PDA

View Full Version : Adamson BBQ

Biz
11-27-2020, 01:47 PM
So what are your thoughts here?
Is the Guv over-stepping?
If anything its some serious advertising for him.
But is it worth it?

Authorities on scene formally ordered Adamson at the QEW and Royal York to close late Tuesday afternoon after Skelly had served up ribs and brisket for five whole hours. On Wednesday, they laid nine charges against the proprietor under Ontario's Health Protection and Promotion Act after he opened his doors again — and sold out of product within an hour.

He was taken away in handcuffs on Thursday after what was the most hectic day at Adamson thus far, with police changing the locks on the establishment early that morning in an attempt to prevent it from welcoming crowds once more.

In light of the drama, a fundraiser was launched to finance Skelly's legal battle and, in the words of organizer Barry McNamar, "help Adam fight for our freedoms... amidst the slough of politicians, media and citizen fear mongers supporting irrational COVID 'public health orders' that shut down small businesses while allowing corporate box stores to remain open."

In less than 24 hours, the campaign had raised more than $28,000. In less than 48 hours, it's now hit more than $131,000 from over 2,600 donators, and growing rapidly.

The hashtag #IStandWithAdam and others also arose and began trending on Twitter as a result, with prominent Canadian anti-masker Chris Sky among Skelly's avid supporters.

Skelly initially had the sympathy of Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who said he "couldn't get angry" at the 33-year-old given how badly small business owners are struggling right now.

But after the barbecue baron flouted provincial restrictions for multiple days in a row, Ford changed his tune to be more in line with Toronto Major John Tory, condemning the restaurateur's actions irresponsible, ridiculous, and unacceptable in his daily presser on Wednesday.

The saga has been extremely divisive, to say the least, during a time when tensions are already running extremely high as citizens and businesses face at least 24 more days of severe lockdown that forbids the regular operation of countless businesses and orders residents to only leave their homes for essential reasons.

redo75
11-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Damm, another BBQ place I never went to.
Huge waste of police resources, with all the other major crimes going on.
Didn't see any good close-up video of police, but I thought I saw some had sauce on there faces and sticky fingers when they were arresting the guy.
Large police presence??

Minaccia
11-27-2020, 03:37 PM
This is nothing but a scam to get a Gofundme page going by one of his buddies/family because he was losing too much money. But in the mean time he's putting his employees and customers at risk, restaurants are one of the places this virus exist because you need to take your mask off to eat and then your server touches all your utensils.

He's an idiot for only thinking about himself and nobody else, he can play the "I need to survive" card all he wants but he broke the law and is putting people in danger of catching this virus. How many other restaurants within a kilometer of him also opened their dining area, I bet zero.

He could of still been opened today for take-out and making money for his family if he didn't pull this selfish stunt but instead now he's closed for business and has fines and lawyer fees to pay for, great business move.

5.4MarkVIII
11-27-2020, 04:19 PM
This written by a restaurant owner and shared on Facebook. about sums up my thoughts

“As I walk into the grocery store with 30 other people at the same time, I think about my restaurant which allows parties of 6 total, and meticulously spaces out reservations by 10 minutes ensuring guests that aren’t from the same party do not arrive at the same time.

As I take a cart, that has had just the handle sanitized, I think about my restaurant which invested thousands of dollars (so far) on ink and paper to print disposable menus to ensure no two guests touch the same menu.

As I walk over to the produce aisle with 15-20 other people around me, I’m reminded of the strict “no mingling / no walking around the restaurant other than to use the washroom or enter/exit” policy we have in place and the 6ft distance between tables which has cut our capacity in half.

As I watch the woman next to me pick up apples with her hand, check them over closely and then put them back on the open pile and repeats this until she finds the perfect apples — the same thing that all other people that day who want an apple will then do and then put those apples into their mouths, I think about the two step sanitation process in place at my restaurant for all cutlery and dishes and glassware in between every single guest, and the sanitation of every surface guests touch (tables, chairs, salt and pepper shakers, etc).

As I watch the man in the next aisle over ignore or not notice the directional arrows on the ground, I think about my restaurant and the constant redirecting our staff does of guests - by locking certain doors, blocking areas off and the work my team does to simply not allow guests to walk where they are not supposed to.

As I walk down the cereal aisle, I see a person with their mask off so they can talk on the phone, and I’m reminded of my restaurant where our masking policy has lost us so much business as we will not allow guests who do not cover their nose mouth and chin while not sitting at their designated seat as per the by-law in place for our region.

As I check out at the cashier, I use my debit card to pay and see the plastic film covering the terminal. It was not sanitized after the person before me used it. I am reminded of the sanitizer used on the debit terminals in between each guest every time at my restaurant.

As I stand at a crowded exit trying to leave, I’m reminded of the detailed contact tracing in place at my restaurant that records the name, phone number, table number, arrival and exit time, as well as the server and section the guest sat in that is in place at my restaurant— not one of those pieces of information was taken from any customer here.

As I get into my car and watch all these people leave the store, I wonder which person will visit my establishment after contracting covid at this grocery store, and I wonder why on earth my restaurant will be blamed as the source.

Restaurants are being targeted as the “source” of Covid infections because we are one of the ONLY industries required to provide contact tracing. Someone with Covid could have gone to Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, the Mall food court, Any grocery store etc yet it’s the restaurant that took their detailed information that will be forced to close and deemed responsible for the infection.

You want to blame restaurants for the spread after thousands of dollars investing in equipment, training and stricter policies than ANYWHERE ELSE?! “

Time to stop ignoring the science and get back to as normal a life

Protect the Vulnerable.

Stop the fear mongering

5.4MarkVIII
11-27-2020, 04:23 PM
This is nothing but a scam to get a Gofundme page going by one of his buddies/family because he was losing too much money. But in the mean time he's putting his employees and customers at risk, restaurants are one of the places this virus exist because you need to take your mask off to eat and then your server touches all your utensils.

He's an idiot for only thinking about himself and nobody else, he can play the "I need to survive" card all he wants but he broke the law and is putting people in danger of catching this virus. How many other restaurants within a kilometer of him also opened their dining area, I bet zero.

He could of still been opened today for take-out and making money for his family if he didn't pull this selfish stunt but instead now he's closed for business and has fines and lawyer fees to pay for, great business move.

Let’s revisit when the government mandates policy that shuts the doors on your business.

Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in.

bluetoy
11-27-2020, 05:02 PM
This written by a restaurant owner and shared on Facebook. about sums up my thoughts

“As I walk into the grocery store with 30 other people at the same time, I think about my restaurant which allows parties of 6 total, and meticulously spaces out reservations by 10 minutes ensuring guests that aren’t from the same party do not arrive at the same time.

As I take a cart, that has had just the handle sanitized, I think about my restaurant which invested thousands of dollars (so far) on ink and paper to print disposable menus to ensure no two guests touch the same menu.

As I walk over to the produce aisle with 15-20 other people around me, I’m reminded of the strict “no mingling / no walking around the restaurant other than to use the washroom or enter/exit” policy we have in place and the 6ft distance between tables which has cut our capacity in half.

As I watch the woman next to me pick up apples with her hand, check them over closely and then put them back on the open pile and repeats this until she finds the perfect apples — the same thing that all other people that day who want an apple will then do and then put those apples into their mouths, I think about the two step sanitation process in place at my restaurant for all cutlery and dishes and glassware in between every single guest, and the sanitation of every surface guests touch (tables, chairs, salt and pepper shakers, etc).

As I watch the man in the next aisle over ignore or not notice the directional arrows on the ground, I think about my restaurant and the constant redirecting our staff does of guests - by locking certain doors, blocking areas off and the work my team does to simply not allow guests to walk where they are not supposed to.

As I walk down the cereal aisle, I see a person with their mask off so they can talk on the phone, and I’m reminded of my restaurant where our masking policy has lost us so much business as we will not allow guests who do not cover their nose mouth and chin while not sitting at their designated seat as per the by-law in place for our region.

As I check out at the cashier, I use my debit card to pay and see the plastic film covering the terminal. It was not sanitized after the person before me used it. I am reminded of the sanitizer used on the debit terminals in between each guest every time at my restaurant.

