PDA

View Full Version : Ford Extended Warranty ?

CON VERT
06-06-2021, 03:40 PM
Just a general question to those that bought new cars , at the time of purchase did you go for the extended warranty for the 3rd thru the 5th years & for those that did have any of you used it in that later period ?? I know u can buy it right up until you 3 years is up , just trying to figure out if its worth the $2400 now or ??? in 3 years form now if I keep it ! it is fully transferable to the new owner if need also ??

1BAD92LX
06-06-2021, 06:47 PM
In my experience working on other people cars most times the warranty more than pays for itself.
I’ll be putting a 8 year/200k extended warranty on my wife’s new Acura. We plan on having it forever.

CDNfyrfytr
06-06-2021, 07:02 PM
When I bought my 2013 F150, I bought the extended warranty. My AC went after the regular warranty expired. The repairs would have cost me almost $3000 for parts and labour as they had to take the entire dash and console out, 2 days. I paid the $100 deductible. I will always get the extended warranty from now on. As previously said they usually pay for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snaketamer
06-06-2021, 07:25 PM
Took a 7yr/80000k warranty on my '14 Lariat. It covered broken front coil spring, fan belt tensioner and replacement of rear window slider unit as the defroster took a dump. It payed for its self. Would buy again just for the complexity in these new vehicles.

RedSN
06-06-2021, 08:43 PM
Got an extended warranty for my Frontier. Zero problems until a month before expiry. Starter started acting up. Went in asked is covered under the warranty, they asked if the starter was still working. Yeah, but, had a couple no-start episodes, would rather replace before it left me stranded. Sorry, nothing we can do for you.

Replaced the f*ing starter myself. Has worked great ever since. Five years and only problems with the truck so far have been the starter, and one blown shock.

I would not get an extended ever again. Sounds like Ford extended warranties are worth it though :spitcoffee:

ZR
06-06-2021, 09:04 PM
Ram has been rock solid, only thing out of the ordinary just happened, LED partially failed in one tail light. At a hair over $200 to replace myself, I'm good.

fast Ed
06-06-2021, 09:59 PM
The Ford warranties are transferable, just have to pay the cost of the deductible to do so. As others have said, one or two major repairs can easily make the cost of the warranty worth it.

Stephen06GT
06-06-2021, 10:26 PM
The Ford warranties are transferable, just have to pay the cost of the deductible to do so. As others have said, one or two major repairs can easily make the cost of the warranty worth it.

Does the warranty have to be purchased from the dealership you purchased the vehicle from or can it be purchased at any Ford dealership? Also, is there one cost from Ford or can it be negotiated at the dealership?

1BAD92LX
06-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Extended warranty will have a fixed price based on length.
I can purchase extended warranty on my Acura through my Honda dealership.
I assume Ford would be the same?

RedSN
06-06-2021, 11:32 PM
Can we at least stop calling it “warranty”?
It’s a maintenance insurance policy.

There was a really good Planet Money podcast on ‘fake’ extended warranties.
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/983109732/about-your-extended-warranty

FABMAN
06-07-2021, 06:56 AM
Personally I think buying a warranty is like prepaying for a major repair that may or may not happen.

Manufacturers offer these warranty packages at these price points as their accountants have figured out failure run rates. This is how they calculate the price of the offerings as well as how long they will offer it for. If was not deemed to be highly profitable then it wouldn’t be offered.

They calculate the majority will not leverage the warranty during that time period making it a cash cow for them.

That said, you are still covered under the regular power train warranty for 5 years so it all depends on your comfort with risk.

fast Ed
06-07-2021, 07:23 AM
Does the warranty have to be purchased from the dealership you purchased the vehicle from or can it be purchased at any Ford dealership? Also, is there one cost from Ford or can it be negotiated at the dealership?

Any dealer can sell it, and yes there is room for negotiation on the price. As Don said, it's an insurance policy really.

allicedout
06-07-2021, 03:19 PM
I bought the 5 year - 160,000km warranty on my 2011 Toyota Sienna when it was new. Never used it once.....

Old Fart
06-07-2021, 03:26 PM
^^^Wife did the same thing on her 2018 Rav4. I doubt that she will use it. But it provides her with piece of mind. When we bought our son his 2010 Venza, we purchased an aftermarket warranty (but through Toyota dealer) and it paid for itself.

Dilbert
06-21-2021, 11:51 AM
Anyone familiar with an outfit called Tricare? I’ve been offered it or Ford’s own. They have zero deductible (at the selling dealer) versus $100.00 at any Ford dealer.

CON VERT
06-22-2021, 09:01 AM
Never heard of it, but I'd be more inclined to go with FORD , always a chance the others could go out of business ect , IMHO

Dilbert
06-22-2021, 11:32 AM
^Yes, I’ve since gone the Ford route. Nothing but negative comments online about Tricare. Feels good to be covered until 2027. Especially with a crunchy Getrag six speed transmission!

fast Ed
06-22-2021, 03:44 PM
Peace of mind especially if you're travelling with the car too ... any Ford dealer across North America will honour their warranty, any aftermarket warranty will be hit and miss, especially in the USA.