PDA

View Full Version : 2V Cams? What is the best?

Zippy
08-12-2021, 08:21 PM
Found this interesting video on dyno testing 2v 4.6 cams in a NA application.
Since I've been looking at building a 2v, been researching my brains out in what cam to go with for what I want to do with my car.
Definetely not going with the monster cam, depending on the head I go with, I think I'm going to go with the 262 or the 268 cam... or something similar by TFS or todd warren.
Anyways... check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgZBYbbZA34&list=PLM8JsB6QR-Tb1v-wOGAHIGW98xVXCFjNw&index=24

Zutz2v
08-12-2021, 10:22 PM
Found this interesting video on dyno testing 2v 4.6 cams in a NA application.
Since I've been looking at building a 2v, been researching my brains out in what cam to go with for what I want to do with my car.
Definetely not going with the monster cam, depending on the head I go with, I think I'm going to go with the 262 or the 268 cam... or something similar by TFS or todd warren.
Anyways... check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgZBYbbZA34&list=PLM8JsB6QR-Tb1v-wOGAHIGW98xVXCFjNw&index=24

I was going to go with the 262 but it also helps the boost, it was recommended to me from someone else who ran boost. GL in your research Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammerhead
08-13-2021, 07:34 AM
Comp cams has a great website and are very helpful with cam selection....

Zippy
08-13-2021, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately Comp cams are having big problems with Cams in pretty much any vehicle right now. The manufacturing of them has been very inconsistent.

Laffs
08-13-2021, 08:34 AM
I have 262AH in my car. Reason for it was I always found the 2V to really lack low end grunt and I assumed at the time I'd be going with a Centri-blower one day so power band would be even more peaky. When I installed the cams 9-10 years ago they were the best off the shelf option that didn't sacrifice down low power but provided a decent bump on the top end. Hindsight being what it is I wish I would have gone a bit more aggressive on the cam selection and instead ran a Positive Displacement blower.

Zippy
08-13-2021, 08:55 AM
I have 262AH in my car. Reason for it was I always found the 2V to really lack low end grunt and I assumed at the time I'd be going with a Centri-blower one day so power band would be even more peaky. When I installed the cams 9-10 years ago they were the best off the shelf option that didn't sacrifice down low power but provided a decent bump on the top end. Hindsight being what it is I wish I would have gone a bit more aggressive on the cam selection and instead ran a Positive Displacement blower.
Did you ever have your car tuned ? Be interested in your power gains with that cam. I assume stock PI heads?
Did you do valve springs or just slam them in?

Laffs
08-13-2021, 08:59 AM
Did you ever have your car tuned ? Be interested in your power gains with that cam. I assume stock PI heads?
Did you do valve springs or just slam them in?

Street tuned with cams. Never dyno'd cam only. Stock heads and internals.

Zutz2v
08-13-2021, 01:55 PM

If you could switch the cam as your car is now would you choose a different option ? ( in the middle of my build ) might consider a different cam.

bbriann
08-13-2021, 03:28 PM
My Modular Head Shop cams are stage 3 probably stage 2 would been better option but they are specific for trickflow head and also specific for centrifugal supercharger. I also paid for the
Degree option ...I just slapped them in...plug and play.

Zippy
08-13-2021, 04:37 PM
Street tuned with cams. Never dyno'd cam only. Stock heads and internals.

Send me vid of it running
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:highfive:

Laffs
08-15-2021, 05:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDSOR85790&ab_channel=aCiD99GT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4UzUgjEJjM&ab_channel=laffs99

Zippy
08-15-2021, 07:40 PM
A lot more cam sounding then I thought it would have. Sounds great man

ZR
08-15-2021, 07:45 PM
Wow that is sexy.

Laffs
08-16-2021, 08:12 AM
How "cammy" it sounds depends on a bunch of factors not least of which is the idle RPM. My car in first clip was on stock tune, 750 rpm idle. Sounded great, drivability wasn't all there. It's currently set up to 850 rpm I believe. Sounds less cammed but doesn't want to drop out and stall at lights. Had to be done post blower install I assume because of the additional load of driving the centri blower

Zippy
08-16-2021, 09:06 AM
How "cammy" it sounds depends on a bunch of factors not least of which is the idle RPM. My car in first clip was on stock tune, 750 rpm idle. Sounded great, drivability wasn't all there. It's currently set up to 850 rpm I believe. Sounds less cammed but doesn't want to drop out and stall at lights. Had to be done post blower install I assume because of the additional load of driving the centri blower

You pick up a lot of cam sound with timing as well. I was amazed at how much sound ZR picked up once the car was tuned and timing was added in.

Laffs
08-16-2021, 09:36 AM
You pick up a lot of cam sound with timing as well. I was amazed at how much sound ZR picked up once the car was tuned and timing was added in.

Good point as well. I have very little timing in the tune right now with the blower.

maxwell6
08-16-2021, 02:53 PM
Modular Head Shop for me too . Also had them degreed and upgraded valve springs. Stage 2.

Zippy
08-16-2021, 07:41 PM
Having them degree the cams seems like really smart money to spend. Looking on their site, only 170usd to do that. Seems cheap.