As I stand at a crowded exit trying to leave, I’m reminded of the detailed contact tracing in place at my restaurant that records the name, phone number, table number, arrival and exit time, as well as the server and section the guest sat in that is in place at my restaurant— not one of those pieces of information was taken from any customer here.

As I get into my car and watch all these people leave the store, I wonder which person will visit my establishment after contracting covid at this grocery store, and I wonder why on earth my restaurant will be blamed as the source.

Restaurants are being targeted as the “source” of Covid infections because we are one of the ONLY industries required to provide contact tracing. Someone with Covid could have gone to Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, the Mall food court, Any grocery store etc yet it’s the restaurant that took their detailed information that will be forced to close and deemed responsible for the infection.

You want to blame restaurants for the spread after thousands of dollars investing in equipment, training and stricter policies than ANYWHERE ELSE?! “

Time to stop ignoring the science and get back to as normal a life

Protect the Vulnerable.

Stop the fear mongering

Well said and all true. Having eaten in restaurants in the past months and as recent as 3 weeks ago I can assure you that you are a lot less likely to get sick there than just about anywhere else.

Minaccia
11-27-2020, 05:05 PM
If that happened to my business I would follow the rules. He could have still sold his BBQ'ed ribs via take-out but once he opened the dining area he basically told the government, front line workers and those who have died from this virus "screw you".

We are all fighting a virus that kills not a new tax the government has implemented on us so maybe we should follow the rules a bit better, look what happened in the U.S. when they didn't care about Covid and mask wearing. I don't like being told what to do by my government either but this is a deadly virus that is all over the world and not just in Canada or the U.S.

Let’s revisit when the government mandates policy that shuts the doors on your business.

Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in.

Quicksilver
11-27-2020, 05:33 PM
I think the government(s) have put small business in an almost impossible situation. Where this guy Adam Skelly is (or was) doing it for publicity or conspiracy reasons or anything else, I cannot but forgive him.
I am very very fortunate in that my business is not in danger of shutting down, and that I don't have to worry about it till at least March. I'm seasonal, and my deck building season is almost over. Now my snow plowing season starts and there isn't anybody who can argue that it's not essential.
However.
I know of people who are not so fortunate. Their businesses were shut right down in March. Closed up. Period. Later on they were allowed to open, but with all sorts of restrictions, such as detailed above. So many people who might not have been living paycheck to paycheck, but who have limited resources. After 3 months without income, they might have depleted their savings. Then there were all the employees. Paychecks cut off. Benefits cut off. Little or no warning. Yes, CERB helped, a bit. But when rent on a decent apartment is closed to $2000/month, $500 a week doesn't cover all your other expenses.
I know in my case, we do not just have rent to pay. Car and truck payments. Business insurance. House insurance. Utilities. Life insurance. Vehicle insurance. medical expenses. FOOD.
I know what it costs me to live on a monthly basis and I can't imagine what I'd do if I had no money coming in. How do you decide where to spend whatever you might have. Food or rent? Cars or walking.
For the government to shut these people down, AGAIN, is unconscionable. I cannot agree that the cure is worth it. By the time this pandemic runs its course, there will be thousands of jobs that will never come back. Whole industries that may fade away. Our society will have paid a huge price in terms of suicides, homelessness, depression, and mental illness.

in the 70's (Yes, I'm old enough to remember) a man by the name of Paul Magder, a furrier, fought a decade long war in Toronto for the right to stay open on Sunday. He was fined, and imprisoned, and ridiculed by the press, and everyone was shocked and disgusted by the notion that a business should be open on Sunday. God Forbid!
Now, however, 3 decades later, it's completely taken for granted. Paul Magder was a martyr of sorts, but he eventually won, for everyone's benefit.
For whatever reasons, Mr Skelly is doing what he thinks is the right thing, and I really believe that this current shut down is ill timed (just before Christmas), and ill advised.

5.4MarkVIII
11-27-2020, 05:50 PM
Lockdowns didn’t work anywhere they were implemented.

According to the worldometer
99.4% of current active cases are mild.

No excuse for shutting down peoples lively hood.

Protect the vulnerable.

Stop the fear mongering.

hsousa88
11-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Completely agree with the FB post.. this is getting a little out of hand. It’s funny to me that a mask fixes everything. Was at Walmart the other day.. a complete shit show at the checkout.

I’m not saying the virus isn’t real... it’s just extremely exaggerated in all forms, IMO anyways.

Construction sites in the GTA never shutdown. Possibly the dirtiest washrooms/trailers in the city. Way too much tax money lost if construction shuts down.

92redragtop
11-27-2020, 06:27 PM
I think he's stupid and careless (health-wise) for continuing with the "protest/resistance" and should be held accountable for his actions. I get the first day protest/resistance - he would have gotten some leeway but pushing it past that another 2 days afterwards and then breaking through a wall, etc he's asked for what he got. I spoke with one of my employees yesterday who has purchased takeout at the Leaside and Etobicoke locations and said they were not enforcing mask usage inside, etc., and said he would never eat in the restaurant right now (only take-out) because of their practices. From the protesters at the Etobicoke location, they seem to have attracted all the sympathetic anti-masker/anti-distancing conspiracists to the cause.

He could have just opened for take-out after the Day 1 protest/resistance since his business model (casual food/BBQ) is well suited for that versus a Moxie's or Keg which is more suitable for dine-in business.

That said, I think this Conservative government could have been more surgical with the restrictions and allowed businesses to open where they have invested in and taken the precautions in accordance with the health guidelines versus closing all down, and picking winners and losers without additional qualifications - some business owners follow the guidelines and some don't.

I think this guy appears to fall into the latter. I purchased take-out or done beer pick-ups at Toronto locations with patios and every time they had picnic sized tables packed with 6 unmasked people who clearly did not live at the same household - so there are a lot of people who are not following guidelines to curb transmission and the businesses that allow this.

If anything, that FB post is the reason governments take harsh one-size fit all measures because they have to make it fit the lowest common denominators like the person in the cereal aisle talking on the phone (probably also same person protesting without mask and hugging other protesters outside Adamsons BBQ).

The GoFundMe page has racked up decent dollars - too bad he didn't protest in a way that the money donated could have actually been used to help people in need versus someone knowingly racking up 6-figure fines/legal fees.

5.4MarkVIII
11-27-2020, 06:51 PM
All I will say is anyone saying he got what he deserved better also be calling for the the organizers of the BLM protests back when everything was shut down, to also be fined.

The biggest problem for me isn’t that he got shut down and fined. But more the un even way they are enforcing things.

Taking someone’s lively hood has to be justified. IMO this no longer meets those requirements

Zippy
11-27-2020, 06:52 PM

Couldn't agree more.

ZR
11-27-2020, 07:04 PM
^ Agreed.

bluetoy
11-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Saw this on Facebook and it's 100% true.

I honestly haven’t had that much of an opinion since this whole Covid thing started, *nobody is allowed to have an opinion now a days anyways* but I honestly can’t comprehend how we are living right now. After today and yesterday. Here’s a rant.
I go to the mall yesterday. Rideau to be exact. Obviously the parking lot is pretty full. That didn’t scare me. Neither did the hundreds of people walking down the hallways, or the tens of twenty’s of people standing shoulder to shoulder in lines for each store *yeah sorry can you not see that your rubbing up against my purse? Can you move back? Thanks.* . What bothered me was walking into the food court. You’d think that their eating areas * like the restaurant I work in* would have basic restrictions. Nope. None. About a hundred or more people walking around, sitting, eating, talking, all without a mask on. Where are their fines? Where are the restrictions? Why is this okay? Why is nobody doing anything?
Today, I go to work. I wasn’t allowed to serve a 5 person family that all live in THE SAME HOUSE at the same table because of these *restrictions*. They shit and sleep in the same house but they aren’t allowed to sit and eat dinner together in a restaurant because noooo, can’t have more then 4 people at a table.
Why the fuck are these large establishments not being penalized when others are. Why are golf courses and venues closed but HIGH TRAFFIC SHOPPING AREAS aren’t. It’s just not fair. I can go to the mall and talk to 2000 UNSUPERVISED strangers but I can’t have a private gathering of more than Ten people in a SUPERVISED establishment. That makes SO MUCH FUCKING SENSE.
I can go to Walmart, IKEA, or Costco, and be shoulder to shoulder in line with hundreds of people, but I can’t invite my closest friends and family to be a part of my wedding.
Maybe I should just get married Infront of the fuckkng apple store in rideau. They probably wouldn’t even notice my 100 guests .
Or maybe I can get married in ikea. Let’s set up the entire living room section and I’m sure we will be fine right! Nobody will notice!
Something is seriously wrong with our system and I am getting SO FUCKING SICK OF IT.
Fuck.
This.
Shit.

