PDA

View Full Version : Is there a secure way to pay for a far-away car being shipped?

Ponyryd
05-09-2021, 09:22 PM
I’m looking for a kinda rare car and have found one in another province. With the lockdown bullshit and “mandatory quarantine” I won’t be able to fly out and make a deal, and the guy doesn’t want to send the car without being paid in full. It’s a private sale and I don’t know him at all, he has also been less than truthful about something on the car, so of course, I don’t trust him a whole lot.
He’s wanting e-transfer and says he’s done it before and this is how people import cars from other countries all the time......

Zutz2v
05-09-2021, 09:34 PM
I’m looking for a kinda rare car and have found one in another province. With the lockdown bullshit and “mandatory quarantine” I won’t be able to fly out and make a deal, and the guy doesn’t want to send the car without being paid in full. It’s a private sale and I don’t know him at all, he has also been less than truthful about something on the car, so of course, I don’t trust him a whole lot.
He’s wanting e-transfer and says he’s done it before and this is how people import cars from other countries all the time......

Smells like bullshit man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Fart
05-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Usually not a good idea to etransfer without having product. Seen some people do the etransfer but hold the password until merchandise received. This does not help if the seller has direct deposit (no password needed). Isn't there a limit to funds available for etransfers? $3000/day?

Zutz2v
05-09-2021, 09:48 PM
I think you should call your bank. Perhaps hire a lawyer to hold funds in trust until product confirmed.

Zippy
05-09-2021, 10:03 PM
I think that's the risk you have to take when buying a car out of province.

Zippy
05-09-2021, 10:07 PM
In fairness, this has happened quite a few times this past year with trying to sell stuff to people far away.
Some people's thought process is, "I'm not sending you a dime till I have the product in hand and can inspect it"
Others are... "I'll send you half, you ship, it arrives, I send you other half"
Other others "I'll send you full payment, you ship."

It's the 'game' you play buying and selling stuff.

I personally will only ship something once it's paid in full.
There is no way in hell am I shipping something to someone and hoping they pay me afterwards.

ZR
05-09-2021, 10:13 PM
Last fall, found car of cars / one I wanted so bad it hurt...................could not bring myself to forward money without seeing, touching n feeling it for myself. I know lots of people that have and had no problems, just can't do it myself.

Ponyryd
05-09-2021, 10:15 PM
I’m fine with sending a deposit, but no way will I pay in full before it gets on the truck.
Funny though, I ask why would I pay without having the car? He replies “it’s called trust”, lol, I replied well he doesn’t trust me enough to send the car, so that argument is bullshit.

ZR
05-09-2021, 10:18 PM
Can see sellers point as well as yours.

Zippy
05-09-2021, 11:50 PM
I’m fine with sending a deposit, but no way will I pay in full before it gets on the truck.
Funny though, I ask why would I pay without having the car? He replies “it’s called trust”, lol, I replied well he doesn’t trust me enough to send the car, so that argument is bullshit.

I think there is a certain point where you just have to take a leap of faith or just don't bother though.
There is no chance a seller puts a vehicle on a trailer without having payment.

Ponyryd
05-10-2021, 12:05 AM
I think there is a certain point where you just have to take a leap of faith or just don't bother though.
There is no chance a seller puts a vehicle on a trailer without having payment.

That depends who it is, and what they’re hiding. Like I said I am willing to pay a deposit, which would cover shipping, so if the car isn’t as described, it’s on my dime.
Anytime I sell anything I try to describe it perfectly, if not a bit worse than it is, I’d rather have people happy that it’s nicer than they thought. He has already misrepresented the car once, even after being asked very specific questions.
I get what you’re saying though

WidowrRacing
05-10-2021, 12:21 AM
I definitely wouldn’t be taking that risk....but I also don’t trust many people.

Zutz2v
05-10-2021, 06:10 AM
That depends who it is, and what they’re hiding. Like I said I am willing to pay a deposit, which would cover shipping, so if the car isn’t as described, it’s on my dime.
Anytime I sell anything I try to describe it perfectly, if not a bit worse than it is, I’d rather have people happy that it’s nicer than they thought. He has already misrepresented the car once, even after being asked very specific questions.
I get what you’re saying though

This tells you everything you need to know right there. The seller isn’t honest. So even if you get what you want are you prepared to receive a lemon ??

Scrape
05-10-2021, 07:17 AM
That is definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am heisitant just thinking about it.

fast Ed
05-10-2021, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately we don't have escrow services in Canada other than for real estate which is done through banks. That would be the only safe way really. Do you have any family or friends who live in the area where the car is? I did that recently with a car I bought in Alberta, lucky enough to have a good friend who could put eyes on the car for me and do a Facetime call so I could look at everything I wanted to on it before making a deal.

