes they believe in, then, they could teach us a lesson in life.

Ponyryd
10-04-2020, 03:59 PM
^Lebron is a pos “do as I say, not as I do” hypocrite, who believes nobody is entitled to his/her own opinion, your opinion MUST be the same as his, no matter what. And many people put him on a pedestal as if he has any idea about the real world, or what others have been through.

You know somebody here will disagree with those facts and then hint that you might be a racist because he thinks your feelings are involved and not your opinion.

I'm only speaking for myself when I say I did not watch any sports because of their views on what is going on theses days, who else did the same?

Same here, they will not see any more of my money, be in by watching, going to a game, or buying merchandise. I actually won’t even wear it anymore, they’ve gone off the deep end and I won’t be part of it.

I’m not sure what happened in my other thread, but for some reason TMC felt the need to cast it off to BFF, so I will never see it again. Sad that we cannot have a civilized discussion anymore, very sad.

Ponyryd
10-04-2020, 04:02 PM
Hmmm maybe because??...:slap: :rolleyes:

I don’t get it. Are you suggesting that the ratings have tanked to all-time lows because of three white players?

FoxRod
10-04-2020, 04:31 PM
Just being a troll to what Lou said.

Watching Sports is entertainment for me, I don't care for the Political crap. I can and will tune out if it over shadows the product on the court/field or rink. Although the facts do support why the ratings have plummeted, sometimes fans are tuned out because their Teams/Players are not in the Finals and not just because of the Politics?? JMO

I don’t get it. Are you suggesting that the ratings have tanked to all-time lows because of three white players?

92redragtop
10-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Lebron is worth $450 million and donated less than $50 million... Just over 10%... The top 20 earners in the NBA made a total of $500,000,000 in 2019.

I would imagine half a billion dollars would go a long way in impoverished communities around the USA? If NBA players took their annual salaries and donated to causes they believe in, then, they could teach us a lesson in life.

10% of income or net worth donated - that's pretty good in general (could be more but savings rate may not be that high and donations are less than savings). How does that compare on a % basis to how much of your income or net worth.

5.4MarkVIII
10-04-2020, 07:18 PM
I'm on par to "donate" 10% of our take home pay this year, very few of the ultra rich can say the same IMO

92redragtop
10-04-2020, 08:24 PM
I'm on par to "donate" 10% of our take home pay this year, very few of the ultra rich can say the same IMO

And % of net worth?

At 10% (I'm not sure why you're using quotations?), you're well above the Canadian average which is about $500 based on StatsCan which is taken from CRA. That's against average household income in the mid-50K range for Canadians. Not sure about US data. Not sure what the % of net worth is.

5.4MarkVIII
10-04-2020, 08:36 PM
Never once heard anyone discussing donation based on % of net worth.

I use quotations because one, we typically prefer to donate to local groups vs large charities. And we also do a lot of time and use assistance for local groups. Providing use of truck ect for food and bottle drives.
Product to groups / people in need and to charity auctions.

It’s not just about writing checks for bragging rights, to me it’s about making sure the money or help goes as directly as possable to the people who need it.

IMO if more people in positions of wealth used this mentality things would be better for a lot of people.

Instead they usually charge for the pleasure of listening to them speak. And then act like they are changing the world.

92redragtop
10-04-2020, 09:19 PM
Never once heard anyone discussing donation based on % of net worth.

I use quotations because one, we typically prefer to donate to local groups vs large charities. And we also do a lot of time and use assistance for local groups. Providing use of truck ect for food and bottle drives.
Product to groups / people in need and to charity auctions.

It’s not just about writing checks for bragging rights, to me it’s about making sure the money or help goes as directly as possable to the people who need it.

IMO if more people in positions of wealth used this mentality things would be better for a lot of people.

Instead they usually charge for the pleasure of listening to them speak. And then act like they are changing the world.

I only use term net worth because the earlier post referred to it but I'm not sure if that's what they meant or just a conflation of terms. As for $ amount of donation - that's just an objective value of the donation since assigning value to time or use of equipment is subjective (most NFPs have a formula for this so they can assign a value of "in-kind" donations).