StAnger
11-27-2020, 08:22 PM

This whole Covid thing has shown people's true colors. People I used to respect have shown that they're spineless, and afraid to speak their minds. Or they've readily given up their rights and have gone along with the herd mentality without any sort of critical thought.

5.4MarkVIII
11-27-2020, 08:57 PM

Last week when Ford announced that Toronto was going back into lock down. I saw 3 separate media articles all mainstream outlets

Say flat out the big box could stay open and small business had to close.

I immediately called Fords office. They told me it was not true everyone was under the same guidelines.

That is not how they are being enforced.

They are not hiding what they are doing. They are openly saying what’s going on.
But there are always those willing to justify the oppression of people who aren’t them.

Tunes will change if it keeps going this way. Unfortunately some people won’t speak up until it’s too late

Minaccia
11-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Lately I've been hearing a lot of people use the word "sheep", what I want to know is are these people the ones going out shopping and not wearing a mask. Are these same people the ones starting fights with the people wearing masks. If you're calling people sheep but you're also wearing a mask in public or at work then what does it make you.

I can only speak for myself when I say I wear a mask because I don't want to spread this virus if I have it and I don't want to catch it from you if you have it and not because I am a sheep. Are we all sheep's because we follow the posted speed limit on the roads?

All I see are scared people, imo.

RedSN
11-27-2020, 09:12 PM
Construction sites in the GTA never shutdown.
You mean in the recent lockdown? Or “ever”?
Back in March all my sites shut down. Work dried up, and I got laid off.

92redragtop
11-27-2020, 11:04 PM
Not sure if those Facebook posts are true (they actually read like a pro writer writing like a non-pro to stir up anti-maskers/conspiracists) but this is (my guy at the office wanted to go to GLB yesterday for curbside but didn't because of this street closure):

https://globalnews.ca/news/7488899/coronavirus-adamson-barbecue-great-lakes-brewery/

‘This is not helping’: Toronto brewery owner frustrated with BBQ restaurant protests

The owner of a Toronto brewery steps away from a barbecue restaurant playing host to anti-lockdown protests over the past few days is voicing his frustration, saying it has negatively impacted his small business.

“It just seems like a complete, diabolical, not-fun event here. You know, a business owner that was permitted to open created all of this… I don’t want to say excitement because it’s not exciting,” Peter Bulut, president and owner of Great Lakes Brewery on a small street near Royal York Road and the Gardiner Expressway, told Global News Friday afternoon.

“It’s disrupted my business and it looks like it’s cost the taxpayers a fortune just with the amount of service and support that’s needed to keep everybody safe.

“We were a little bit nervous too, and I told the staff if you feel unsafe we’ll lock the door up. We don’t need that type of excitement.”

Bulut, who said his business and industry have been hit particularly hard by the coronavirus pandemic, was straight-forward when asked if the protests have helped.

“Not at all. I think it’s completely the opposite. Like I said, it’s a publicity stunt and to get the activists all riled up and anti-maskers and all the things that are — this is not helping small business whatsoever,” he said.

“With the bars and restaurants closed in the city for the sit-down enjoyment, that segment of our business has collapsed completely. So we really rely on the curbside pickup and home delivery and then you can pass through the story in a very safe way.

“That’s what we rely on to keep all 60 people employed here, and with this disruption it’s hard.”

Toronto police closed part of Queen Elizabeth Boulevard due to an influx of vehicles and protesters over the course of the week.

He said customers are still permitted to come to the business if they tell officers, whom he praised for their efforts, they’re there specifically for Great Lakes Brewery.

“But I know myself, if I saw a barricade, I would just turn around. I’m not going to go find out what’s going on,” he said, noting officers have been tracking people entering to ensure they are indeed going to the brewery.

Thursday was supposed to be a release day of new brews, but Bulut said the estimated number of people expected to attend to get beer was potentially down by 70 per cent.

“It’s the ones that got intimidated by the line or, you know, nervous about coming down,” he said.

Adam Skelly, the owner of Adamson Barbecue, is facing several criminal charges after repeatedly breaking health regulations imposed by Toronto and Ontario.

Police said on Thursday they had changed the locks of the restaurant in the morning, after Toronto’s medical officer of health said the establishment must be closed under several health and safety regulations.

As an act of good faith, police said they allowed Skelly into a back area of the restaurant this afternoon but they say he broke through an interior wall to access the dining area and then damaged the city-installed locks. He was later arrested and charged. A protester, Michael Belito Arana, was also charged after Skelly was taken into custody.

Skelly and Arana appeared in a Toronto court on Friday. Skelly was released from 23 Division on $50,000 bail Friday evening and was required to attend court on Jan. 4. He told reporters one of his bail conditions is to not use his social media accounts while questioning being in custody for 30 hours. Arana was released on $500 bail and required to attend court on Jan. 11.

Cal Rosemond, an attorney for Skelly, said Skelly will be “represented in a fulsome way” and that he looks forward “to engaging with these allegations.”

Toronto and neighbouring Peel Region are in lockdown in an attempt to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus in the two hot spots. A ban on indoor dining at restaurants is one of the rules under Ontario’s COVID-19 lockdown regulations.

Skelly posted on Instagram that he intended to reopen the restaurant Monday morning in direct opposition to the province’s public health restrictions. He again reopened on Tuesday and Wednesday, leading the city’s medical officer of health to take possession of the property.

Bulut, who noted he hasn’t met Skelly, praised the barbecue restaurant itself and said not all of the activists “came down to cause trouble or harm.” But he said he is struggling to understand the nature of these particular protests.

“He has takeout food. He’s got great food. You could go there and shop. So I don’t understand if he’s taking a stance for the guys on Queensway? There’s been no reference to specific other businesses like a hair salon, so what’s the purpose other than getting the activists all riled up? I don’t understand,” he said.

“I think if he was a business that could not open, it would make much more sense if you want to take a stand like, ‘No, I think I should open. Here are my safety protocols’ and stuff.”

bluetoy
11-27-2020, 11:18 PM
Lately I've been hearing a lot of people use the word "sheep", what I want to know is are these people the ones going out shopping and not wearing a mask. Are these same people the ones starting fights with the people wearing masks. If you're calling people sheep but you're also wearing a mask in public or at work then what does it make you.

I can only speak for myself when I say I wear a mask because I don't want to spread this virus if I have it and I don't want to catch it from you if you have it and not because I am a sheep. Are we all sheep's because we follow the posted speed limit on the roads?

All I see are scared people, imo.

Your mask does nothing to protect you from catching it. It does almost nothing to prevent you from spreading it. Only N-95 mask is tight enough to catch the virus which is about 0.12 microns or 120 nanometers. ( a nanometer is 1 billionth of a meter.)

I wear a mask because people are afraid and I respect their feelings.

5.4MarkVIII
11-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Your mask does nothing to protect you from catching it. It does almost nothing to prevent you from spreading it. Only N-95 mask is tight enough to catch the virus which is about 0.12 microns or 120 nanometers. ( a nanometer is 1 billionth of a meter.)

I wear a mask because people are afraid and I respect their feelings.

100% accurate and backed up by science. I also wear a mask out of respect for other people. but dont for a second think that its doing much, as as a result im extra cautious about how close i am to people what i touch and how often i sanitize. I dont see it as people being sheep, lime many other things i see it as people being misinformed.

