PDA

View Full Version : LG French Door Fridge dripping water at door

JZ67
01-03-2022, 03:49 PM
Happy New Year, All!

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. I have an LG French Door with water/ice dispenser. (https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product/lg-LFX25778SW) The water dispenser is randomly dripping water and I cannot figure out why.

Recently, one of the water lines located on the back of the fridge cracked and I replaced it. The repair went well and the fridge was not leaking from anywhere. Shortly after, I replaced the water filter with an aftermarket cartridge. I noticed that the drip tray was full of water and chalked this up to someone using the ice dispenser and leaving ice on the drip tray but after cleaning, the drip tray was full again the next day. This is when I noticed the leak.

I thought that there might be air trapped in the line and ran water for about 3 minutes. Leak persisted.

I replaced the aftermarket water filter with and OEM filter and the leak persisted.

I have taken apart the water mechanism and while disassembled I did not notice any leaking at all. Cleaned whatever I could, lubed some moving parts and re-assembled the unit. Fridge started dripping again.

Youtube is not yielding any results for repair. Anyone out there that can give me some ideas?

This is making me a bit nuts.

Snaketamer
01-03-2022, 04:19 PM
Test the secondary water inlet valve for continuity?

JZ67
01-03-2022, 04:45 PM
Test the secondary water inlet valve for continuity?

Thank you! You might be on to something. Water delivery and ice maker work. Wouldn't continuity impact these as well?

5.4MarkVIII
01-03-2022, 06:08 PM
could be a lose fitting. or could be a bad valve.

most fridges with ice and water run three valves, a primary one that shuts down all the water, a secondary for the ice maker and a secondary for the water dispenser. they usualy just come as an assembly.

I would double check all the fittings first. give them a wiggle or hold your finger as tight as you can on the hose and cycle the valve, see if any of the fittings leak. also check the seals on your water filter. check loose fitment of the water filter itself.

if all thus stuff checks out then order a valve assembly.

JZ67
01-04-2022, 08:44 AM
And just like that, it stopped dripping. Not sure why it started and no clue why it stopped.

5.4MarkVIII
01-04-2022, 01:40 PM
And just like that, it stopped dripping. Not sure why it started and no clue why it stopped.

Most likely a trapped air bubble somewhere in the system then.

There is nothing to physically hold the water in the line. It just uses the ambient air pressure (think putting your thumb over a straw and lifting it out of the water.

So anything that disrupts that pressure. Like trapped bubbles or even an open window. Can cause drips.

JZ67
01-04-2022, 09:37 PM
And just like that, it started again.

JZ67
01-05-2022, 08:56 AM
and stopped again...I just don't get it.