Foxstang
10-05-2020, 07:50 AM
I don't donate 10% of my pay, I don't have to worry about net worth because I don't have any lol

I was in a position where 10% was like 15k which I couldn't afford due to income taxes and property taxes, I was already paying 50 grand in income taxes a year so I felt like I was giving away enough of my money for charity vis-a-viz the federal liberals. But at some point, when making, millions I'd imagine you don't really need to make anything more than 500k a year to have a more than decent lifestyle... so what do you do when you get paid 40 million in a year (which in Ontario puts you in a 54% tax bracket so just under 19 million net pay). What do you do with 19 million in your pocket each year? There's no way one can spend that much money?

Then again, someone making 35 grand a year probably looked at me and asked the same thing... But I don't have access to media and using it to tell everyone I'm better than everyone and demanding people to change everything around them for social justice. And look at me now... I don't have a big pay check anymore, I will never see that again with my small business. Technically I make less than min wage now... lol (well now I'm depressed)... Thanks rant...

trickflow-jay
10-05-2020, 08:57 AM
big mouths with big opinions and big salary...if i wanted advice from someone who plays with a ball i would ask my dog.

have you seen a baller march with BLM??? ahhhh the irony.

Minaccia
10-05-2020, 09:50 AM
Nothing is going to change because so many hypocrites are involved.

5.4MarkVIII
10-05-2020, 08:12 PM
Nothing is going to change because so many hypocrites are involved.

any so many people willing to justify the hypocrisy on their behalf.

IanGTCS
10-05-2020, 08:57 PM
It could also just be a cycle in interest in the sport. Look at the rise and fall of the popularity of NASCAR, decline in baseball viewership, massive rise of the NFL and the success of soccer after many false starts. I'm sure the political stuff from some players turns off some people but I doubt it is the whole reason for the decline.

92redragtop
10-05-2020, 11:08 PM
It could also just be a cycle in interest in the sport. Look at the rise and fall of the popularity of NASCAR, decline in baseball viewership, massive rise of the NFL and the success of soccer after many false starts. I'm sure the political stuff from some players turns off some people but I doubt it is the whole reason for the decline.

That's what the stats show but you know, groupthink.

Minaccia
10-05-2020, 11:39 PM
The stats also show that the players taking a political stand this year added to the decline in ratings which is the only point I'm trying to make but you keep missing it on purpose. Also, stop with the labels just because people don't agree with you, it shows weakness in character.

That's what the stats show but you know, groupthink.

92redragtop
10-06-2020, 12:19 AM
The stats also show that the players taking a political stand this year added to the decline in ratings which is the only point I'm trying to make but you keep missing it on purpose. Also, stop with the labels just because people don't agree with you, it shows weakness in character.

I believe the term is appropriate due to the absence of recognition in the basis of the stated hypothesis as there are multiple reasons for the YoY variance noted in the non-opinion pieces indicating a non-common comparison. Sure I agree that might be a part of the overall issue but there are other significant drivers present that historically affect viewer ratings statistically but if you want to ignore that and focus on one item that's fine....not sure I understand it and I should refrain from commenting when folks ignore composite data but, ok - have at it. I don't want to impact the thread further when it's on a roll but I get sucked in sometimes - my bad.

5.4MarkVIII
10-06-2020, 08:10 AM

Unfortunately it’s the only way some can debate. Ignore the valid points. And insinuate insults.

Minaccia
10-06-2020, 09:13 AM
Reminds me of my government working liberal brother-in-law, corner him and he starts going off and name calling. It's funny actually and sad at the same time.

Unfortunately it’s the only way some can debate. Ignore the valid points. And insinuate insults.

92redragtop
10-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Ironic since the "H" word was being thrown around in earlier posts, and my preference is to consider all points.

5.4MarkVIII
10-06-2020, 11:15 AM
What “H” word is that?

Ponyryd
10-06-2020, 07:45 PM
The H word must be from the use of the word hypocrite, which is funny, since 92red is a pretty big hypocrite, as evidenced by his post stating that he prefers to consider all points, even though it’s painfully obvious that he doesn’t, you either agree with his opinion or you’re wrong.....or “groupthinking”, lol.

Ponyryd
10-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Lmao.....looks like the “groupthink” is right, and the “stats” are just bs as usual.

NBA CAVES — League to cancel Social Justice BLM messages on courts and jerseys next year…

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/nba-caves-league-to-cancel-social-justice-messages-on-courts-and-jerseys-next-year/

Minaccia
10-06-2020, 11:23 PM
LMFAO...