I am out on the road every day for work. I have yet to see one single person refusing to wear a mask when its required. I do however constantly see people wearing masks and then completely ignoring every other recommendation

Gr8Stang
11-28-2020, 01:13 PM
100% accurate and backed up by science. I also wear a mask out of respect for other people. but dont for a second think that its doing much, as as a result im extra cautious about how close i am to people what i touch and how often i sanitize. I dont see it as people being sheep, lime many other things i see it as people being misinformed.

I am out on the road every day for work. I have yet to see one single person refusing to wear a mask when its required. I do however constantly see people wearing masks and then completely ignoring every other recommendation

Absolutely see this out here in the S'hwa as well. I don't see any publications indicating where exactly people caught the virus when it comes to stores, restaurants, etc. Most of the identified areas where COVID has been contracted/spread and covered by Public Health and media are the hot spots; long term care/retirement homes, prisons, food processing plants and hospitals. Maybe the info.'s out there showing restaurants, malls, stores etc., but I haven't seen it.

5.4MarkVIII
11-28-2020, 02:03 PM
In general they say they are trying to not announce to the public when a business has cases unless it reaches a point where the business must be closed.

There have been a couple that I have seen (one in this area and one in London) that were outed after cases and it just ended up with people vilifying them on social media.

Every business has the signs and the sanitizer, the shields and the arrows. It’s the customers who don’t give space and don’t use the sanitizer go where they want and touch everything. And then it’s the same customers who jump on SM and talk about how bad things were when they were there.

No one wants to accept responsibility for their own actions, it easier to blame someone else.

Zutz2v
11-29-2020, 11:02 PM
This whole Covid thing has shown people's true colors. People I used to respect have shown that they're spineless, and afraid to speak their minds. Or they've readily given up their rights and have gone along with the herd mentality without any sort of critical thought.

Couldn’t agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zutz2v
11-29-2020, 11:25 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201130/09233b61da898367d9c61d7266ea68d7.jpg

This sums it all up. Regardless of what people think the virus ( here in Canada specifically) isn’t anywhere near as bad as they say. My friends who work in various hospitals as well as my sister who is in mount Sinai tell me the hospitals are empty. ( none of them have contracted Covid)

We have to ask questions.

Who are these people getting the virus?

Where are they getting it ? ( specifics)

What are the survival rates ?

What’s the true margin of error? ( from what hearing from nurses it’s 50% false positives

By shutting down all small businesses doesn’t make sense . Since when does the needs of the few out way the needs of the many ?

Zippy
11-30-2020, 12:34 AM
I heard on the radio the other day, that for $25 or so, there is a company putting together packages of items from local stores as like a gift bag for gift giving.
I thought, holy smokes, now that right there is what we should be focusing on... not this BBQ guy getting a weeks worth of TV time.

We should be supporting businesses that are trying to do the right thing.

Minaccia
11-30-2020, 01:11 AM
My mother's cousin in Italy died from Covid in May and my uncle, aunt and cousin had it here in Canada and they recovered. This virus is new to us and as you can see it's easy to catch especially if you have underlying issues. The common flu has been around for a long time and most of us get vaccinated for it but Covid is new as they still don't know everything about it.

I don't like to see the small businesses get shut down either but the problem is we have people that don't believe the virus is real or exist and there lies the problem, I know me wearing a mask won't stop everything but it will help and it's what we're asked to do to help control this thing. I'm following the rules that's all I'm doing.

I have to respect the people who think this virus is a scam, how come those people don't respect the ones that think it's real. It's always those conspiracy theorist, they know everything and trust nobody, lol.

This sums it all up. Regardless of what people think the virus ( here in Canada specifically) isn’t anywhere near as bad as they say. My friends who work in various hospitals as well as my sister who is in mount Sinai tell me the hospitals are empty. ( none of them have contracted Covid)

We have to ask questions.

Who are these people getting the virus?

Where are they getting it ? ( specifics)

What are the survival rates ?

What’s the true margin of error? ( from what hearing from nurses it’s 50% false positives

By shutting down all small businesses doesn’t make sense . Since when does the needs of the few out way the needs of the many ?

Foxstang
11-30-2020, 07:11 AM
All that energy time and effort could have been used to build a drive-thru lol what a clown.

RedSN
11-30-2020, 08:24 AM
Everybody in Canada now knows Adamson BBQ.
Until last week I had never heard of it.
And it’s literally a few doors down from Great Lakes Brewery.

5.4MarkVIII
11-30-2020, 08:29 AM
My mother's cousin in Italy died from Covid in May and my uncle, aunt and cousin had it here in Canada and they recovered. This virus is new to us and as you can see it's easy to catch especially if you have underlying issues. The common flu has been around for a long time and most of us get vaccinated for it but Covid is new as they still don't know everything about it.

I don't like to see the small businesses get shut down either but the problem is we have people that don't believe the virus is real or exist and there lies the problem, I know me wearing a mask won't stop everything but it will help and it's what we're asked to do to help control this thing. I'm following the rules that's all I'm doing.

I have to respect the people who think this virus is a scam, how come those people don't respect the ones that think it's real. It's always those conspiracy theorist, they know everything and trust nobody, lol.

I think it real. and i know based on the science that it has a better then 99.4% survival rate.

I dont think anyone here in this thread is debating masks. I for one disagree with how effective people say they are, and the science backs me up but i still wear one. every where i go everyone is wearing masks.

I draw the line at shutting down business and destroying peoples lively hoods, and stamping out peoples freedoms, for a virus that has a 99.4% survival rate. especially when its only effecting some. and the rules are not equally enforced.

there is no way to justify this. especially by saying just wear a mask and follow the rules.

Protect the Vulnerable. Stop the fearmongering

bbriann
11-30-2020, 09:11 AM
So if survival rate is 99.4% , so that works out that 1 out of 200 die from virus from contracting covid-19, do we get to pick who the 1 person is or can we have a volunteer?

bluetoy
11-30-2020, 09:16 AM
So far you still just as likely to die in a traffic accident.. So wheres the shutdown of all the roads.

5.4MarkVIII
11-30-2020, 10:42 AM
So if survival rate is 99.4% , so that works out that 1 out of 200 die from virus from contracting covid-19, do we get to pick who the 1 person is or can we have a volunteer?

I honestly dont understand the logic behind this sentiment. Especially after I clearly said protect the vulnerable.

Name me one other disease that we lock down everybody to protect the vulnerable? And many diseases with much higher death rates.

What is different about this one?

Quicksilver
11-30-2020, 12:09 PM
I happened to drive by Upper Canada Mall on Saturday. The entire parking lot was jamm packed full, with people literally lined up to get in at the entrances.
Then I passed a Sobey's grocery store at Bathurst and Carville road in Richmond Hill. Same thing.

Then we decided to go to my local Costco and the lineup was around 3 sides of the building. And no one was practicing social distancing, outside, or in.

It's no wonder that so many small businesses are upset, and for whatever ulterior motives he may have, so also Adam Skelly. So many of these small business owners are literally fighting for their lives and their families.

I honestly don't know which way is right: to lock down everything and hope to "flatten the curve" or let everyone open up and hope for the best.
Personally, I think that small business including restaurants should be allowed to at least open up in a limited way as they were in September.

Zutz2v
11-30-2020, 04:08 PM

First off in sorry to hear about your loss. I truly believe the virus is 100% real. But that being said I don’t fear it as a killer.

What’s happening in Europe is different from here. They’re dealing with something completely different IMO. I’m convinced it’s a different virus there all together.

Also understand that the numbers show less then 5% of all reported cases ( keep in mind 50% false positives) are restaurant related so it’s unfair to shut them down while major businesses stay open and continue to run zoo’s.

I for one appreciate people who follow the rules. But I can openly and honestly say I personally don’t wear a mask for many reasons.

1. They don’t work
2. I can’t breath
3. I’m choosing to take a stand against mandatory masks to show people they shouldn’t be afraid. It just takes a few and the rest will wake up slowly.

There’s to many variables in this “ virus”. And no evidence supporting a lot of the claims. That being said nobody, mask wearing or not, can say this while this isn’t a massive over reaction and a ploy for government take over.

mavrrrick
11-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Yup.... lost my Mom to Covid on April 23.

