PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Top Replacement

Uncle Buck
04-01-2021, 09:53 AM
My 66 needs to have the vinyl top replaced due to some rust that is starting. A dozen or so bumps can be felt in one area of the roof. I don't want to leave too much longer.

It's quite a job. Lots of fragile stainless trim to remove and both front and rear windows need to come out. It needs to be done by a shop that knows old cars.

Some options out there

Legendary Motorcar - Halton
Radical Rides and Restoration - Barrie
Fawcett Motorcar Carriage Company - Whitby

I also have a contact through a friend that restores Cougars. He's does upholstery and vinyl tops but not body work so if any metal work would be needed, he'd need to sub it out.

Any suggestions?

FABMAN
04-04-2021, 07:16 AM
Perhaps this is your opportunity to remove the vinyl top altogether and prevent further damage from moisture getting trapped under it? Then you only need to deal with a trusted body shop for the fix.

ZR
04-04-2021, 07:23 AM
It's my understanding bulk of the vinyl top rust issues are caused by it being installed over bare metal or poorly done primer.
As for where to repair, old time body shop would be well versed in how to deal with stripping, repair and preparing surface for a proper install.

Uncle Buck
04-04-2021, 07:57 AM
Perhaps this is your opportunity to remove the vinyl top altogether and prevent further damage from moisture getting trapped under it? Then you only need to deal with a trusted body shop for the fix.

Permenant removal is an option but I've grown attached to the look of it. I think ZR is correct that future rust can be prevented with proper prep and modern materials.

The current one lasted 25 years so I can't complain.

Vinyl tops are not for everyone but I think they are classy and really suit this era of coupes.

Uncle Buck
04-04-2021, 08:02 AM
Sadly these bumps require destroying a perfect condition top, pulling the front and rear glass, all the stainless, rain guard trim and possibly a headliner. So sad...

ZR
04-04-2021, 08:14 AM
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23633

ZR
04-04-2021, 08:16 AM
Drip rail n window trim is the tricky part.

FABMAN
04-04-2021, 02:18 PM
If the end goal is to replace with another vinyl top then perhaps it is worth the trip to Bradford and visit a restoration house like the guild. They have dealt with these repairs for decades but I would imagine they will be on the pricier side.

https://www.guildclassiccars.com/

ZR
04-04-2021, 02:57 PM
The Guild, ummmm, hard no (yes inside info).

hammerhead
04-05-2021, 08:33 AM
The Guild, ummmm, hard no (yes inside info).

I fully agree with Rick on this...stay away!!!

Uncle Buck
04-05-2021, 12:48 PM
Well I've decided to go with John the uphostery guy recommended through an old high school friend. He's had several roofs done by him when restoring cougars and been happy with the work.

The uphostery guy recommended a body shop that coincidently I've dealt with before and was satisfied. It will be added hassle for me since I will play middle man between them and will need to flatbed the car between shops a couple of times. At least I'll be able to see the car in various stages to make sure I'm happy.

No surprise both guys are busy so looking like it might need to be a late summer or fall project.

hammerhead
04-05-2021, 01:39 PM
Well I've decided to go with John the uphostery guy recommended through an old high school friend. He's had several roofs done by him when restoring cougars and been happy with the work.

The uphostery guy recommended a body shop that coincidently I've dealt with before and was satisfied. It will be added hassle for me since I will play middle man between them and will need to flatbed the car between shops a couple of times. At least I'll be able to see the car in various stages to make sure I'm happy.

No surprise both guys are busy so looking like it might need to be a late summer or fall project.

that's awesome Al! I too like the vinyl roofs of yore....

Armen
04-05-2021, 03:24 PM
https://www.boothillauto.ca/

Uncle Buck
04-05-2021, 07:53 PM
https://www.boothillauto.ca/

Cool looking place.

I go through Erin when I pick up my daughter from university. Maybe I'll pop in.

Uncle Buck
04-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know Bear Bett?

Opened a good looking hod rod shop a couple of years ago.

He connected via FB.