PDA

View Full Version : Progress after my accident

Quicksilver
05-18-2021, 10:18 AM
Well, here I am, 9 weeks after my surgery. Still not allowed to drive. (They tell me another 3-4 weeks). But I'm making progress.
Today I'm updating things since my accident on March 9.
As you may recall, I fell through the open joists in my en suite bathroom while renovating it. I cracked the femur right at the top (worst place possible) on my right leg. The hospital had to keep me under observation from that day(Tuesday) until Friday because my sugar levels(I'm diabetic) and my blood pressure was too high. I guess they wanted to be reasonably sure I'd survive the surgery.
Well, I did just that.
The worst part was of course the food. 4 times they served a curry dish, and 4 times I refused it. Even after speaking with the kitchen the first time, they kept sending it. On the Tuesday, Rhonda brought me a Harvey's burger even though she had to leave it at the front desk because of the COVID protocols. The next day, she somehow got permission to come visit me in the afternoon, and brought me more treats..
the second worst part was the indignity of having a nurse wipe my behind after a toilet run. I have said to my wife many times that if my health ever deteriorates to the point where I can't wipe my own ass, just shoot me. Nobody did, though.
I was kept in the hospital until the following Thursday, when I was allowed to go home. Hallelujah. I wasn't in any pain, really, but I was bored silly, my mind was a bit foggy from the meds, so I couldn't concentrate enough to read for long or to watch TV, and I could not really move around. I couldn't get comfortable in the hospital bed, I couldn't roll on my side, and I was getting progressively clammier from the lack of showering. I did get a sponge bath, but it was not satisfying at all. My hair itched, and much of my skin. I was basically on my back for 5 days except when they dragged me(painfully) out for x rays and such.
I needed help to get to the toilet and help to get to the rehab centre and even sometimes to turn on the tv, if it swung out of my reach. I felt hopeless, although I did cry out "faster, faster!! to the orderly who pushed my wheelchair
My wife brought me home in her car, which I had great difficulty getting into and out of. (I can only imagine getting into my Jag, if and when I'm allowed to drive again) .Only with the help of my sons Noah and Adam, along with our driver Stephen, and another good friend Mario, was I able to get to the house and up the 5 stairs to the front room. That, to be honest, was the most terrifying part of the whole accident, because I was deathly afraid of falling over and re-injuring myself.
My home since then has been my electric recliner in the family room. I was completely unable to get into my bed, and the chair is more comfortable anyway. Unfortunately, the family room is between the kitchen(where we have temporarily set up my office) and bedroom, and of course the regular foot traffic of my sons, grandchildren and wife, along with my carpenter Derek, (who was finishing my bathroom) who happen to pass by my chair 50 times a day. At that point I could not go to the bathroom to pee, so every time I need to use my pee jar, Rhonda had to tell everyone to stay out of the room for a few minutes. Talk about lack of dignity.
Anyway, those first few days, my leg was useless. I could do nothing for myself. Couldn't get a snack, or make breakfast, of cook my lunch, or put on my underwear by myself. I couldn't move my leg, or lift it, or even turn my foot side to side.
Every day, though, things are getting better, if only in tiny increments. From one day to the next you don't really notice it, but today I can make my own meals, go to the bathroom all by myself, get dressed (I still can't put on my right sock, so Adam has become the official sock installer), and yesterday I was finally able to cut the toenail on my big toe. (I still can't quite reach the other 4 toes)
The last few days I've started walking with a cane. Slowly, (and at first very very shakily) but I am doing it. Yesterday I made it up and down the front stairs with the cane, and no help, and even ventured out into the driveway for a bit.
My leg is much more movable, and I can control it better. In fact, the last 3 or 4 days I haven't touched my walker. I'm getting stronger and steadier with the cane.
I can even stand up straight without any support for as much as 5 minutes.
I saw the surgeon (Dr. Gamble) last week and he told me that I'm progressing very well, and to use the leg as much as I can tolerate, and that I can drive when I feel ready. I'm not stupid though. I think it will be early June before i can drive again.
So the upshot of all this is that i am getting better, and I can look forward to enjoying summer once June rolls around.I've learned that even the tiniest actions and things you do should not be taken for granted.
Thanks for "listening" and I hope you weren't too bored.

MUSTANGWOP
05-18-2021, 10:30 AM
Great to hear your progress Steve, keep forging ahead.

Jack Raccoon!
05-18-2021, 12:11 PM
Steve, I was truly sorry to hear of your accident. You can't wish that on anyone. Glad you are finally on the upside of your recovery...

But really?! You lead with a food review?! OMG you make this too easy lol...

ZR
05-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Good to hear progress is positive.

Scrape
05-18-2021, 03:55 PM
Glad to hear you are recovering from that. Not a good feeling when you can’t wipe your own butt.

Uncle Buck
05-18-2021, 04:19 PM
The older we get the harder we fall. Good to hear you are on the mend

Mustang4
05-18-2021, 05:52 PM
It's really tough when you can't look after yourself, and at that point you take pride in each little accomplishment that you previously took for granted.
Glad to hear you are on the mend and starting to feel more normal.

92redragtop
05-18-2021, 06:07 PM
Glad to hear you are recovering from that. Not a good feeling when you can’t wipe your own butt.

And...they feed you curry multiple days in a row. Someone at SL was playing games.

92redragtop
05-18-2021, 06:09 PM
Quite the ordeal Steve - glad to hear you're on the mend and can at least salvage the summer. I guess the contracting will be a little slow over the next while?

Quicksilver
05-18-2021, 07:31 PM
Quite the ordeal Steve - glad to hear you're on the mend and can at least salvage the summer. I guess the contracting will be a little slow over the next while?

Busier than ever