Zippy
11-30-2020, 06:12 PM

Sorry for your loss Mav.

Zippy
11-30-2020, 06:16 PM
"I can't breath"

My head hurts from this statement

5.4MarkVIII
11-30-2020, 06:50 PM

sorry for your loss

redo75
11-30-2020, 11:35 PM
So if you survive it great but what about the long term effects. Most are not well understood or known yet. So for the rest of your lifetime...... no thanks.
Mask on for me and keep out of my face period.

We have had a number of demonstrating in the streets for there freedom and no masks policy eg Alymer
They want their right to freedom???? but look at how they force their women to dress???
Church of God religious freedom when it suits your means

Zexhuffer
12-01-2020, 12:33 AM
You mean in the recent lockdown? Or “ever”?
Back in March all my sites shut down. Work dried up, and I got laid off.

I'm guessing ever. I had 3 weeks off in late April and then back at it. Min 50-60 hrs a week and since sept I've been doing 6 days a week and 11 hr days.

I'll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself about this covid bs

Screw
12-01-2020, 06:31 AM
Completely agree with the FB post.. this is getting a little out of hand. It’s funny to me that a mask fixes everything. Was at Walmart the other day.. a complete shit show at the checkout.

I’m not saying the virus isn’t real... it’s just extremely exaggerated in all forms, IMO anyways.

Construction sites in the GTA never shutdown. Possibly the dirtiest washrooms/trailers in the city. Way too much tax money lost if construction shuts down.

...you continue to build your immune system & your not in a bubble

Screw
12-01-2020, 06:48 AM
They’ve obviously dun a piss poor job of protecting the elderly and vulnerable with compromised health conditions ...maybe focus there instead of destroying small businesses. So that niche chocolate store is a super spreader but not Walmart ? Gimme a break . Linda’s Gift shop is more dangerous than Costco ? Sorry I don’t buy this shit ! 2 of my cousins had the “flu” no meds , 2 weeks had to stay home & that’s about it .
I’m not gonna ramble on here I do enough elsewhere. My hands are still dirty as fk as they’ve been last 3 decades on tools , ya I eat without sanitizer on my samich.

Hey Luigi, if Canadian Tire or Walmart was allowed to sell car parts because they sold household staples but you were asked to step down ...would you feel the same & and close up ? Assuming you have a have a landlord & utilities in a store front environment may be a better example , I know yours is on-line . But just sayin man .

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2020, 08:10 AM
edit: cant make video link properly

FABMAN
12-01-2020, 08:12 AM

Sorry for your loss Mav.

Screw
12-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Last one for me ....I’m trying to follow Dr tams advice like everyone else to a T ...what’s your choice of material for a glory hole like the chief medical officer suggested on the onset of this ? :D pffff if everyone just followed her advice we wouldn’t be in this mess . Happy snow day ;)

StAnger
12-01-2020, 08:57 AM
"I can't breath"

My head hurts from this statement

Are you saying that's not a valid statement? Because I respectfully disagree, as I've had breathing trouble for the past few years.

Zutz2v
12-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Are you saying that's not a valid statement? Because I respectfully disagree, as I've had breathing trouble for the past few years.

He was directing that at me. Hinting not wearing a mask because I can’t breath isn’t a valid excuse.

What Ross doesn’t know is I wear an industrial grade mask with a double filtration system all day long so I can tell when a mask doesn’t work.

Screw
12-01-2020, 09:50 AM
He was directing that at me. Hinting not wearing a mask because I can’t breath isn’t a valid excuse.

What Ross doesn’t know is I wear an industrial grade mask with a double filtration system all day long so I can tell when a mask doesn’t work.

Dude just continue with recommendations from Tam ...”glory hole “ save lives !

Armen
12-01-2020, 09:53 AM
What would help everyone navigate through this is a daily or weekly report that is in context. Not just how many positive cases there are because, to me, that is only part of the information and basically fear mongering. This report should be clear and easy to find on the Government of Ontario website.

Number of tests.
Number of positive results from those particular tests.
Number of symptomatic vs asymptomatic from those tests.
Number of ICU beds in Ontario.
Number of ICU beds taken by Covid patients.
Death rate on outcome of Covid positives.
Age of victims who have succumbed.

Give people the information to make the best decisions for them and their families.

Zippy
12-01-2020, 11:04 AM

Sounds good Zutz

Gr8Stang
12-01-2020, 11:41 AM
What would help everyone navigate through this is a daily or weekly report that is in context. Not just how many positive cases there are because, to me, that is only part of the information and basically fear mongering. This report should be clear and easy to find on the Government of Ontario website.

Number of tests.

Give people the information to make the best decisions for them and their families.

Agree, the info. you mention above would be very helpful in better characterizing the virus and the risk it poses to individuals. This Gov't of Canada site gives some of the details. Scroll down the page to find some info. on hospitalization data.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html#a7

Not sure if anyone caught the news yesterday about voluntary testing being done in some Toronto schools, but they found 19 asymptomatic cases (tested 400+ kids and staff). 18 were kids and one adult. If they hadn't tested, those kids would have carried on as usual...because they didn't realize they have the virus. Kinda confirms what a lot of people have been saying; lots of people out there unknowingly infected, but hard to characterize without actually testing everyone. And....doesn't give us a true sense of the mortality rate of this virus, i.e. its much lower then advertised.

StAnger
12-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Fair enough. I was a temperature screener, and could tell even N95 masks are useless.

Now before anyone jumps on my case. I wore the mask outside for no more than a few minutes at a time. Any more than say 5 minutes, I was struggling to breath and inside is a big no-no. Not to mention I'm a citizen of Panic Attack City if I have to wear a mask inside.

bluetoy
12-01-2020, 12:44 PM
I also have a difficult time breathing with my mask on. I was at a mall the other day to get my son a haircut. We had to walk up the stairs because the escalator was closed due to covid...?? At the top I could not catch my breath. I struggled for several minutes and finally decided to prevent me from passing out I would get a soft drink so i could take off my mask and drink it without one of the many security officers throwing me out. So if you think everyone can breathe with these things on just because you can, then you are wrong. Had the same problem a couple weeks ago at the eye doctor. Was out of breath a bit, I pulled my mask away from my face only to inhale. The receptionist told me rudely " put your mask on" I said I can't catch my breath and she rolled her eyes and said "right, I wear one 8 hrs a day and I don't have any problem".

95GT_VERT
12-01-2020, 05:10 PM
My wife works in health care and asked the CEO if there is any truth in how they determine cause of deaths....if someone had a heart attack and died but also tested positive for covid it is considered a covid death because its worth more money to the hospital that way. How many deaths are from years of bad habits but get called a covid death ? Money �� trumps the truth

RedSN
12-01-2020, 05:36 PM
You’re wife’s expert opinion is that her own hospital is faking (embellishing) Covid numbers/deaths for money?

For what it’s worth: these are “Covid related deaths”.
I get the point you are trying to make, but if someone with a heart condition gets Covid, and the virus stresses the body to the point of a heart attack, is Covid not a factor in that death?

92redragtop
12-01-2020, 06:30 PM
That's a good way to lose a high 6 or low 7-figure job.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2020, 06:42 PM
You’re wife’s expert opinion is that her own hospital is faking (embellishing) Covid numbers/deaths for money?

For what it’s worth: these are “Covid related deaths”.
I get the point you are trying to make, but if someone with a heart condition gets Covid, and the virus stresses the body to the point of a heart attack, is Covid not a factor in that death?

the question i would ask is, if someone gets the flu and dies from a heart attack, do they get listed as a flu related or a heart attack? I don't know the answer to that question I don't think you should be suppressed at the idea of a hospital working things for more money. My cousins hospital ceo (if that what you call them) shut down a floor to meet the budget, got a bonus for meeting her target. and then a week later the nurses union was pulling adds blaming the government for the layoffs. I would not be surprised at all to find out they were labeling deaths a certain way to get bonus money

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2020, 06:44 PM

Number of tests.

