PDA

View Full Version : Yellow sticker

1quikgt
12-17-2021, 04:22 PM
If I were to buy a pickup truck that has been yellow stickered the last few years but won’t use it for commercial use my self, how hard is it to go through that process? Is it just as simple as registering it as non work use and not doing the annual inspection or do I need to jump through hoops?

Trying to get a response from the ministry without wasting a whole day on hold is driving me nuts lol.

bluetoy
12-17-2021, 06:35 PM
Keep the GVW below 6500 kg and no annual safety required.

Ponyryd
12-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Just rip it off and don’t worry about it. Problem is, if the truck is registered for a high gvwr you will be paying several hundred dollars a year for your sticker renewal, so you will need to change your registered gvwr at Service Ontario to avoid this.

1quikgt
12-18-2021, 09:21 AM
Thanks. So I did understand what I was reading lol.

Laffs
12-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Make sure GVWR is below the threshold for commercial which is 4500kg per MTO unless the truck had a factory GVWR of 6500 or less in which case its that. Then remove the yellow sticker and run it as personal use only. Just watch out if its a heavy duty 3/4 or 1 ton truck that if you plan to tow any larger non RV trailers as that could put you in commercial sticker territory based on weight.

Also if the beds been removed and replaced with a flat bed or service body you're in commercial zone regardless I believe.

Spock
12-20-2021, 07:31 PM
Scrape the sticker off...you dont need anything if the truck is registered under 6500KG for personal use

A personal use pickup truck and any trailer drawn by the pickup truck are exempt if the following conditions are met:

The pickup truck has a GVWR of 6,500 kg or less; and
The pickup truck is fitted with the original, unmodified box that was installed by the manufacturer or an unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one originally installed by the manufacturer; and
The pickup truck and trailer are being used for personal use without compensation; and
Neither the pickup truck nor the trailer is carrying commercial tools or cargo, or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes.

Ponyryd
12-20-2021, 09:21 PM
^Yes, this is correct regarding hauling campers/personal use trailers. @laffs I have never heard of personal use guys being hassled by MTO, which seems strange to me, but that’s how they do it, and always have.

5.4MarkVIII
12-20-2021, 09:54 PM
There was talk a couple years ago about them changing the law, so that any trailer over a certain size would require yellow sticker and annual inspections. Don’t think it ever came to law though.

Laffs
12-21-2021, 09:05 AM
^Yes, this is correct regarding hauling campers/personal use trailers. @laffs I have never heard of personal use guys being hassled by MTO, which seems strange to me, but that’s how they do it, and always have.

I got fined towing Tino's trailer with my car in it...

ZR
12-21-2021, 09:16 AM
Scenario, truck is personal use only n reg below sticker wt but is hooked to an HD open car trailer with dual 5000lb axles. Even though trailer is reg to you, being used for personal use only, say this requires both truck n trailer to be stickered.

Laffs
12-21-2021, 09:23 AM
Scenario, truck is personal use only n reg below sticker wt but is hooked to an HD open car trailer with dual 5000lb axles. Even though trailer is reg to you, being used for personal use only, say this requires both truck n trailer to be stickered.

Dat was me.

ZR
12-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Trailer dealers I've spoken to are either just trying to make the sale or ignorant of whats actually going on out there. I've had a couple of semi heated debates with them insisting dual 5000 lb axles towed by a 1/2 ton does not require a sticker. I'm betting more peeps are getting pinched vs what we hear about. Seeing several used trailers with 6 bolt wheels (5000 lb axles) being intentionally listed as dual 3500 with low GVW. Makes a person wonder if owner has been recently pinched towing it with his 1/2 ton truck.
Was trailer you were towing reg to someone personally or company?

Laffs
12-21-2021, 10:00 AM
Personally. Told me the weights were too high and here's the price to pay.

ZR
12-21-2021, 10:06 AM
Suspected you'd say that.

Ponyryd
12-21-2021, 05:58 PM
I got fined towing Tino's trailer with my car in it...

Wow, learned something new today, lol.
Maybe it’s just the monster campers being towed by 1/2 ton trucks that are allowed.

ZR
12-21-2021, 06:03 PM
Yes RV's fall under a totally different deal.
Whats inexcusable to me, trailer dealers not being aware of whats legit.

Laffs
12-22-2021, 10:24 AM
Wow, learned something new today, lol.
Maybe it’s just the monster campers being towed by 1/2 ton trucks that are allowed.

Yea RV's are different from standard enclosed