PDA

View Full Version : Wrenchin’ Wednesday: Modified dipsticks that are quicker and easier to read

Old Fart
06-09-2021, 10:50 AM
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesdays-modified-dip-sticks-that-are-quicker-and-easier-to-read/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Thursday_DailyDriver

https://i.postimg.cc/vTByzw5n/IMG-0864-2048x1536.jpg

ZR
06-09-2021, 12:14 PM
Site holes many times results in stick breaking off. Like the rough it up idea, so many sticks are a biotch to see correct level.

Laffs
06-09-2021, 01:56 PM
Instructions unclear, drilled hole in oil pan, confirmed there was oil in pan.

Quicksilver
06-09-2021, 02:59 PM
My car doesn't have a dipstick. Apparently there is a sensor that will tell me when I'm low.

bluetoy
06-09-2021, 04:50 PM
Site holes many times results in stick breaking off. Like the rough it up idea, so many sticks are a biotch to see correct level.

Leave the oil in until its black. much easier to read dipstick.

ZR
06-09-2021, 05:50 PM
My car doesn't have a dipstick. Apparently there is a sensor that will tell me when I'm low.

Hmmmmm, for the price of a Jag, thought they'd include a dip stick.

FABMAN
06-10-2021, 08:01 AM
BMW is the same deal, no dip stick. You have to have faith in the computer…it’s unnerving so I just religiously change full synthetic oil and filter every 5000-8000km (or 6-months whichever is first). Also went to a heavier weight oil.

Laffs
06-10-2021, 09:32 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3lF5UkJHY&ab_channel=JaguarParsippany

redo75
06-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Let me understand this - if I want to check my oil level, because say I may feel the oil level could be dangerous low after a long highway rip. I will run the engine for 10 ~ 15minutes or so?
OK.
Nice selling feature not getting your fingers dirty.
What happened to opening the engine hood, lifting out the little sticky, wiping and checking it, hot or cold and seeing a small engine repair or running the engine say 10 ~ 15 minutes so I can have a whooping huge cost of engine replacement??
Looks like I need to upgrade my brain with this new technology.

ZR
06-10-2021, 05:35 PM
^ Even worse, older Bimmers are oil leakers, talk about unnerving never knowing for sure if there is oil or not...............ridiculous.

m_owing
06-15-2021, 11:08 AM
so many sticks are a biotch to see correct level.

I thought I was the only one who can never read the level. I literally lay awake at night worrying if I have too much oil in my pan. I broke my stock tube and went to a totally different design, it has the rough crosshatch pattern to help read the level. I still have no idea.

Leave the oil in until its black. much easier to read dipstick.

Pretty much exactly right.

Minaccia
06-15-2021, 11:24 AM
I painted the bottom part of the dipstick with BBQ black paint, much easier to read now but the paint slowly gets wiped off every time I check my oil. Can't win.