PDA

View Full Version : Shift handle options

m_owing
03-16-2021, 09:13 PM
87-93 fox mustang, T5 with Hurst short throw shifter with stock style knob. I keep my seat close to the wheel and my arms are long, but I still have to reach to get 3rd and 5th. I have the hurst handle, pictured below. I just want it closer to me without getting an insanely long one. I'm not driving an 18 wheeler.

UPR has an "Extreme Adjustable Shift Handle" The description says "three axis bend" and "infinite adjustability" but there isn't much info online about it in practice. From its mounting holes it points backward, and the shaft goes up and down with a slight bend that swivels.

Any other options for handles that are comfortable?
Hurst handle
UPR Extreme Adjustable Handle

RedSN
03-16-2021, 10:55 PM
Not4you had a similar issue on his Saleen. Made up a custom plate that essentially moved the shifter handle back an inch. Picture a square piece of steel plate with 2 pairs of offset holes.

...something like this
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sda-555-7070_w.jpg?rep=False

ZR
03-17-2021, 07:04 AM
I really like aftermarket shifter with stock arm set up.

1BAD92LX
03-17-2021, 09:38 AM
I have this one and like it. Haven't tried any others to compare tho.
Used handle and ball only. Stock leather boot and console plate still fit fine

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/shifters_components_and_accessories/manual_shifters/competition_plus/parts/5380036

bbriann
03-17-2021, 09:59 AM
I have used the hurst handle above and was too heavy when speed shifting at 7000rpm at drag strip. Lighter shift stick and ball lessons chance of missing shift . Less weight allows centring springs best chance to hit 3rd gear. The aluminium steeda handle and un weighted ball works best for me. I have a pile shifter stick and handles on shelf I have tried..

m_owing
03-17-2021, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'll try the stock handle first because I have one.

1BAD92LX, do you find that one is too long?

I think I like the 'Z' shape handles have that bring the knob back but still vertical. But I'm wondering how it would feel to have one that just points back.

A custom plate also seems like a good idea, I'm no fabricator, but if I can find a cheap piece of steel or aluminum I could give it a shot.

bbriann, I'm thinking I might also end up with a pile of them lol The first one I got was like a pro-50 handle, almost straight. Now I've got the Hurst. You have the steeda tri ax handle?

bbriann
03-17-2021, 01:31 PM
Yes steeda tri ax handle with a light weight hurst ball.Hurst 1630014 White 5-Speed Classic Shifter Knob which is 2 1/4 " and weight was 143 grams.
I do carry a spare steeda stick as I broke one (replaced under warranty) when using a pistol handle.

1BAD92LX
03-17-2021, 08:09 PM
Went from stock handle to the hurst, handle length is just right I think.
Handles look pretty similar to me. (Tri ax and mine)

ZR
03-17-2021, 08:45 PM
Cobra is currently sporting one of those handles tweaked / bend to how it feels best to me.

https://images.holley.com/583x/5380036_01.jpg

LX89
03-17-2021, 11:06 PM
I purchased the steel version many years ago to replace an aluminum Tri-Ax handle.
It's similar to a Tri-Ax handle but made of billet steel.
Guy said at the time they were made in Europe.
Quality piece.

https://konaracing.com/

m_owing
03-18-2021, 12:17 PM
Thanks again everyone!
The kona handles look nice.
ZR, how'd you bend it? They look like hard steel.

Any idea where I can get a small piece of steel or aluminum to try and make a custom plate?

MUSTANGWOP
03-18-2021, 12:50 PM
Thanks again everyone!

Any idea where I can get a small piece of steel or aluminum to try and make a custom plate?

Find a local Metals Plus, they should have all kinds of bits and pieces you can pick from.

ZR
03-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Thanks again everyone!

Torch to heat cherry red, bend to shape, test then repeat 17 times until happpy

m_owing
03-18-2021, 04:10 PM
Torch to heat cherry red, bend to shape, test then repeat 17 times until happpy

I was worried you'd say that. I'm no blacksmith.

ZR
03-18-2021, 04:24 PM
By the time I was done, felt like one. Drove Ross nutz how many times I had shifter in and out.

Frankie
03-23-2021, 12:48 PM
I'm over 6ft, was always reaching for third.
I did the plate thing with the stock shifter - helped quite a bit.

Then I went to the UPR handle you posted - night and day difference - get it just perfect.

m_owing
03-23-2021, 01:29 PM
I'm over 6ft, was always reaching for third.
I did the plate thing with the stock shifter - helped quite a bit.

Then I went to the UPR handle you posted - night and day difference - get it just perfect.

Awesome,
Are you still using the plate adapter thing with the UPR handle?
How much is it actually adjustable?
What kind of knob are you using?

Frankie
03-24-2021, 01:14 PM
Plate is not needed with the UPR handle.
Its almost too adjustable, takes a while to get it where you like it.
I had a UPR knob on it as well, looks to be discontinued now - the aluminum ones get pretty hot in the summer.

m_owing
03-24-2021, 04:13 PM
Plate is not needed with the UPR handle.
Its almost too adjustable, takes a while to get it where you like it.
I had a UPR knob on it as well, looks to be discontinued now - the aluminum ones get pretty hot in the summer.

thanks for the answers. I know what you mean about metal shift knobs. I had a hurst T handle years ago on my 4cyl daily mustang. Cooked my hand in the summer and froze it in the winter.
I use a stock style knob, so, whatever I do, I hope I can still have it point upward.

dbovine
03-28-2021, 02:23 PM
I have a triax handle but when I switched to S197 seats I found I felt too far away for daily driving. I found out Steeda sells a plate like REDSN mentioned and ordered theirs. Its been much better