Zippy
08-16-2021, 08:02 PM
I just sent MHS a email on what they would suggest for cam/head combo for what I'm looking to do with the car. Interesting to see what they have to say.
I rather not forge the bottom end as I'm cheap as hell. LOL

Laffs
08-16-2021, 08:05 PM
It sure does. If the difference between my 262ah and their stage 2 blower cams werent so close I'd switch.

Zippy
08-17-2021, 05:10 PM
So MHS just got back to me. They say that with their stage 2 PI head package (with the stage 2.5 Cam), I would get into the 320-330 range at the tire. I would be looking at more with the TFS 185's that they rip apart and put all their own stuff in it.
The price tag on this stuff is a bit shocking though. The PI Head package (stage 2) with Ford GT followers is $3459 with any Cams you want.
Basically arrives ready to bolt on.
I guess I need to get a second job. LOL
:mechanic:

Laffs
08-18-2021, 08:56 AM
2V horsepower is never cheap horsepower.

Zee
08-20-2021, 09:08 AM
2V horsepower is never cheap horsepower.

I'm learning this more and more. May as well wait it out and put a blower on it....but i love da choppity chop!!

Zippy
08-20-2021, 04:42 PM
*Patiently waits for MHS to email me back after sending them 101 questions about their heads*

:waiting::waiting::waiting::waiting::waiting::wait ing::waiting::waiting::waiting::waiting::waiting:: waiting::waiting::waiting:

bbriann
08-20-2021, 05:27 PM
Biggest advantage to trickflow head way more PTV clearance and
Spark plug threads don't protrude into heart of the flame and get eaten up if detonation happens, but that is only a concern if boosted....i have miss shift from
7000rpm and went from 3rd to gear 2nd 3 times...no bent valves...

Zippy
08-29-2021, 08:27 PM
Well MHS didn't email me back. I guess I'll just call and get my questions answered...

Kinda weird that now on their website ... says they no longer have any TFS 2v heads available
Going to call on Monday or Tuesday and see whats up...

ZR
08-29-2021, 08:45 PM
Shows "not available". Wonder if that means they no longer sell or perhaps TFS has a problem.

Laffs
08-30-2021, 08:43 AM
MHS has always seemed to have a hit or miss reputation on answering emails/calls in a timely manner since they got bought out/taken over.

Zee
06-20-2022, 10:20 AM
Thought i'd revive this thread :)

Now that i'm not selling the car i'm going to be getting stage 1 cams.
Although I know stage 2 would be better, the costs will be quite different as I dont have to upgrade much else if i go with the stage 1.
What does the 226/230 number mean for Comp Cams? https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-comp-cams-xe262ah.html

Laffs
06-20-2022, 11:07 AM
Duration at .050 lift for intake and exhaust

Zee
06-20-2022, 11:57 AM
Duration at .050 lift for intake and exhaust

Got it.
Is that a good duration of lift? lol
This is just a sunday cruiser.

Zippy
06-20-2022, 01:06 PM
The stage 1 cam from comp would be a pretty big waste of money. I believe the stage 1 is pretty much equal to the stock cam specs.
If you are looking for any type of gains, you should look at the stage 2.
Also, majority of stage 2 cams are straight drop ins. Don't need valve springs with majority of them.

I still have my stage 2 from MHS to install. Bought them pre degreed. A straight drop in.

Laffs
06-20-2022, 02:30 PM
Personally no complaints on my stage 1.

Zee
06-20-2022, 04:07 PM
The stage 1 cam from comp would be a pretty big waste of money. I believe the stage 1 is pretty much equal to the stock cam specs.
If you are looking for any type of gains, you should look at the stage 2.
Also, majority of stage 2 cams are straight drop ins. Don't need valve springs with majority of them.

I still have my stage 2 from MHS to install. Bought them pre degreed. A straight drop in.

Anyone i've spoken too in regards to stage 2's is always adamant on me replacing the springs, gears, etc etc. The cost then skyrockets to over double and at that point - a supercharger starts to make a lot more sense.

Zippy
06-20-2022, 04:55 PM
Personally no complaints on my stage 1.

for some reason i thought you had stage 2.

Zippy
06-20-2022, 05:04 PM
Anyone i've spoken too in regards to stage 2's is always adamant on me replacing the springs, gears, etc etc. The cost then skyrockets to over double and at that point - a supercharger starts to make a lot more sense.

I actually mispoke. I forgot the 2v stage 1 cam is different vs. the 4v stage 1 cam. The stage 1 cam is an upgrade for sure.

Zee
06-22-2022, 10:32 AM
I actually mispoke. I forgot the 2v stage 1 cam is different vs. the 4v stage 1 cam. The stage 1 cam is an upgrade for sure.

Thank you! I have decided to go with the stage 1 :)

Laffs
06-22-2022, 03:00 PM
for some reason i thought you had stage 2.

No idea what stage it is TBH I just know its the 262AH cam.

Zutz2v
06-28-2022, 03:13 PM
No idea what stage it is TBH I just know its the 262AH cam.