In the end I'd say if your gut is telling you no, then go with that.

cheers
Ed

Uncle Buck
05-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Perhaps there is a private automotive broker in the other province you could hire to act on your behalf. It will cost you a bit but well worth it.

Personally I could never buy remote like this.

The closest I came was sending a small deposit to hold the car until I arrived to see it. We agreed on the price before I got there with the understanding I could walk if the car was not as described. He would keep my deposit but it was only a few hundred. I bought the car and paid the balance in person. I had a good feeling about the seller so didn't have much concern.

Maybe you could roll the dice with a deposit and see if the guy would hold the car a few months until you can get there to pay the balance.

Laffs
05-10-2021, 09:13 AM
Can you have a PPI inspection done at a 3rd party shop to at least verify the existence and condition of the car as well as ownership status? Assuming that all checks out my next move would be to tell him he will paid by certified cheque or bank draft delivered by the transport company at the time they come to pick the car up. If he doesn't hand over the keys/title and car to shipper no cheque handed over and you void the draft.

Ponyryd
05-10-2021, 09:19 AM
^That was my thinking as well, pay the shipper, a COD deal. He says it’s not getting on the trailer until paid in full, it’s also a super-low car, so there may be shipping damage as well. Too many questions at this point, I told him last night to move on to the next guy.

Laffs
05-10-2021, 09:28 AM
My buddy Jay just had a Viper shipped from Alberta, I guess the shipper he used was great if you need a reco.

Chinga
05-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Can you have a PPI inspection done at a 3rd party shop to at least verify the existence and condition of the car as well as ownership status? Assuming that all checks out my next move would be to tell him he will paid by certified cheque or bank draft delivered by the transport company at the time they come to pick the car up. If he doesn't hand over the keys/title and car to shipper no cheque handed over and you void the draft.

^^^This. Another member here has done a number of U.S vehicle transactions in the past. He contacted a dealer that was local to the seller and asked if they would be interested in making some money by inspecting and brokering the deal. He then arranged for the seller to bring the car to the dealer where it was inspected and all other information verified. Once all parties were comfortable the money and title exchanged hands. Car was then picked up by the auto carrier and delivered here.

A bit of time spent on the phone but in the end all worked out well.

Jeff Esliger
05-10-2021, 05:24 PM
Wtf are you buying now Richard.lol

Ponyryd
05-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Wtf are you buying now Richard.lol

Lol, probably nothing....but you wanna make some cash getting a car here from Manitoba?

ZR
05-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Only Manitoba??
U Haul road trip.

Ponyryd
05-10-2021, 08:08 PM
That’s a serious road trip, gotta work...like I said t home, but supposed to quarantine due to bullshit.

Jeff Esliger
05-11-2021, 05:43 PM
Road trip.we did 14 hours to get my cobra from Sudbury.there's nothing we can't do.lm off 4 days at the end of the month.lol

Zutz2v
05-11-2021, 06:06 PM
I willing to donate 10$ to go fund your trip campaign lmao

Ponyryd
05-11-2021, 11:45 PM
Road trip.we did 14 hours to get my cobra from Sudbury.there's nothing we can't do.lm off 4 days at the end of the month.lol

Lol, not wanting to that again, was a good trip and great scenery though.

The seller said he could ship it for $1200 I think, so if you wanna go get it I’ll be down to pay $1500 if the car arrives here safely, lol.

Jeff Esliger
05-12-2021, 01:03 PM
Ya l can help you out.just let me know when

Hutch
05-12-2021, 07:04 PM
I bought my current Shelby out of Edmonton area. I got the seller send lots of pics and then send 2 4K videos detailing the entire car. This was private sale and it wasn’t listed anywhere for sale either. I etransfered a deposit after I felt comfortable with all the pics and videos. Arranged shipping. I had a local bank to him have a certified cheque ready that he had to show Id for. Now this is where I got lucky. I friend of mine ended up having family 15min away. They met the seller at the bank. Got ownership and he got the cheque. Then he drove it to her house and the car got picked up a few days later.
What you could do is send out a private appraiser to check the car out to see if it’s all good. Sometimes you have to trust people or don’t.
I bought my first Saleen, out of Washington state, after only seeing 5 pictures. Sent out American funds and then waited for a couple weeks. I could barely sleep the entire time. Absolutely nothing to show for my money being gone except a photocopy of the title. Go with your gut. If it’s saying no after talking to the guy then don’t do it