PDA

View Full Version : Another "What's it worth" thread

Quicksilver
10-05-2020, 08:57 AM
I am totally ignorant as to what foxbody's are worth these days. I'm now seeing Foxes in the 10-20,000 range. Some are well done, some kinda ratty.

We have a 1989 Coupe. We are the 2nd owners(bought it in 2004 with 80,000 km). Since then, Rick (ZR on the board) did all the mechanical work to modify it.
We did:
-4 wheel disc brakes out of an SN95
-5 lug conversion
-SN95 front spindles
-gas filled shocks
-lowering springs
-after market upper and lower control arms
-exhaust
-front and rear sway bars
-repaired strut towers (this was major, but Rick has a special method to do it)
-5 speed manual (the car was born a 4 cylinder auto)
-302 v-8 (it did 220 rwhp on DaSilva's dyno)
-17x8 chrome wheels off an 03 GT
-full length subframe connectors
-new k-member
-strut tower brace
-tilt steering wheel
-power seats out of an 02 GT
-air conditioning(not hooked up)
-3.73 8.8 limited slip axle
-complete front cradle including steering rack out of an 88 V-8 hatch
We did paint and body at the time, but it seemingly wasn't a great job. It needs paint again. And, it's been sitting for 5 years. It was started and run 2 years ago for half an hour.
At the time, it was a great car to drive.
it was actually more fun than my 04 Cobra, as it has massive torque down low.
It's really my son Noah's car, although technically I own it, and he would apparently prefer to see it slowly rot away than get it rolling again.

i'd rather sell it and use the money elsewhere.

trickflow-jay
10-05-2020, 09:03 AM
:ford:

trickflow-jay
10-05-2020, 09:06 AM
cant say w/o pics market for these are absurd right now(i turned down well over 30k for mine) i would say atleast 8-12k with that mileage.

Quicksilver
10-05-2020, 09:46 AM
cant say w/o pics market for these are absurd right now(i turned down well over 30k for mine) i would say atleast 8-12k with that mileage.

The body would have around 120k on it. The engine came out of Mint 2000's 91 Fox so i don't know exact milage on the motor

Laffs
10-05-2020, 10:39 AM
6-8k likely the number for a car needing bodywork and some mechanical sorting that is a non original 5.0 car. Perhaps more if the car presents itself very well. Time of year is working against a sale as well.

Zippy
10-05-2020, 02:14 PM
I think it's worth 4-6k depending on what you're saying.
Hard to sell cars in the fall season.
Probably get more for it in the spring.

RedSN
10-05-2020, 10:22 PM
-repaired strut towers (this was major, but Rick has a special method to do it)
-new k-member

I’m not knocking the “special method”, far from it, I did it on my own coupe that had the same cancer, and it’s a solid reinforcement for an otherwise pooched fox.
But you didn’t put a new k-member in the car after the strut tower repair, I can guarantee that.

I agree with Zippy. 4-6k

hammerhead
10-06-2020, 07:45 AM
Sounds like the car is not running...that will really devalue it (how I interpret the description) I would think below 4 if that's the case. be nice to see pics

Quicksilver
10-06-2020, 08:19 AM
To be honest, I was thinking 4-6 K. However, I've seen plenty of Foxes lately with less mechanical work (a lot still with 4-lug rear drum brakes) but better bodies going for $15-20,000.00 Which absolutely blows my mind.
Just kinda trying to decide whether to put more money into it with fresh paint and some TLC under the hood, or just kick it out and put the money towards something newer.

CON VERT
10-06-2020, 08:47 AM
I would say let it go, you have poured enough of dough into it ? with less than adequate results, IMHO

fast Ed
10-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Easy to swap out and upgrade mechanical parts on a clean shell, that's what guys are paying the big dollars for. Major rust repair is always an iffy proposition, and for most people who know what they are looking for, it heavily devalues the car.

cheers
Ed

Quicksilver
10-06-2020, 09:08 AM
Actually the body was in pretty good, rust free shape when we bought it in 2004, and Rick fixed the strut towers. I had it painted, but the clear coat is wearing off, and there are a few dings and dents.
It has not been driven in winter since 2005