PDA

View Full Version : Expired Plates

CON VERT
01-04-2021, 02:11 PM
MY plates expired in NOV but I still haven't gotten any notice etc, forgot all about it , just ordered them on line with out any issues. anyone else, I did hear something about a grace period but it is not on the web site ?

xeninworx
01-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Yep. Happened to my dad and wife. Dad went to MTO and wife did hers online.

Scrape
01-04-2021, 02:23 PM
My dad never got his either. Both Drivers license and sticker was expired and had to be renewed. I told him to go in person and was done right away since he was a senior.

Das 5.0
01-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Did the same Glen, plates were expired and I went and they advised I could go longer on the expired sticker....I don’t like driving that way ....

Old Fart
01-04-2021, 04:03 PM
Because of covid, they extended the stickers expiry date.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/extended-validation-periods

bluetoy
01-04-2021, 04:38 PM
If I can make it until March 2021 I will have saved $3000 on license sticker for the dump truck.

USAWIT2
01-04-2021, 04:50 PM
If I can make it until March 2021 I will have saved $3000 on license sticker for the dump truck.Wonder if you'll have to pay for last year's sticker when you go to renew, and damn that's alot for a sticker

92redragtop
01-04-2021, 04:55 PM
My daily driver expired last July and my wife's expired in December but we haven't renewed yet due to the sticker extension. Will probably have catch-up the payment when the time comes to update them - curious to see how they handle that.

Same with my Health Card - expired but has been accepted with no question due to the expiry date extensions.

EDIT - just checked my DL...that's expired too. Nothing by mail on all 4 items as the government departments are shutdown.

CON VERT
01-04-2021, 05:35 PM
Did the same Glen, plates were expired and I went and they advised I could go longer on the expired sticker....I don’t like driving that way ....

Just another reason to pull you over !

bluetoy
01-04-2021, 06:00 PM
Wonder if you'll have to pay for last year's sticker when you go to renew, and damn that's alot for a sticker

Nope. And yes it is. Higher Gross weight=higher sticker price.

Darkhorse
01-04-2021, 06:35 PM
When you go to do it finally, you still have to pay for the time it wasn't renewed.

I know the website says it's all good to be running around with an expired sticker right now, but I went and got the one I needed because I know people that still got tickets for not having it AFTER April of this year, so the MTO can say all they want, but you can still go to the office and renew and the coppers will do what they want anyway. I'd rather not give them a reason to write a ticket.

LX89
01-04-2021, 11:07 PM
Mine expired in May and I haven't renewed yet.
I'm in no hurry to part with $120.

92redragtop
01-04-2021, 11:28 PM
When you go to do it finally, you still have to pay for the time it wasn't renewed.

I know the website says it's all good to be running around with an expired sticker right now, but I went and got the one I needed because I know people that still got tickets for not having it AFTER April of this year, so the MTO can say all they want, but you can still go to the office and renew and the coppers will do what they want anyway. I'd rather not give them a reason to write a ticket.

Did their sticker expire after the government shutdowns? If so, they extensions clearly apply and they shouldn't be ticketed. If their sticker expired before the shutdowns then they would still be ticketed since they would have received their renewal notice 2 months earlier. These stopped mailing back in the late winter/early spring. I'd be surprised if they were ticketing for expiries after they stopped mailing renewal notices since Ontario Courts are closed since last April for anything but serious criminal cases. These incorrect tickets, if issued, would just create even more backlog for when the courts eventually re-open....probably in the spring and they start with stuff from 2019.

bluetoy
01-05-2021, 08:23 AM

Any license sticker that expired before the March lock down must be renewed. If it expired after the shutdown in March then you do not have to renew. If you travel outside the province you may encounter problems though.

Snaketamer
01-05-2021, 12:51 PM
This thread got me thinking...lol Went outside and checked my plate. Sure enough, I didn't renew my sticker in November. Figured I'd get online and order up the stickers for my F150 and Cobra. On the way back from coffee, I drove by the Service Ontario outlet and low and behold, it was open. Dropped in and picked up my stickers.

Gr8Stang
01-05-2021, 02:53 PM
Didn't receive my renewal notice either. Guess I'll go online now and at least get my two DD's done and wait to get the Shelby's done @ Service Ontario when it comes out of storage in the spring.

Darkhorse
01-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Did their sticker expire after the government shutdowns? If so, they extensions clearly apply and they shouldn't be ticketed. If their sticker expired before the shutdowns then they would still be ticketed since they would have received their renewal notice 2 months earlier. These stopped mailing back in the late winter/early spring. I'd be surprised if they were ticketing for expiries after they stopped mailing renewal notices since Ontario Courts are closed since last April for anything but serious criminal cases. These incorrect tickets, if issued, would just create even more backlog for when the courts eventually re-open....probably in the spring and they start with stuff from 2019.

