PDA

View Full Version : The new crate motor by EV West and Revolt fits just like a small-block Chevy

Old Fart
10-06-2020, 11:53 AM
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-new-crate-motor-by-ev-west-and-revolt-fits-just-like-a-small-block-chevy/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20_October_6_Newsletter_NewDD

https://i.postimg.cc/bwj8JZ1V/Electric-crate-motor-scaled.jpg

StAnger
10-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Ugh no.

hammerhead
10-06-2020, 01:02 PM
Ugh no.

LOL I like it....!

Uncle Buck
10-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Umm..where do the long tubes go?

fast Ed
10-06-2020, 01:53 PM
Those are the orange things in the photo ... :-)

redo75
10-06-2020, 02:20 PM
How many AA batteries needed?

5.4MarkVIII
10-06-2020, 04:57 PM
"EV West has told The Drive that estimated pricing is in the $25,000–$35,000 range for the crate motor package itself, meaning that your budget will have to stretch to include the associated motor controllers, batteries, and hardware."

that price tag is pure lunacy

redo75
10-06-2020, 10:01 PM
Some people just need to save the earth. Every little bit helps in there little minds.
Know a few people like that - I also know not to argue with them about "anything". There opinion is it. Period!

Do you remember the very first electric cars for sale. How many are still on the road today.
Any high school kids buying one to restore in there garage??
Maybe now that there is an electric crate motor, Summit Racing will bring down the sale price and in CDN dollars w/free shipping.

RedSN
10-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Do you remember the very first electric cars for sale. How many are still on the road today.
Not many. Granted, not many 130 year old cars out there.

redo75
10-07-2020, 07:37 AM
I disagree. Lot of old stuff still around, restored and on display in museums and collections. Not just in Canada and US as in Jay's garage along with the crowd that buys collector cars at BJ Auctions and just plain old folks that cruise on weekends or in rainless days.

fast Ed
10-07-2020, 08:28 AM
I'm speculating that stuff like this will be akin to other technology and electronics. As it gets more popular, and more efficient and better ways are made to produce them, the prices will slowly start to come down to a more reasonable level. I think there's a place in the hot rodding world for both combustion engine and EV stuff, both can be exciting in their own ways.

Jonny Smith (aka "CarPervert"), one of the presenters from British show Fifth Gear has his own YouTube channel called the Late Brake Show. He does stuff on both, in car / truck / bike form, and there are some great videos to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CARPERVERT

StAnger
10-07-2020, 08:41 AM
I'm speculating that stuff like this will be akin to other technology and electronics. As it gets more popular, and more efficient and better ways are made to produce them, the prices will slowly start to come down to a more reasonable level. I think there's a place in the hot rodding world for both combustion engine and EV stuff, both can be exciting in their own ways.

Jonny Smith (aka "CarPervert"), one of the presenters from British show Fifth Gear has his own YouTube channel called the Late Brake Show. He does stuff on both, in car / truck / bike form, and there are some great videos to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CARPERVERT

I think anyone who desecrates a classic car by converting it to EV ought to be taken behind the woodshed.

fast Ed
10-07-2020, 08:47 AM
Thinking forward 10-20+ years from now, when ICE vehicles inevitably start to get banned in some areas ... I can see merit in converting a classic to EV so that it can continue to be enjoyed on the road instead of becoming only a static display.

StAnger
10-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Glad I'll be dead and gone by then.

Quicksilver
10-07-2020, 11:40 AM
It won't be very long before someone puts that crate motor into a car or truck, maybe in sequence with a gas engine, producing between them a couple thousand horsepower and 9 second street cars.
It's just calling out for some creative hot rodding!

hammerhead
10-07-2020, 12:12 PM
It won't be very long before someone puts that crate motor into a car or truck, maybe in sequence with a gas engine, producing between them a couple thousand horsepower and 9 second street cars.
It's just calling out for some creative hot rodding!

we are kinda there already with electric superchargers and turbos providing boost and a belt driven or exhaust driven system would - apparently no lag at low speeds - your jag may have one

Quicksilver
10-07-2020, 02:37 PM
we are kinda there already with electric superchargers and turbos providing boost and a belt driven or exhaust driven system would - apparently no lag at low speeds - your jag may have one

My car has a belt driven supercharger. No discernible lag. Same as my 04 Cobra

hammerhead
10-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Weather you like it or not, Green cars are coming - hybrids with hydrogen and electric I think will become the norm - watch out for this car in 2024 - some may not like it but I think it's exciting and one of the reasons I'm a big fan of prototype racing and change... I wouldn't be surprised that by 2030 1/2 the cars on the road will be a hybrid developed from racing and be green...other changes that may come to the internal combustion engine to make them cleaner will also make them less attractive in the future - there's talk of particulate filters for the gas engine and after seeing how they react on diesel engines most people wont want one - the future is exciting, embrace it, it keeps me young....

Foxstang
10-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Some people just need to save the earth. Every little bit helps in there little minds.
Know a few people like that - I also know not to argue with them about "anything". There opinion is it. Period!

Any high school kids buying one to restore in there garage??
Maybe now that there is an electric crate motor, Summit Racing will bring down the sale price and in CDN dollars w/free shipping.

It’s not all about saving the planet, an electric drivetrain is much more powerful than gasoline and requires less BS to run at peak efficiency. It’s not an opinion that electric > gas, it’s fact. Energy storage is where electric has drawbacks but not for long as technology is advancing rapidly.

Electric cars started well before gasoline and is much more reliable than internal combustion.

High school kids aren’t into cars much these days. There are other cheaper and better hobbies. I don’t want my kid to “be into cars” instead I’m focusing on music and science. Cars suck as a hobby, it’s expensive and practically illegal these days (what’s the point of anything with more than 100hp these days when you can almost face jail time with a little over the speed limit?)

As things progress, electric stuff will get cheaper and gasoline based technology will only go up in price with all the liberal policies being implemented and, in Canada, looks like Trudeau will be in power for many years to come unfortunately.