PDA

View Full Version : MICHELIN® Uptis

Old Fart
05-21-2021, 10:19 AM
First time I see them offered to the public.

https://michelinmedia.com/michelin-uptis/

https://i.postimg.cc/pTNt9Z7R/5-20-21trivia.jpg

xeninworx
05-21-2021, 12:06 PM
So what happens with cars that have TPMS? look at the warning light all the time?

newbiestangowner
05-21-2021, 01:03 PM
So what happens with cars that have TPMS? look at the warning light all the time?

Yup lol - I’m used to it now since 2018 , even the good Dr noticed it
“ you have warning “
“ umm ya ya”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xeninworx
05-21-2021, 01:48 PM
Yup lol - I’m used to it now since 2018 , even the good Dr noticed it
“ you have warning “
“ umm ya ya”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can turn it off with FORSCAN I believe.

Old Fart
05-21-2021, 02:02 PM

I imagine that if new cars have the airless tire...they won't have TPMS. But for existing vehicles, I guess you're correct with the light.

Ponyryd
05-21-2021, 02:44 PM
Most cars go into “winter mode” when the car realizes it has NO sensors....light comes on on startup but goes off quickly.
Cool thought, but man do they look stupid.

xeninworx
05-21-2021, 03:41 PM
Most cars go into “winter mode” when the car realizes it has NO sensors....light comes on on startup but goes off quickly.
Cool thought, but man do they look stupid.

Never heard of that. My Mustang which has direct TPMS will always be on and same with my wife’s Accord which has indirect TPMS.

newbiestangowner
05-21-2021, 04:35 PM
^^ yup me too , always on^^

Ponyryd
05-21-2021, 07:25 PM
Never heard of that. My Mustang which has direct TPMS will always be on and same with my wife’s Accord which has indirect TPMS.

What is indirect vs direct?
I’m most familiar with newer FCA cars, that’s how they do it...I have seen it in others as well, but only on newer cars

Stephen06GT
05-21-2021, 07:38 PM
Do they come in a 200 tread wear version?;)

xeninworx
05-21-2021, 08:07 PM
What is indirect vs direct?
I’m most familiar with newer FCA cars, that’s how they do it...I have seen it in others as well, but only on newer cars

Direct means TPMS sensors are in the wheels. Like the Mustang. You’ll always know when you have a pressure difference.
Indirect means no TPMS sensors in wheels. Like my 2016 Accord. Pressure is calculated by rotation of the wheels from the hub sensors. You’ll only know when you have a pressure difference when the wheels are moving and not in park.

Ponyryd
05-23-2021, 12:12 AM
Direct means TPMS sensors are in the wheels. Like the Mustang. You’ll always know when you have a pressure difference.
Indirect means no TPMS sensors in wheels. Like my 2016 Accord. Pressure is calculated by rotation of the wheels from the hub sensors. You’ll only know when you have a pressure difference when the wheels are moving and not in park.

Ok that’s what I thought, in which case, your first post is very confusing since if there are no sensors, your light should never be on as long as your tires are full/same sizes...

xeninworx
05-23-2021, 01:11 AM
I was thinking for the cars with direct TPMS. Wouldn’t matter for indirect. I guess those with direct would have to get the dealership to turn off the TPMS light, if that’s even possible.

bluetoy
05-23-2021, 08:04 AM
Dealer ships are probably not allowed to turn off TPMS. You can use Forscan (free program) to turn off your TPMS. I do it every winter on my pick up and its always turned off on my mustang. I don't see the need for a tire like that. Flats are not an epidemic. I have 4 cars here and not one of them has ever had the spare out of it, plus those things look stupid.

RedSN
05-23-2021, 08:25 PM
That, and wondering how they handle slush/snow? Would snow get in the “spokes”?

Stephen06GT
05-23-2021, 09:07 PM

and then it freezes while the vehicle is parked. That would have to affect the balance and ride.

Old Fart
05-23-2021, 10:11 PM

and then it freezes while the vehicle is parked. That would have to affect the balance and ride.

The website's FAQ briefly mentions snow and ice...

21. What will happen if some small stones or mud or snow get in between the structure of Uptis?

The objective during the development of the commercial product is to test Uptis in all of these
situations. Some preliminary tests show that stones, mud or ice/snow will not stay inside the Uptis
structure.

They also have a video of the Uptis in winter time. The snow and ice does not seem to get stuck in the wheels but I agree with you that it probably will be a problem.

https://michelinmedia.com/site/user/files/44/MNA342_Uptis_Snow_Clip-proxy_2.mp4