100% agree

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2020, 06:52 PM
as for masks and not being able to breath. i think its hilarious how many people go off saying I don't have a problem so your making it up. every body is different and things effect people in a certain way.

I have not had asthma related problems since I was about 10ish.

since wearing a mask daily I have had an ER visit after going into a major attack at work. luckily i was in a town with a hospital. after that i had a visit with my family dr to get back on an asthma med. both the nurses and both the drs i was dealing with said, yes it was a thing and to limit mask use when posable. by taking breaks and going outside so i could remove it while working.

the funny part is after this our local healthcare group issued a statement saying that there was no link to masks and asthma issues

after more that 2 decades with no attacks. Im currently averaging 2-3 minor attacks every week and a major one about once every couple weeks.

Screw
12-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Where’s the slow turd guy :D

ZR
12-01-2020, 07:11 PM
Where you at Ron??

95GT_VERT
12-01-2020, 07:18 PM
So if a car accident victim dies from blunt force trauma to the head but has covid is it the car accident or covid ? At the hospital it would be covid if they just so happen to have it

95GT_VERT
12-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Don't get me wrong , I follow all covid rules but I also get to see the "other" side of it .

RedSN
12-01-2020, 08:33 PM
a covid death because its worth more money to the hospital that way.
You’re not using “resources” and “money” interchangeably, are you?

Gr8Stang
12-01-2020, 08:56 PM
That's a good way to lose a high 6 or low 7-figure job.

Speaking of money....Dr. David Williams, Chief Medical Officer in Ontario makes over $400K/yr. I picked the wrong vocation. Wow....

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Speaking of money....Dr. David Williams, Chief Medical Officer in Ontario makes over $400K/yr. I picked the wrong vocation. Wow....

dont worry, your health care is free.

92redragtop
12-01-2020, 10:47 PM

How much do you think doctors make? Then Specialists? I'm surprised that you are surprised.

Zutz2v
12-02-2020, 12:27 AM
My wife works in health care and asked the CEO if there is any truth in how they determine cause of deaths....if someone had a heart attack and died but also tested positive for covid it is considered a covid death because its worth more money to the hospital that way. How many deaths are from years of bad habits but get called a covid death ? Money �� trumps the truth

My sister told me the same thing

Zutz2v
12-02-2020, 12:32 AM
Dude just continue with recommendations from Tam ...”glory hole “ save lives !

That thing wants to visit that glory hole man. I wouldn’t fuck her for the life of me.

5.4MarkVIII
12-02-2020, 08:28 AM
How much do you think doctors make? Then Specialists? I'm surprised that you are surprised.

Im surprised its only 400k for the CMO of ontario My Brother in law, lives out east, only a couple years out of med school, this year he is doing an Er rotation and a rotation in a small family clinic. he said he would make around 300k for the year between the two.

Scrape
12-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear bud.

Black Sheep
12-02-2020, 08:38 AM

That’s the A.B.C. of life.

Scrape
12-02-2020, 09:56 AM
That’s a good question.
Where you at Ron??

92redragtop
12-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Im surprised its only 400k for the CMO of ontario My Brother in law, lives out east, only a couple years out of med school, this year he is doing an Er rotation and a rotation in a small family clinic. he said he would make around 300k for the year between the two.

Yeah, I think a doctor with experience would take a pay cut to be a CMO.

Gr8Stang
12-02-2020, 12:01 PM

Yah, guess I'm outta touch when it comes to how much they make. Now I wonder what he actually does in his role as CMO....(outside the obvious....Pandemic)

5.4MarkVIII
12-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I think a doctor with experience would take a pay cut to be a CMO.

Wonder if this is a case of “those who can, do. Those who can’t, get into politics.

92redragtop
12-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Wonder if this is a case of “those who can, do. Those who can’t, get into politics.

Not sure - he was a practicing doctor at the hospital level before moving into government medical roles.

5.4MarkVIII
12-02-2020, 07:20 PM
well. after seeing Fords comments today. saying it would be too hard to ask big box stores to only sell essentials when in a locked down area, and then went as far as advocating people to shop online from big retailers instead of shopping is stores. I will be calling his office tomorrow to inform them I will not be voting for the conservative party as long as he is at the helm.

absolutely disgusting to justify shuttering small business and openly advocate to shop at large American owned corporations instead.

Minaccia
12-02-2020, 10:00 PM
I also heard him today and he said to support the local small business and not online such as Amazon and the big retailers, not sure how we both heard different messages.

Their reason for keeping the small business closed is because they don't want us going to 5 different stores to do our shopping, not sure if it's helping with the spread of the virus but it's not helping the small businesses.

well. after seeing Fords comments today. saying it would be too hard to ask big box stores to only sell essentials when in a locked down area, and then went as far as advocating people to shop online from big retailers instead of shopping is stores. I will be calling his office tomorrow to inform them I will not be voting for the conservative party as long as he is at the helm.

absolutely disgusting to justify shuttering small business and openly advocate to shop at large American owned corporations instead.

5.4MarkVIII
12-02-2020, 10:12 PM
https://youtu.be/WCQOQmoBmcs

saying he it would be too hard for the big box to sell essentials and not other stuff.
telling people to order online. Not everyone is set up for online sales. not many business have the logistic network to be able to do online sales. Because at the same time there are still telling people to report business who are "gouging" which means business cant charge more to cover theses extra costs. it makes it extremely unlikely that small business can compete with amazon and the like. poor excuse for leadership

92redragtop
12-03-2020, 12:07 AM
It's not that hard to get setup for online or phone orders with curbside pickup if a business has exterior doors. We've helped brick and mortar retail merchants do this since the Spring.

He clearly said not just the big box for online so smaller retailers should look at how they can get their products listed online for curbside pickup.

5.4MarkVIII
12-03-2020, 07:44 AM
to say big box can be open but small business have to be closed is just wrong period. your looking at a large chain with there own logistics and shipping divisions, and saying hey limiting what you sell is going to be too difficult for you so you go ahead, and then you look at a small mom and pop with just a handful of employees, and one or two phone lines and saying, you have two choices. change your entire business model on a dime, do something you have never done before that your not set up for. figure out the massive logistics pain for it. or close your doors and send everyone home.

it took us 3 years and 3 difference companies to get a half decent website and you STILL cant order directly off of it.

you know what happens when a small business tries to get stuff shipped. in small batches o one offs to meat deliveries? they get charged extra, while big guys with big loads get free shipping because of the size of loads.

do you know what happens when there is only 10 items in the warehouse and the small guy says i sold one please allocate stock. and then the big guy says I sold 8 but i want 2 for stock. all 10 go to the big guy.

i could go on all day.

its already hard enough for small business to compete. they dont need the government kneecapping them because they dont want to make it difficult for the multinational chain that made record sales during a pandemic already

Zutz2v
12-03-2020, 09:51 AM
I still think the majority of us should be working like normal.

Common sense should tell us that if your sick just stay home and stay away from others. Before we could not do this in fear of losing jobs and money. Now people are being forced to stay home for the same reasons. Probably why flu season is just “ covid” season now. Which reminds me, if what we’re doing to stopping the flu, sanitizing and wearing masks, why isn’t it stopping covid ?

100% there is more to this then just the virus, regardless of stand point on this controversial issue, I wish everyone the best and to take care of themselves no matter what. I wish the best for all.

ZR
12-04-2020, 09:16 AM
Leave it to peeps common sense, we couldn't even get everyone to wear a mask let along stay home / away from others when sick. It's just so easy to be part of the solution yet it's the part so many find impossible.

A cloth mask is intended to trap droplets that are released when the wearer talks, coughs or sneezes. Asking everyone to wear cloth masks can help reduce the spread of the virus by people who have <abbr title="coronavirus disease 2019" style="color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">COVID-19</abbr> but don't realize it.

RedSN
12-04-2020, 06:23 PM
A cloth mask is intended to trap droplets that are released when the wearer talks, coughs or sneezes.
Such a basic concept you’d think everybody would understand.
Helps prevent the wearer from spreading the virus.
Does little to prevent the wearer from contracting the virus.

Anti-maskers: it’s not about YOU.