GroupThink FTW...

Lmao.....looks like the “groupthink” is right, and the “stats” are just bs as usual.

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/nba-caves-league-to-cancel-social-justice-messages-on-courts-and-jerseys-next-year/

92redragtop
10-06-2020, 11:48 PM
What was that about character...lol. You guys are funny as you hit the right wing psych trifecta bingo of groupthink, confirmation bias, and attribution error. Was curious if all three would be evident.

Even your favourite fake news outlet (well, other than Alex Jones et al) can't conclude that this is the driver of the ratings variance - looks like next year they're looking to put the pandemic behind them and get back to regular business in their usual timeslots, seasonality, non-bubble in Disneyland, etc (and yes, uniforms, etc, are part of that). I guess you all now think Honda pulled out of F1 because Hamilton wore a Breonna t-shirt...lol.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-cuban-sen-ted-cruz-twitter-spat-nba-ratings

This thread is at risk of moving so I'll Stand Back and Stand By so you can play amongst yourselves ;-)

Minaccia
10-07-2020, 12:05 AM
If you bother to take the time to read the comments from the readers of both articles posted, yours and Ponyryd's you'll see that fans are upset about the players and their political BS comments. Lot's of comments from lots of sports fan posting why they no longer watch the game, go ahead read them and tells us what you make of it.

What was that about character...lol. You guys are funny as you hit the right wing psych trifecta bingo of groupthink, confirmation bias, and attribution error. Was curious if all three would be evident.

Even your favourite fake news outlet (well, other than Alex Jones et al) can't conclude that this is the driver of the ratings variance - looks like next year they're looking to put the pandemic behind them and get back to regular business in their usual timeslots, seasonality, non-bubble in Disneyland, etc (and yes, uniforms, etc, are part of that). I guess you all now think Honda pulled out of F1 because Hamilton wore a Breonna t-shirt...lol.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-cuban-sen-ted-cruz-twitter-spat-nba-ratings

This thread is at risk of moving so I'll Stand Back and Stand By so you can play amongst yourselves ;-)

92redragtop
10-07-2020, 12:10 AM
I read them and it's the usual pattern you see - it's a fraction of so-called "fans" who are right-wingers. Clearly, Mark Cuban who is an owner has a broader perspective of the range of reasons to be addressed and he's got money on this versus right-wing trolls. Too bad Honda pulled out of F1 because of the T-shirts and kneeling.

EDIT: Oops, my bad - I did say I'd stand back or stand by or something like that...not sure who said that but I slipped up with this post.

5.4MarkVIII
10-07-2020, 07:21 AM
"What was that about character...lol. You guys are funny as you hit the right wing psych trifecta bingo of groupthink, confirmation bias, and attribution error. Was curious if all three would be evident.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-...at-nba-ratings

This thread is at risk of moving so I'll Stand Back and Stand By so you can play amongst yourselves ;-)"

yep that response seems par for the course.

Ponyryd
10-07-2020, 06:40 PM
I read them and it's the usual pattern you see - it's a fraction of so-called "fans" who are right-wingers. Clearly, Mark Cuban who is an owner has a broader perspective of the range of reasons to be addressed and he's got money on this versus right-wing trolls. Too bad Honda pulled out of F1 because of the T-shirts and kneeling.

EDIT: Oops, my bad - I did say I'd stand back or stand by or something like that...not sure who said that but I slipped up with this post.

Damn, one would think that your “right wing” card would be worn out from all the use it’s seen.....
No big deal, we all know you have nothing else to play, carry on.
Oh, and I give 0 fucks if this thread gets moved, TMC won’t allow a heated discussion to happen, so when it does move, go ahead and push your usual bs, I won’t be there to argue with you.

5.4MarkVIII
10-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Damn, one would think that your “right wing” card would be worn out from all the use it’s seen.....
No big deal, we all know you have nothing else to play, carry on.
Oh, and I give 0 fucks if this thread gets moved, TMC won’t allow a heated discussion to happen, so when it does move, go ahead and push your usual bs, I won’t be there to argue with you.

discussions usualy end once they are moved. its almost like some count it as a win.

Ponyryd
10-07-2020, 08:40 PM
discussions usualy end once they are moved. its almost like some count it as a win.

TMC should count it as a loss, eliminate the bff, and allow the forum to flourish.