PDA

View Full Version : Appliance Recommendations

USAWIT2
08-15-2021, 09:15 PM
Currently appliance shopping, looking for a new Gas stove and refrigerator.

Reviews seems to be all over the place, doesn't seem to matter what make
Just wondering what everyone recommends or should stay away from.
Budget is about $2000 for each one

Thanks

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
08-15-2021, 09:34 PM
Remember with reviews people are more likely to complain than compliment and manufactures pay for good reviews. LoL

In all seriousness. Don’t by Samsung. And be weary of LG. Both build some nice stuff BUT can be a nightmare when it comes to fixing.

Personally I’m not impressed with the stuff Frigidaire is putting out lately. It’s priced right but fit/ finish isn’t top notch and seeing not that average calls for stupid things.

Whirlpool or any of their sub companies (maytag, kitchenaid, Jenn air) is a decent bet. Just be observant. They like to sell you the same thing under a different name for more money.

I’m biased but I’m a GE guy. The make good stuff for all price points and their customer service seems to be one of the best in the industry. When we re did our kitchen in the old house we went with the “Cafe” line top not notch you can’t go wrong with their Profile line either.

Start with what colour your looking into and basic options and go from there.

RedSN
08-15-2021, 10:46 PM
^^^gotta agree with the GE Cafe line. We got an induction stove and dishwasher, and they have been great. Slight issue with the handles not matching (colour slightly off), but very good appliances so far.

92redragtop
08-16-2021, 01:41 AM
I saw those Cafe models at Home Depot recently - they look like nice units. Didn't know they were GE.

We bought all Whirlpool appliances when we bought the house 21 years ago - all still working notwithstanding a couple minor issues over the years (knock on wood, lol). I'm sure they're on borrowed time now and hopefully not jinxing myself. Not sure how good they are today as a brand (^^sounds like may still be ok based on comment above) but based on my experience to date I'd consider them again.

Will not buy Samsung or LG - just saw too much negative stuff on them over the years. CR notes they are attractive units with lots of great customer pleasing features until you need service and/or parts then you get bent over.

CON VERT
08-16-2021, 06:57 AM
I have all LG going on 3 years now, dishwasher and stove are rock starts, the Fridge not so much ~ minor stuff

Scrape
08-16-2021, 07:16 AM
Always learning new thing here on TMC. Whether car related or not. Your feedback to all this is great.

True Blue
08-16-2021, 08:07 AM
Will not buy Samsung or LG - just saw too much negative stuff on them over the years. CR notes they are attractive units with lots of great customer pleasing features until you need service and/or parts then you get bent over.

THIS, totally agree!

I've had pretty good luck with Whirlpool and KitchenAid appliances. But I will say the latest Whirlpool fridge I purchased, I'm very disappointed in the quality.

Quicksilver
08-16-2021, 11:33 AM
We have a 27 cubic foot Fridgidare "Gallery" series 3 door fridge. Piece of junk. It leaks. The seals are worn out after 6 years. The shelves have cracked. I'd never buy another one

USAWIT2
08-16-2021, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone, we'll take a look at the GE and Whirlpool brands.

Doubt I will get the same life out new appliances as my old ones (25+yrs) but you never know

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

92redragtop
08-16-2021, 04:07 PM
Couple other things we considered/did and will again in the future is for 2-door fridge (fewer seals; freezer on bottom - maybe they're all that way now) and no water/ice in door (more stuff to fail - plus we use RO water in the kitchen anyway). Not sure if that makes a difference but the appliance guys would know better.

Uncle Buck
08-16-2021, 09:03 PM
I've had many of the main stream brands over the years and find they are all similar in reliability. Unfortunately that means replacing them every 7 or 8 years because something will go and the repair will be more than half of new.

If I had to pick, which I did last year, I went with one of the fancier Maytag lines. No issues so far but they are only 18 months old. Space limitations gave me few options.

Buy, break, replace, repeat....

mavrrrick
08-16-2021, 09:51 PM
We have Frigidaire all the way around. Happy with them-3-4 years old I think??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LX89
08-16-2021, 11:04 PM
Last year a appliance parts guy from Marcone told me that today's appliances are junk with a 5-7 year lifespan.

He said the problems usually start after the first year when the warranty is gone.

Good luck so far with a 31 year old Maytag stove,fridge,washer with only minor problems like elements,one burner switch,fridge sensor.

Jack Raccoon!
08-17-2021, 10:20 AM
I remember a post about LG Appliances from years back. That turned into a 5-6 year source of comedy...

CON VERT
08-17-2021, 10:34 AM
As long as my appliances are not the source of the comedy , let it roll !

Jack Raccoon!
08-17-2021, 05:24 PM
I think there might be an animated video floating around somewhere...

Gr8Stang
08-19-2021, 05:01 PM
Bought an LG two door fridge with bottom drawer freezer about 6 or 7 years ago from Lowes. The device that helps close/secure the door (on one door) started to fail (door wouldn't always close) and the rubber seals/molding on the two fridge doors developed black mold and were replaced under warranty as well at the same time (bought the extended warranty). The ice maker stopped working (fairly common issue from what I found out) after about 4 years....just shortly after my warranty ran out.

We had a GE Profiles gas stove that we inherited when we bought the place in 2005. Other then replacing the igniter a couple of times, it was rock solid.

New place we moved into in Calgary has all Whirlpool appliances, which I'm assuming came with the house new in 2011 (could be wrong). We'll see how it goes with them....