PDA

View Full Version : Well, I lost the battle today!

Mellow Yellow
02-10-2021, 12:16 PM
For the last 12 years I have vaccinated the ash tree on my property. Things went well at first, but the emerald ash borer won.

She came down today.

hammerhead
02-10-2021, 01:12 PM
Gotta a few Mountain Ash in rough shape too but not close to the house - I call one of them the squirrel motel they have hollowed it out with tunnels and fill it with black walnuts - those ones you have got pretty big and tall...

Gabe
02-10-2021, 02:43 PM
shame to have to cut it down

RedSN
02-10-2021, 08:16 PM
Gabe is drooling looking at all that raw material.

redo75
02-10-2021, 08:41 PM
I had same problem, sent $$$ with injections for years.
Found one day the branch holding the swing for our granddaughter just snapped off.
Tree came down quickly before any other damage happened to house or kids.
Tree looked OK on outside, but rotten inside.

Mellow Yellow
02-10-2021, 08:48 PM
I had same problem, sent $$$ with injections for years.
Found one day the branch holding the swing for our granddaughter just snapped off.
Tree came down quickly before any other damage happened to house or kids.
Tree looked OK on outside, but rotten inside.

Tree seemed solid, but just felt insecure. Figured if I knew it was dying and part of it fell on the house or the neighbours house the insurance may try to avoid paying.
The bark seemed to be peeling off.

83 5.0
02-11-2021, 05:44 AM
I had to take 3 ash trees down about 10 years ago.
They grew fast and provided great shade.
The town of Oakville has been trying to save quite a few planted on the Boulevards, but it doesn't seem to be working well, the borer is persistent.
My dad used Ash wood for his axe handles, found it to be the most durable for this.

Uncle Buck
02-11-2021, 10:43 AM
I lost 6 Ash on my lot after spending plenty trying to save them. It sucks to lose them and to spend thousands to cut them down.

I have one left and strangely it seems perfectly healthy. Hope it stays that way.

Mustang4
02-15-2021, 12:41 PM
I had to take mine down as well. Cut it up with a sawzall.
The tree was pretty solid but the ash borers were enjoying it too much.
Mine was a smaller tree, actually, 3 trees growing together. Trunks were about 8" in diameter for the largest, others were about 6" each.

bbriann
02-15-2021, 12:58 PM
My neighbor is going loose fair chunk off his tree is spring...2/3 way over top my pool...the pool was there before the tree was planted...he made sure tree was far away from his pool...it going ba a 1 sided tree when I'm done with it.

Mellow Yellow
02-15-2021, 04:40 PM
Forgot to mention the crane operator is a woman.....she sure could handle that thing. She was very gentle with the controls; no jerky movements. I actually had a client at the house, who has over 30 years of crane experienced and he said because she was easy on the controls she would be great on larger cranes, where precise movements are required.

Actually had to take one piece over my house.