PDA

View Full Version : Great House Paint

Gr8Stang
08-20-2021, 04:05 PM
Wife and I re-painted the 2nd floor of our new place. Decided to give Benjamin Moore Regal Select paint a try after viewing some YouTube reviews on it.

All I can say is...wow! Went on very nice and coverage was great (2 coats). No splatter and very low smell.

It is pricey, but IMO, worth it.

redo75
08-21-2021, 01:24 AM
I found that the true test of a premium paint is the review you give the product after 10 years of living with it.
I was surprised how well mine held up after all these years.

92redragtop
08-21-2021, 01:53 AM
Same here - we last painted the house a long time ago (maybe 15 years) and it still looks great. We used one of Benjamin Moore's premium paints at the time - money well spent.

Also used their deck stain/protector on our old deck and the coat lasted several years each time whereas the stuff from Home Depot we used a couple years ago on the new deck looks like it's gone.

xeninworx
08-21-2021, 05:44 AM
I wonder how their exterior paint holds up. I want to repaint the garage door and front door. Dad painted them a boring grey a few years ago.

83 5.0
08-21-2021, 06:14 AM
I wonder how their exterior paint holds up. I want to repaint the garage door and front door. Dad painted them a boring grey a few years ago.

I have always used Benjamin Moore inside and out, it has always held up. The rear of my house gets sun all the time and no issues. My window frames and garage doors are all wood ,and 30 plus years old.
I hate painting so have always bought the premium paints

xeninworx
08-21-2021, 07:14 AM
I have always used Benjamin Moore inside and out, it has always held up. The rear of my house gets sun all the time and no issues. My window frames and garage doors are all wood ,and 30 plus years old.

I’ll have to look into then. The front of the house gets the sun.

RedSN
08-21-2021, 07:51 AM
I hate painting also so we hire it out. Guy from the old forum paints on the side on weekends. Did our whole house, the basement, and the exterior pergola.

Agreed with the Benjamin Moore stuff. Expensive, but worth it. Even their primer seems to work best.

redo75
08-21-2021, 09:15 AM
On my exterior, we have part of the house painted with a coat of the old technology oil white Sears best, still looking great.
Another part is painted a few years ago with the latest Sherwin- Williams Best Lifetime Limited Warranty Acrylic Latex, not looking that great.
Wondering about all the new style "green" technology, same as the "food based" wiring as use on new vehicles.

92redragtop
08-21-2021, 10:41 AM
I’ll have to look into then. The front of the house gets the sun.

I forgot we also used BM on the garage door the first time we painted it back in the early 2000's - held up great until we re-painted it in 2019 (to change colour). Garage faces west so takes the brunt of sun exposure from about noon to sunset.