5.4MarkVIII
12-04-2020, 06:37 PM
Such a basic concept you’d think everybody would understand.
Helps prevent the wearer from spreading the virus.
Does little to prevent the wearer from contracting the virus.

Anti-maskers: it’s not about YOU.

I would be totally on board if it wasn’t for the giant spike in every place world wide that has mandated masks.

They are treated like the holy grail but only a small part of the bigger picture.

Minaccia
12-04-2020, 06:42 PM
IMO, the anti-maskers are all attention seekers that's why they have to tell us they are one. They remind me of vegetarians, everyone has to know they're different from the rest.

Leave it to peeps common sense, we couldn't even get everyone to wear a mask let along stay home / away from others when sick. It's just so easy to be part of the solution yet it's the part so many find impossible.

A cloth mask is intended to trap droplets that are released when the wearer talks, coughs or sneezes. Asking everyone to wear cloth masks can help reduce the spread of the virus by people who have <abbr title="coronavirus disease 2019" style="color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">COVID-19</abbr> but don't realize it.

ZR
12-04-2020, 06:43 PM
^ Easy answer, because only 2/3 of us are doing the right thing while the other 1/3 choose to disregard it.

5.4MarkVIII
12-04-2020, 06:47 PM
^ Easy answer, because only 2/3 of us are doing the right thing while the other 1/3 choose to disregard it.

I don’t thing those numbers are accurate at all

Sure there are a couple people being dicks about it, but by no means 1/3. And by that logic the outbreaks would correlate with places they have been. Since the majority of outbreaks seem to be, care homes and hospitals, A place where masks are 100% mandatory for anyone coming in. I’d say there is more to the story.

ZR
12-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Accurate number or not (pulled it out of a hat for example only), the virus does not spread itself, humans being dumb ass's do. Appalling how many you see in stores with either no mask or mask around their neck or mask covering mouth only.

5.4MarkVIII
12-04-2020, 07:01 PM
Yeah I get that. Can’t speak for the city but around here everyone is wearing when out and about.

bluetoy
12-04-2020, 11:57 PM
I have yet to see someone not wearing a mask in a store. I have seen idiots bumping into each other and crowding each other though..

ZR
12-05-2020, 12:01 AM
Polar opposite here, rare to go into a store without seeing a person or persons.

92redragtop
12-05-2020, 12:02 AM
Accurate number or not (pulled it out of a hat for example only), the virus does not spread itself, humans being dumb ass's do. Appalling how many you see in stores with either no mask or mask around their neck or mask covering mouth only.

Yup - too many folks in stores and line-ups who won't wear it properly. Not sure if they don't know, don't believe, or don't care.

Screw
12-06-2020, 07:52 AM
IMO, the anti-maskers are all attention seekers that's why they have to tell us they are one. They remind me of vegetarians, everyone has to know they're different from the rest.

I’m anti bullshit Lou , but can’t smell it through a mask so I’ll wear it where required otherwise stay 6 ft from me & you’ll be safe ...

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 09:03 AM
been sharing this like mad https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1335012215821381634?s=20

you tube keeps removing the video and facebook has removed posts.

Mike Rowe's comment
Mike Rowe’s comments
Enough already.
This woman is right to be angry. She’s right to be scared. And she’s right to be protesting. Please watch this short video and share it. Or, just keep reading, and I’ll tell you what it contains.
The woman in the video has been deemed “non-essential,” because her business has been deemed, “unsafe” by the Mayor of Los Angeles. Like every other restaurant owner, she is shut down. Even after spending a small fortune to build an outdoor space, and following all the government guidelines, she is once again out of business. And yet, right next door to her restaurant - in the parking lot not fifty feet from her own outdoor patio - a movie company has been allowed to set up a massive catering operation, in order to feed the enormous cast and crew of whatever film is being made.
Full disclosure, I’ve been working since March, because I am among those who have been deemed “essential” by the state. Why? Beats me. I can only tell you that I’ve been flying all over the country filming commercials, making TV shows, and even giving a few socially distanced speeches. I’ve followed all the safety protocols, and in no instance did I ever feel uncomfortable with the risk I had assumed. In fact, I’m flying again next week to film another project, and while the production won’t leave a footprint as large as a movie set, the crew and I will be dining outdoors in the same basic conditions you see in this video. Point being, I’ve been able to keep my people employed, so I suppose I should be grateful to the Governor of California and the Mayor of Los Angeles for allowing me to do so. But I do not feel grateful to them. I feel angry. I feel angry because of what’s happening to this woman.
Friends of this page know that I’ve been writing and talking about the business of “essentiality” since March, mostly because people ask me about it every single day. Dirty Jobs was, and still is, the “granddaddy of essential working shows,” so people assume I’ll have nice things to say about America’s essential workers. And of course, I do. But I have also warned from the very beginning of these devastating lockdowns, that ALL workers are essential to someone – even if only to their families or to themselves. And I have looked with deep suspicion upon the logic that allows our leaders to determine, in their sole discretion, who is essential, and who is not. Especially those officials who tell us that “our safety is their responsibility.” I still remember Governor’s Cuomo’s incredible statement months ago.
“Any measure is justified,” he said, “if it can save a single life.”
As I argued over the summer, if saving lives was really his top priority, he’d lower the speed limit to ten miles an hour and outlaw left turns. And if “flattening the curve” was really the goal of the lockdowns - as he and so many others assured us for months - then we’d only lockdown when the hospitals were overwhelmed. But the Governor not only said what he said, he repeated it – over and over again. “Any measure is justified, if it can save a single life.”
How in the world did we get to a point where we allowed the prospect of a single to death to paralyze a country of 330 million people? When did “staying alive for as long as possible,” become more important than the freedom to assume our own risk? And how can anyone expect the woman in this video to obey her elected officials - officials who brazenly violate their own rules and regulations? Gavin Newsome caught dining at the French Laundry is not a small thing. Neither is Nancy Pelosi, caught mask-less in a salon closed to the public, or the mayors of San Francisco and Chicago, all caught red-handed violating their own edicts? These are ENORMOUS things. Not just because their actions reveal their hypocrisy – which is truly rank - but because their actions show us in undeniable living color, that THEY ARE NOT AFRAID.
Which begs the obvious question, why are we?
Or more to the point, why do they want us to be?
I’ll say again what I said in March. We are not, at base, a “Safety First” nation. For short periods of time, we might choose to put our safety above our liberty, but not for long. Especially when our leaders peddle policies with no rhyme, no reason, and no sense of fairness. If I can follow sensible protocols in the course of filming a TV show, shouldn’t the woman in this video be allowed to follow the same protocols while serving her customers?
If someone in charge doesn’t address the fundamental inequity unfolding in her parking lot, I’m afraid the pushback is going to make the protests we saw this summer look like a parade. I think we’re going to see a level of unparalleled civil disobedience. Because in the end, it’s easy to forgive our leaders, when their mistakes are born of ignorance and stupidity. But it’s nearly impossible to overlook the proclamations of a hypocrite or deny what we can all see with our own eyes. The evidence demands a verdict.
Watch the video again.
And pass it on.

92redragtop
12-06-2020, 11:53 AM
I don't think she tests all her customers that come in?

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 01:20 PM
I don't think she tests all her customers that come in?

Was never a requirement. Have not heard that being a requirement for the movie staff

Was she given the chance to adopt that? Or just told shut down and shut up while these millionaires get to keep working?

92redragtop
12-06-2020, 01:46 PM
I don't know if she was given the chance to pay for that too. I know for the entertainment industry (and sports) they have requirements to stay in pods (ie. maybe the multiple different tents they setup are to keep bubbles intact), and they have to do regular testing within the bubbles to isolate any positive cases if they occur. This also means they have to hire people to administer the testing - another overhead cost.

In theory, if she has invested in the necessary precautions and is willing to do contact tracing and follow mask/distancing guidelines then there should be some accommodation, although the risk is naturally higher because her tables are more likely to have people who are not in bubbles, and come together from disparate groups without masks versus a work team who is together on shifts and gets tested regularly. Problem is you get a few idiots like this Adamson's guy who spoils it for all the other business owners who are trying to comply with guidelines.

