PDA

View Full Version : The Taurus SHO is the fastest, most expensive Ford sedan

Old Fart
07-03-2021, 11:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VTRhCC3gZI

fast Ed
07-03-2021, 03:59 PM
This was a good video to watch. I forgot how much Ford had spent on the original Taurus development, huge $$. If it hadn't worked out they would have been fookered. Loving the 92 SHO I got from out west recently, fun car that just looks like a mild-mannered 90s family sedan.

Gr8Stang
07-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Had so much fun in mine, especially with so many unsuspecting "sports car" owners that had no clue what it had under its Taurus skin...until you blew by them. ;)

Scrape
07-05-2021, 08:14 AM
My buddy a 1992 Taurus SHO done in white. That car was quick.

Stephen06GT
07-05-2021, 08:23 AM
This was a good video to watch. I forgot how much Ford had spent on the original Taurus development, huge $$. If it hadn't worked out they would have been fookered. Loving the 92 SHO I got from out west recently, fun car that just looks like a mild-mannered 90s family sedan.

Any pics to share of your SHO?

fast Ed
07-05-2021, 09:01 AM
Mine looks like the one in the pic that Laurence posted, but without the awful pinstripe. 92 was the first year for the new body style, and also the last year for the colour-keyed wheels on a white car. I've got to give the car a good cleaning yet and then take some proper photos of it to post up.

hammerhead
07-06-2021, 07:56 AM
By the time 1986 rolled around my grand parents 12 kids had all grown up and moved on for the most part - my mom was the oldest and pregnant with me at the same time her mother was pregnant with her last...lol making me the oldest of a long line of grand children and I ultimately produced their first great grand child...lol...anywaaay they down sized from the wood grain country squire wagon to one of these...way more room in the driveway after that...hahaha

Biz
07-06-2021, 10:55 AM
I had a 1995 SHO as a winter beater/daily driver and as much as the car was fast and fun to drive, It was really poorly built. Lots of squeaks and rattles. The leather started to wear after only 15,000 kms and I was able to get it replaced only for it to start happening again before I traded it in for a 99 Contour SVT that was twice the car the SHO was. The CSVT was pretty much perfect except no armrest and it had the speakers out of a Fisher Price boombox.

https://media.carsandbids.com/cdn-cgi/image/width=2080,quality=70/da4b9237bacccdf19c0760cab7aec4a8359010b0/photos/TGPgei2pH-j2-2.CyM619zRV.jpg?t=161354746968

Gr8Stang
07-08-2021, 10:59 AM
I had a 1995 SHO as a winter beater/daily driver and as much as the car was fast and fun to drive, It was really poorly built. Lots of squeaks and rattles. The leather started to wear after only 15,000 kms and I was able to get it replaced only for it to start happening again before I traded it in for a 99 Contour SVT that was twice the car the SHO was. The CSVT was pretty much perfect except no armrest and it had the speakers out of a Fisher Price boombox.

https://media.carsandbids.com/cdn-cgi/image/width=2080,quality=70/da4b9237bacccdf19c0760cab7aec4a8359010b0/photos/TGPgei2pH-j2-2.CyM619zRV.jpg?t=161354746968

And the torque steer on launches was pretty......sphincter tightening too. ;)

No rattles in my 89, but the bolster leather did wear pretty quick on the left drivers side. Clutch replaced shortly after I bought it ( Ford Dealer paid a one third, Ford paid a third and I payed a third since it had only just come off lease with about 40K kms. on it). The other thing was the in laid black metal black strips in the side body moulding started to rust....at which point I had the whole car repainted.

I changed the timing belt twice (recommended every 100K kms.) as well as the crank position sensor and water pump while in there (preventative maintenance) the 1st time around. Also had a friend replace the tranny syncro's when I started having some shifting problems at high revs, but that was with quite a few K's on the car with lots of spirited driving. Oh...and did the Valve Lash adjustment as well.

Biz
07-08-2021, 11:18 AM
And the torque steer on launches was pretty......sphincter tightening too. ;)

No rattles in my 89, but the bolster leather did wear pretty quick on the left drivers side. Clutch replaced shortly after I bought it ( Ford Dealer paid a one third, Ford paid a third and I payed a third since it had only just come off lease with about 40K kms. on it). The other thing was the in laid black metal black strips in the side body moulding started to rust....at which point I had the whole car repainted.

I changed the timing belt twice (recommended every 100K kms.) as well as the crank position sensor and water pump while in there (preventative maintenance) the 1st time around. Also had a friend replace the tranny syncro's when I started having some shifting problems at high revs, but that was with quite a few K's on the car with lots of spirited driving. Oh...and did the Valve Lash adjustment as well.

Snowy parking lots were a blast. lol
The SHO was definitely a sleeper. And back then you could have fun without the thought of losing your car/license.

Mellow Yellow
07-08-2021, 01:18 PM
Loved my 93.

Occasionally after I blew a whatever away, they would follow me until I stopped and demanded to know how I put a 5 speed in the car. They were dumbfounded to learn it was stock.

Only major issue....EVERYTHING was so expensive to replace. Example the front motor mount, which was about 4 inched square and a foot long, cost over $300 back in early 2003.
Traded it on my my Mustang.

fast Ed
07-08-2021, 07:26 PM
Had a funny comment back about 10 years ago while coaching at Hanson track day at the old configuration Mosport DDT. At the time I had a beater 95 SHO MTX with decent suspension and tires plus Cobra brakes. Last instructor session of the day, after a point-by I passed a coach and student who were in the student's late model Civic. Didn't think much of it, but while I was packing up the car at the end of the event, the young lady student comes over to look at the car. "That says Taurus on the back, but it's not really a Taurus is it?" I laughed and told her that yes it was a Taurus and gave her a very brief story about the SHO. Seems that she was impressed with the speed of the rusty old Taurus that went by. LOL

Ziggyzag420
07-11-2021, 02:00 AM
Had a 93 SHO 5 speed , green exterior with black interior was a fun car to drive