PDA

View Full Version : Home window treatments to keep heat out?

Chinga
03-22-2021, 09:39 AM
Looking to put something on windows that face East. My preference would be to use a perforated material much like they use on commercial properties.

Anyone have any DIY experience with this? Where did you source the materials?

I have looked on Amazon and such but to be honest $54.88 for 2' x 4' sheet is stupidly priced. I have thought about contacting a sign place to see if they will sell me the raw materials.

Thanks.

hammerhead
03-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Looking to put something on windows that face East. My preference would be to use a perforated material much like they use on commercial properties.

I have looked on Amazon and such but to be honest $54.88 for 2' x 4' sheet is stupidly priced. I have thought about contacting a sign place to see if they will sell me the raw materials.

Thanks.

you gotta be careful on amazon now - private sellers are really jacking the prices compared to brick and mortar - my wife put a frosted material on one of the east facing washrooms - looks good and lets is light almost looks sand blasted not sure where she bought it but maybe Michaels

redo75
03-22-2021, 10:12 PM
Thermal window films have come into favor with our new hotter climate, solar heating effect and saving energy requirements.
We have a few companies in London that have various products that reflect the hot rays and let light in while letting you see through them.
Best to get a few quotes from some pros, will pay you in long run with comfort rather than buying some diffusion material from who ever.

Ponyryd
03-22-2021, 11:02 PM
I had my tint guy do my back screen door for that reason. Just do a search in your area, there are residential tint guys around you I’m sure.

90LXCoupe
03-23-2021, 07:06 AM
I second this. I tinted my east facing windows myself with a diy kit from Lowe's

I had my tint guy do my back screen door for that reason. Just do a search in your area, there are residential tint guys around you I’m sure.

StAnger
03-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Thanks.

I wonder if this would work. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gila-basic-heat-shield-automotive-window-tint-0411937p.html#srp

you gotta be careful on amazon now - private sellers are really jacking the prices compared to brick and mortar

Tell me about it, I wanted to buy a silent computer case and found one on Amazon that was $50 more than anywhere else.

redo75
03-23-2021, 08:32 AM
Amazon has always played with prices and quality.
Bought a pair of replacement batteries for a dewalt drill. Battery goes on like butter but can't remove without a screw driver to pry them off?

Chinga
03-25-2021, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will look around for some DIY tint options. Ideally I would like to buy a roll as I have about 120 square feet to do.

bbriann
03-25-2021, 02:36 PM
This thread idea got me thinking...
Im going put some sort heat reflective material on the bay window I stare out all day and have close curtains around noon in summer...being i have been and will continue to be working from home...unless i pull trigger and retire...30 year mark in 1 week. Im not planning my retirement...im just going make quick decision....

Chinga
03-26-2021, 09:17 AM
This thread idea got me thinking...
Im going put some sort heat reflective material on the bay window I stare out all day and have close curtains around noon in summer...being i have been and will continue to be working from home...unless i pull trigger and retire...30 year mark in 1 week. Im not planning my retirement...im just going make quick decision....

Make it happen.