My engine builder recommend this cam. But it’s a blower cam. Not sure how well it reacts on a N/A motor

Laffs
06-29-2022, 08:16 AM
They're N/A cams that just happen to work well with FI. On a bolt on motor you'll feel an tangible increase from about 3500-4000rpm through to redline. I think it's something like 20hp max gain with a 2-5hp gain under the curve to 3500 then the gains start to rise. Torque drops a bit until mid range so if you don't have gears, do gears.

Zee
06-29-2022, 11:27 AM
They're N/A cams that just happen to work well with FI. On a bolt on motor you'll feel an tangible increase from about 3500-4000rpm through to redline. I think it's something like 20hp max gain with a 2-5hp gain under the curve to 3500 then the gains start to rise. Torque drops a bit until mid range so if you don't have gears, do gears.

I've got 3.73's currently :)
I'm definitely going to go with the stage 226/230 cams: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-comp-cams-xe262ah.html
And I might as well buy the springs and retainers. Which means this build will be going into next year lol That dam 2V expensive power!

ZR
06-29-2022, 12:52 PM
^ They all are brother.

Zutz2v
06-29-2022, 01:21 PM
I've got 3.73's currently :)
I'm definitely going to go with the stage 226/230 cams: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-comp-cams-xe262ah.html
And I might as well buy the springs and retainers. Which means this build will be going into next year lol That dam 2V expensive power!

Mine as well. Life got crazy all in 1 shot. I’m upset about it. Haven’t even sat in my mustang since last year.

Zee
06-29-2022, 02:28 PM
Mine as well. Life got crazy all in 1 shot. I’m upset about it. Haven’t even sat in my mustang since last year.

Give me a call, lets sit in it and have a lime white claw to some good tunes and talk about financial woes lol

Zee
07-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Pulled the trigger Gents.

Comp cams 230/236 (stage 2)
Springs 0.5 lift
Spring retainers

:D

Really looking forward to this :D

Laffs
07-04-2022, 04:46 PM
Nice, hopefully no PTV issues on those, should be fine tho.

Zee
07-05-2022, 09:27 AM
Nice, hopefully no PTV issues on those, should be fine tho.

Nothing from what I've read, the 270's seem to start giving PTV issues and you need to have them degreed.

Zutz2v
07-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Pulled the trigger Gents.

Comp cams 230/236 (stage 2)
Springs 0.5 lift
Spring retainers

:D

Really looking forward to this :D

You installing yourself ?

ZR
07-05-2022, 10:44 AM
Worth knowing, Modular Head shop can sell you cams pre degree'd which makes them a drop in. Service is cheap.

Zee
07-05-2022, 02:52 PM
Worth knowing, Modular Head shop can sell you cams pre degree'd which makes them a drop in. Service is cheap.

Wish I had known that prior lol
Abit too late now I guess.

Zee
07-05-2022, 02:52 PM
You installing yourself ?

Kevin from Twisted Speed Shop is doing the install.

ZR
07-05-2022, 05:57 PM
Wish I had known that prior lol
Abit too late now I guess.

Yup heck of a deal for the little they charge, available for 2v / 3v / 4v Mod motors (maybe more).

Zee
07-15-2022, 09:05 AM
Yup heck of a deal for the little they charge, available for 2v / 3v / 4v Mod motors (maybe more).

Do you guys have any experience with Steeda tunes? I'm really thinking of getting them to do the cam install and tune. This way it can get done at the same time and I dont have to lug the car from one place to the next.

ZR
07-15-2022, 11:25 AM
Been known to do good work.

Zee
07-15-2022, 12:54 PM
Very competitive on pricing as well!

Zutz2v
07-20-2022, 05:43 AM
Very competitive on pricing as well!

Did you get it done ?

Zee
07-20-2022, 11:09 AM
Did you get it done ?

Nope, fucking nightmare i'm living right now.
Paid all that money and ordered the cams, springs and retainers... the guy who was supposed to install them isnt answering his phone anymore.
Trying to get everything returned to American Muscle, they're going to issue me a refund minus the $160 in shipping costs.

I have to then go through Steeda for everything...they would order the comp cams from MHS, cam gears and have the cams degreed - over all work is costing me $1000 MORE over all but atleast I can get the parts, install, tune done at the same location and the shop has lots of availability.

Whole thing has really rubbed me the wrong way, its like you have to chase people to give them your money - fucked up. I almost want to just say fuck it and not do anything.

Zutz2v
07-20-2022, 08:16 PM
Nope, fucking nightmare i'm living right now.
Paid all that money and ordered the cams, springs and retainers... the guy who was supposed to install them isnt answering his phone anymore.
Trying to get everything returned to American Muscle, they're going to issue me a refund minus the $160 in shipping costs.

I have to then go through Steeda for everything...they would order the comp cams from MHS, cam gears and have the cams degreed - over all work is costing me $1000 MORE over all but atleast I can get the parts, install, tune done at the same location and the shop has lots of availability.

Whole thing has really rubbed me the wrong way, its like you have to chase people to give them your money - fucked up. I almost want to just say fuck it and not do anything.

It’s true man. With these things you need to be anal. That extra steps just to get what you want are a real pain in the ass. I’m still excited for you.