PDA

View Full Version : Liftmaster 8500 garage door opener issues

Gabe
11-12-2020, 04:53 PM
More of an FYI for those that have a LM 8500, I assume there are a few guys that have them with their hoists.

I installed a Liftmaster 8500 shaft mount garage door opener at my place about 9 years ago when I installed my hoist, always worked well, never an issue. Earlier this year the garage door started opening and closing on it's own, randomly. Wasn't a priority during the summer for me, so just unplugged it and use the garage door manually. Anyways, over the weekend went to diagnose the problem, tried resetting the system, re-learning the settings etc, but couldn't get anything to correct the problem.
Called Chamberlain and as soon as I described the issue they asked for my mailing address and shipped me out a new control panel, didn't ask for a receipt, date of purchase, serial number etc.

If you start running into this problem, just wanted to give a heads up that a new control panel is available from Chamberlain FOC

Mellow Yellow
11-12-2020, 05:48 PM
More of an FYI for those that have a LM 8500, I assume there are a few guys that have them with their hoists.

I installed a Liftmaster 8500 shaft mount garage door opener at my place about 9 years ago when I installed my hoist, always worked well, never an issue. Earlier this year the garage door started opening and closing on it's own, randomly. Wasn't a priority during the summer for me, so just unplugged it and use the garage door manually. Anyways, over the weekend went to diagnose the problem, tried resetting the system, re-learning the settings etc, but couldn't get anything to correct the problem.
Called Chamberlain and as soon as I described the issue they asked for my mailing address and shipped me out a new control panel, didn't ask for a receipt, date of purchase, serial number etc.

If you start running into this problem, just wanted to give a heads up that a new control panel is available from Chamberlain FOC
Somewhere along the way there was a recall on the wall unit. Had randomly opening door also, dealer replaced both of mine for free.

Gabe
11-12-2020, 06:02 PM
I assumed based on how fast he was offering a replacement without any further information that it was a recall type of situation.

xeninworx
11-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Or the garage door opener is possessed. You should call Ghostbusters or an exorcist. Whichever is cheaper.

True Blue
11-13-2020, 08:05 AM
Same thing happened to me about 4 years ago, I have an on going thread on this issue over at the Garage Journal. I'm surprised you got 9 years out of that wall controller, most fail within 3-5 years.

Those with the LM 8500, even if your garage door opener is functioning correctly. Contact Liftmaster and tell them that your garage door is randomly opening and closing, this way you'll have a spare wall controller if/when the current one fails. Saving you on down time.

gogogreatnick
07-17-2023, 01:13 PM
Although my response might be coming a bit late, I wanted to share some insights that could be helpful for others who might encounter the same issue. I also had some trouble with my Liftmaster 8500 garage door opener, and I came across a website that offers helpful tips and solutions for garage door repairs. They have a page specifically dedicated to garage door repair in Mississauga, which might have some valuable information for you. You can check it out at https://fixgaragedoors.ca/service-areas/garage-door-repair-in-mississauga/ (https://fixgaragedoors.ca/service-areas/garage-door-repair-in-mississauga). It's always great to have resources like these when dealing with unexpected garage door issues. Hang in there, and I hope you find the solution you're looking for!