They expired in Sept. You can be the guy to sit there at the side of the road and tell the officer he can't ticket you because the courts are closed and they shouldn't be ticketing anyone for expired plates. Let him know of your degree's while you do that, it usually works out even better.

Since the office is open, I waited the 1.5 hours in the cold and just renewed since you eventually have to anyway and my buddy is driving the truck where the sticker expired and I don't want him hassled driving his little kid around in it.

I know what things are "supposed" to be, but life doesn't always work that way out in the real world. To fight the ticket costs two days of work. Once to file to fight it and one to show up and the cop doesn't. It still "costs" me in the end. Been there a few times already. Your call.....I made mine.

CON VERT
01-05-2021, 03:37 PM
When u do it on line they give u a temp to print out , so if u get pulled over u are valid !

92redragtop
01-05-2021, 09:57 PM
They expired in Sept. You can be the guy to sit there at the side of the road and tell the officer he can't ticket you because the courts are closed and they shouldn't be ticketing anyone for expired plates. Let him know of your degree's while you do that, it usually works out even better.

Since the office is open, I waited the 1.5 hours in the cold and just renewed since you eventually have to anyway and my buddy is driving the truck where the sticker expired and I don't want him hassled driving his little kid around in it.

I know what things are "supposed" to be, but life doesn't always work that way out in the real world. To fight the ticket costs two days of work. Once to file to fight it and one to show up and the cop doesn't. It still "costs" me in the end. Been there a few times already. Your call.....I made mine.

Thanks - I'll roll the dice that there are not many rogue cops not following their own employer's rules for publicly announced sticker extensions, and wait until they announce the extensions are ending, and pay at that time. Maybe I can say I was in St. Barts.

JZ67
01-06-2021, 05:18 PM
There's a 90's era foxbody 4 banger around the corner that is still being used as a DD and the latest sticker is from September 2015.

IanGTCS
01-06-2021, 10:03 PM
There's a 90's era foxbody 4 banger around the corner that is still being used as a DD and the latest sticker is from September 2015.

Massively expired stickers, no licence and/or no insurance is far more common than most of us would think.

Gr8Stang
01-07-2021, 04:39 PM
So much for trying to renew online. Kept indicating a problem processing my credit card. Didn't matter whether I used VISA or Mastercard. Tried two different internet browsers as well. Worst part...you have to go thru all the steps ahead of payment....just to find out it fails! UGH!!

Called their 1800# and all the guy on the phone could say is try again...or go to one of their outlets in person, so that's what I ended up doing today. Only one other person in the store when I went.

I asked about the sticker renewal relief due to COVID and whether people with expired stickers would be on the hook for full payment and unsurprisingly....you will have to pay the entire amount.

CON VERT
01-07-2021, 04:49 PM
^^^^ Took my Buck Twenty on M/C in seconds on line !

Gr8Stang
01-07-2021, 05:47 PM
^^^^ Took my Buck Twenty on M/C in seconds on line !

I'm jealous, though in retrospect, it was nice to get out of jail (house) for a short bit. ;) Maybe because I was doing two vehicles...together? Who knows?

Biz
01-07-2021, 09:53 PM
Ordered a sticker online in Oct and it took less than 2 weeks.
But my Dad ordered a sticker in May and it arrived end of August.
Just order it online. Easy Peasey.

MUSTANGWOP
01-08-2021, 09:22 AM
I can't wait to hear all the whining and crying from the people that find out the government will want the money for all the elapsed time of their expired sticker(s) plus their new sticker at the time. Just get your sticker when needed (online or in person) and be done with it.
Do you really think the government is going to say "nah, don't worry about paying us, it's cool"?

ZR
01-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Will be interesting to see how it plays out as you can bet for at least some peeps, did not renew plates because car is parked.

xeninworx
01-09-2021, 09:38 AM
My stickers don’t expire until November. I always do 2 years.

My boss has me working back in the office now. They’ve installed plexiglass everywhere. I’m 4 feet away from the people next to me left and right but plexiglass are in between us. I’d rather work from home than be around people.

True Blue
01-09-2021, 10:39 AM
From an insider source... There has been over 2000 improper tickets issued for exp. plates since March.

ZR
01-09-2021, 03:36 PM
^ Not surprised at all.

Gr8Stang
01-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Will be interesting to see how it plays out as you can bet for at least some peeps, did not renew plates because car is parked.

Based on the feedback I rec'd when I renewed mine in person....it will be "Pay up" or no sticker for you.

bbriann
01-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Ordered up renewal plate stickers, took less than 10 minutes online including rounding up usual required info. Got other life things to worry about...

CON VERT
01-13-2021, 01:41 PM
Ordered on the 04 th arrived on the 13th !