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 03:36 PM
Her and many other business owners complied with all the guidelines put down.

They closed them anyway.

Adam son protested because he was told to shut down dispite having complied with all other requirements.

Are big box stores forced to test everyone? Or even ask for contact information? Are gas stations? Grocery stores? Beer stores?

Sorry all I hear are BS justifications for BS policy created by BS politicians.

Fuck science close everyone down except those who line our pockets?

ZR
12-06-2020, 04:26 PM
Easy to see it's a two tier enforcement kinda deal, how did sports because essential? Same for those in the know being able to freely travel across borders.
Initial camera shots from outside suggest sticking to the rules was not high on the agenda there.
As for the food itself, based on glowing reviews, bought a mega platter of assorted meats last Christmas, most definitely not my taste in BBQ, ate very little of it.

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Easy to see it's a two tier enforcement kinda deal, how did sports because essential? Same for those in the know being able to freely travel across borders.
Initial camera shots from outside suggest sticking to the rules was not high on the agenda there.
As for the food itself, based on glowing reviews, bought a mega platter of assorted meats last Christmas, most definitely not my taste in BBQ, ate very little of it.

I get that, but for everyone flaunting it id say there are at least hundreds that are following to a T. I don't agree with punishing everyone due to a handful of peoples actions. especially when they are selective on who it applies to.

ZR
12-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Numbers continue to be high suggesting not enough are taking any part of this seriously.

RedSN
12-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Adam son protested because he was told to shut down dispite having complied with all other requirements.
If you don’t include “having a business license”.

bluetoy
12-06-2020, 06:41 PM
The funny thing is back in the summer when masks were optional I chose to go without one. I was much more at ease then because people were afraid of me and they kept their distance from me. I had no issues with anyone brushing up against me or even reaching for stuff in front of me. Now that I am required to wear a mask everywhere I find people are convinced that there is no risk at all. They don't avoid each other, no one minds bumping into you or reaching in front of you. I honestly believe that mask wearing could possibly be causing more harm than good.

Of course I reserve the right to be 100% incorrect.

92redragtop
12-06-2020, 07:03 PM
Her and many other business owners complied with all the guidelines put down.

They closed them anyway.

Are big box stores forced to test everyone? Or even ask for contact information? Are gas stations? Grocery stores? Beer stores?

Sorry all I hear are BS justifications for BS policy created by BS politicians.

Fuck science close everyone down except those who line our pockets?

He was not "shut down" since he was able to open for take-out (and sells take-out type food not high end steak dinners) just like the businesses around him who complained that he was affecting their take-out business with the anti-mask/COVID protesters.

I believe eat-in restaurants were asked to do contact tracing even for outdoor patio diners when onsite dining was available. Restaurants are naturally higher risk than big box stores.

In Bolton, I think I'm more at risk shopping in the mom & pop grocery store in Bolton than the Zehrs (Loblaws) store next to it or at Can Tire or even Walmart - small footprint, narrow aisles, etc. I've had more people invade "personal space" in this grocery than in any of the big box stores - maybe they're not doing a good job counting numbers coming/going even with line-ups outside but it gets busy and tight in there.

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 07:16 PM
If you don’t include “having a business license”.

had not heard anything about him not having a business license. Pre his protest were there reports of him not following regulations?

Gr8Stang
12-06-2020, 07:16 PM
Numbers continue to be high suggesting not enough are taking any part of this seriously.

A lot of the trouble areas have been in long term care/retirement home communities, meat processing plants, transportation etc.

You would think by now the gov't would have mandated better controls in these known high case areas, particularly those that are seeing the biggest death impacts. Just found out that another Long Term care facility has been hit, this time in Whitby.

92redragtop
12-06-2020, 07:24 PM
had not heard anything about him not having a business license. Pre his protest were there reports of him not following regulations?

One of my employees purchases take-out from their Leaside location - said he would not eat onsite as they don't enforce guidelines inside restaurant. Not sure if that played into the whole thing if he's been fined or warned previously so was pissed already.

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 07:24 PM
He was not "shut down" since he was able to open for take-out (and sells take-out type food not high end steak dinners) just like the businesses around him who complained that he was affecting their take-out business with the anti-mask/COVID protesters.

I believe eat-in restaurants were asked to do contact tracing even for outdoor patio diners when onsite dining was available. Restaurants are naturally higher risk than big box stores.

In Bolton, I think I'm more at risk shopping in the mom & pop grocery store in Bolton than the Zehrs (Loblaws) store next to it or at Can Tire or even Walmart - small footprint, narrow aisles, etc. I've had more people invade "personal space" in this grocery than in any of the big box stores - maybe they're not doing a good job counting numbers coming/going even with line-ups outside but it gets busy and tight in there.

demanding someone cut business, which leads to sending home employees and not being able to meet overhead is basically forcing them to shut down. your a damn accountant you KNOW that. Forsing a change in business model is forcing a shut down in some cases.

there is NO scientific evidence what so ever that supports the notion that restaurants are higher risk. and the idea that a mom and pop store that is following guidelines and sees a fraction of the traffic that a big box store sees is laughable. I would take a small shop whos owners have a stake in guaranteeing guidelines are followed to stay open over a big box with minimum wage DGAF employees, an management and owners that now know they are immune from lockdowns. any day of the week

look at the data that is widely available in most areas the largest percentage of infections have no idea where they are contacting them from. Maybe all these big box stores where no contact tracing and very little sanitizing is being done.

More BS excuse making

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 07:28 PM
One of my employees purchases take-out from their Leaside location - said he would not eat onsite as they don't enforce guidelines inside restaurant. Not sure if that played into the whole thing if he's been fined or warned previously so was pissed already.

is that him not following guidelines or customers? people here have said lots of people in the city are not following guidelines so is that the fault of a business just trying to get by and not wanting to turn away business or end up with an altercation or is that teh customers for ignoring posted rules?

ive never been i cant say for sure, I know any places not following were usualy called out and vilified by the media, I heard nothing from Adamson until he re opened in protest. form teh media reports he was pissed about being screwed last time, then putting money into meeting guidelines and then getting screwed again.

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 07:30 PM
The funny thing is back in the summer when masks were optional I chose to go without one. I was much more at ease then because people were afraid of me and they kept their distance from me. I had no issues with anyone brushing up against me or even reaching for stuff in front of me. Now that I am required to wear a mask everywhere I find people are convinced that there is no risk at all. They don't avoid each other, no one minds bumping into you or reaching in front of you. I honestly believe that mask wearing could possibly be causing more harm than good.

Of course I reserve the right to be 100% incorrect.

since every single place world wide that has mandated masks is seeing the same spike in cases. there is a likely hood that you are correct, but it seems that data and science dont matter anymore.

92redragtop
12-06-2020, 07:32 PM
A lot of the trouble areas have been in long term care/retirement home communities, meat processing plants, transportation etc.

You would think by now the gov't would have mandated better controls in these known high case areas, particularly those that are seeing the biggest death impacts. Just found out that another Long Term care facility has been hit, this time in Whitby.

Seems employees are some of the ones bringing the virus into these facilities, and the regional health testing protocols are not adequate in my opinion (based on hearing about the senior living facility my wife works at).

5.4MarkVIII
12-06-2020, 07:32 PM

I have been in care homes and hospitals for work. Mandatory screening, mandatory masking. constant cleaning.

still spread.

92redragtop
12-06-2020, 09:54 PM
is that him not following guidelines or customers? people here have said lots of people in the city are not following guidelines so is that the fault of a business just trying to get by and not wanting to turn away business or end up with an altercation or is that teh customers for ignoring posted rules?

ive never been i cant say for sure, I know any places not following were usualy called out and vilified by the media, I heard nothing from Adamson until he re opened in protest. form teh media reports he was pissed about being screwed last time, then putting money into meeting guidelines and then getting screwed again.

If he cannot maintain control on his premises then he should not be opening for onsite. His supporters appear to be anti-maskers and people who don't believe COVID is real (at least the ones in the front at the protests at his Etobicoke location) so maybe they are the ones who were not following guidelines onsite..