PDA

View Full Version : BIG garage door installer

5.4MarkVIII
12-30-2021, 08:26 PM
anyone with experience installing?

im being paranoid with a 12 x 20 foot door and just want to double check a couple things before i finalize and get this massive thing open and hanging above my head. lol

the instructions are vague at best. and have show the Z bar (horizontal support) and the bracket for the door opener attachment to be in the same spot. the only way to attach the drop bar now is to cut a notch in the horizontal support. which to me seems like it will negate the entire purpose of a horizontal support

you can see in the picture the bolt that the drop bar (black bar) bolts to is behind the horizontal support. the horizontal bar is in the location on the door that the manual says it is. I know the door bracket doesn't go the other way around because than the drop bar would not reach. and it is the exact length up and down as the door panel so it wont move up or down.

so only options I can see is to either move the horizontal bracket down. or notch it to be able to fit the drop bar.

Redfire427
12-31-2021, 08:29 AM
For a door that large, I would not use one of those pull-back openers. Get yourself a side mount opener which turns the shaft. Chamberlain makes a sweet side mount wifi opener and they go for about $650 at Home Depot, but can be found on sale occasionally at Canadian Tire too. I’ve got two of them.

5.4MarkVIII
12-31-2021, 08:33 AM
its a 3 point lift. uses a wall mount opener on a shaft, 2 cables and the center as an auxiliary lift as well. to limit baffling in the center, since its a leading wind door on an end wall.

Redfire427
12-31-2021, 07:23 PM
You should post a picture of the airplane you keep in there.
That is one massive door.

5.4MarkVIII
12-31-2021, 10:43 PM
Lol. Just always despised working with doors that are too small.

Nothing worse that having a project waiting for parts stuck in the doorway and blocking everything else.

Got ahold of a door guy today. He said just move the horizontal support down below the door plate.

With any luck I will get the opener up tomorrow and finish bracing. And can open the door.

Once that’s done I can put up the other door and finally have this place closed in.