PDA

View Full Version : BJ Auction.

ZR
03-30-2021, 08:52 AM
Lots n lots n lots of incredible rides but....................the prices!!! In years gone by, first day or two saw a good selection of cool rides sub 30k, some even in the high teens, this year precious little below 40ish with previous 90-100k cars headed well north of 200 and some doing the zoom zoom to 300k. Not sure who can afford it but certainly does not include me.
Said years ago, auctions like this, while cool to watch, would surely steal that part of the hobby away from everyday Joes.

hammerhead
03-30-2021, 08:59 AM
It's bizarre to me - I think for the most part its successful marketing and the hype created I think truly inflates the prices (which is the sad part) - suddenly every car regardless of condition is inflated and most would get nowhere near the asking price if taken to the auction...

Mellow Yellow
03-30-2021, 02:01 PM
It's bizarre to me - I think for the most part its successful marketing and the hype created I think truly inflates the prices (which is the sad part) - suddenly every car regardless of condition is inflated and most would get nowhere near the asking price if taken to the auction...

Very similar to todays housing market.

92redragtop
03-30-2021, 04:15 PM
There is a lot of money flying around looking for a place to "park"......look at bubbles everywhere including NFTs.

Das 5.0
03-30-2021, 05:05 PM
I’ve always said that this auction is staged as how many cars can there be for sale out there for one, and two where is all this money coming from ? Yes Rick agree the first few days an average car guy looking for a new ride could actually afford one .... then it gets out of hand.

xeninworx
03-30-2021, 06:09 PM
Wait...this thread isn’t about blowjob auctions?

R3troGT
03-30-2021, 08:21 PM
Wait...this thread isn’t about blowjob auctions?

Very misleading indeed lol

cudaboy
03-30-2021, 08:27 PM
Worst possible thing to occur with respect to the car hobby. Hurts all of us in the long term.

FABMAN
04-01-2021, 07:29 AM
I honestly believe that this is a very short term bubble. For years now many of the big dollar collectors have been pairing down their collections as younger buyers are fewer and farther than ever.

Between reduced interest in the hobby, EPA stupidity going after the aftermarket in anyway they can and the 1% of the richest in the world ramming EVs down everyone’s throats (under the false claims of helping the environment) classic car pricing is set to tank in a big way.

You have already seen prewar cars values drop significantly as boomers mainly want 60s to early 70s muscle cars/restomods. Younger gen x and millennials are moving more to JDM cars and modern muscle so it’s only a matter of time till the 60s era cars follow prewar cars...

hammerhead
04-01-2021, 07:59 AM
I honestly believe that this is a very short term bubble. For years now many of the big dollar collectors have been pairing down their collections as younger buyers are fewer and farther than ever.

Between reduced interest in the hobby, EPA stupidity going after the aftermarket in anyway they can and the 1% of the richest in the world ramming EVs down everyone’s throats (under the false claims of helping the environment) classic car pricing is set to tank in a big way.

You have already seen prewar cars values drop significantly as boomers mainly want 60s to early 70s muscle cars/restomods. Younger gen x and millennials are moving more to JDM cars and modern muscle so it’s only a matter of time till the 60s era cars follow prewar cars...

This is a very interesting point and something maybe most of us have wondered - especially the part about the aftermarket which few may be aware. The one positive about reducing the aftermarket may increase the demand for the custom market - when we where young back in the 70's and eighties there really wasn't much of an aftermarket (I won't delve into all the details but basically it was just go fast parts) but since then the knowledge and availability of good equipment for home garage's has surely made the custom market increase and allowed many to increase their skills - when I see what backyard mechanics do now compared to the 70's and 80's it is quite amazing - when the aftermarket (or if the aftermarket) is dismantled it will open doors in many ways for the creative to keep the hobby alive. I think the hobby has longevity fundamentally the car will be a car with a different power source...but there will be an adjustment period - but I think that adjustment period will effect more than just the auto...it's a good point and something I always ponder.

Zippy
04-01-2021, 06:34 PM
I agree with what is said above. I'm not sure the younger generation cares about a bone stock 1kmiles original 70 Nova or a completely restored bone stock car.
I think the restomod cars and obviously the supercars will just keep going up and up in value.

hammerhead
04-01-2021, 11:00 PM
I remember watching BJ when I get as young - it was in January when the father owned it or ran it - it was all pre war cars commanding all the attention and when I was a pre-teen I loved all those pre war cars - my favourites where the Art Deco years - The Cord and the 1933 Mercedes where my two favourites - the styling - the grills - the gleaming side pipes coming from the engine bays and exiting the the body and creeping under the car - the expose spare tire on the fender and in some cases the rumble seat. In my teens I was obsessed with the tri 5’s and the show box fords and it wasn’t until my 20’s when my fascination with speed and muscle cars grew with a brief admiration with the super cars - Porsche - lambo - Ferrari - none of which I could afford but I did toy with the idea of a 308 Ferrari it was insurance that steered me away. In the 80’s my fascination tilted to handling and chassis - which is hard to believe for many but was a huge improvement on American cars from the 70’s. Ross you echo my past. I think nostalgia- performance and handling with respect to the environmental concerns will be adapted to future classics - I see huge adjustments for racing - something I’ve also been passionate about. The world is changing rapidly in the last 10 years but I think nostalgia - modern engineering - creative thinking - 3D printing - backyard fabrication - learning and sharing online - creative thinking will keep the hobby alive...

Edit: and race tracks being available to all!

FABMAN
04-02-2021, 10:54 AM
I agree with what is said above. I'm not sure the younger generation cares about a bone stock 1kmiles original 70 Nova or a completely restored bone stock car.
I think the restomod cars and obviously the supercars will just keep going up and up in value.

Even the restomod craze is also in a bubble but in a different way. When you restomod a classic it updates it and makes it better for the time it was done...but the way tech keeps evolving restomod builds become super dated quick. I.e. look back at overhauling builds from just 10 years ago...all that billet, stupid chrome wheels and 2-tone paint schemes are not that desirable today...

Restomodding an old Chevy and putting in an ls1 with a 4-speed auto is definitely an upgrade but 330hp and 4-speed auto is sort of laughable in today’s 400-800+ HP modern era with 8,9 and 10 speed transmissions in today’s power cars.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the skills involved in fabrication but just saying things keep moving fast and values of those builds that are even 5 years old drop like stones unless they get “refreshed” and that is a big $ situation...