PDA

View Full Version : P0172 code

hammerhead
01-13-2022, 09:17 AM
Good morning gents - the coyote in the F has thrown this code P0172 (air fuel related - Lean) the truck is around 95,000 change air filter 5k ago change oil regularly with synthetic - truck seems to run fine but I thought I may be hearing a slight ping at low rpm accelerating - fuel mileage seems ok - was wondering if I should bump up to high test....any thoughts? - I cleared the code and will see what happens but the truck runs fine....?

Zutz2v
01-13-2022, 10:57 AM
Good morning gents - the coyote in the F has thrown this code P0172 (air fuel related - Lean) the truck is around 95,000 change air filter 5k ago change oil regularly with synthetic - truck seems to run fine but I thought I may be hearing a slight ping at low rpm accelerating - fuel mileage seems ok - was wondering if I should bump up to high test....any thoughts? - I cleared the code and will see what happens but the truck runs fine....?

Depending on your year of truck, I believe they have an injector issue that might be causing that. My uncle had to get his 2016 5.0 done for a similar issue. And of course out of warranty. It was like 2200$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammerhead
01-13-2022, 11:05 AM
Depending on your year of truck, I believe they have an injector issue that might be causing that. My uncle had to get his 2016 5.0 done for a similar issue. And of course out of warranty. It was like 2200$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's a 2019 - I do have an outstanding recall but it is just a battery charge sensor - I still have roughly 5000k on my warranty so I was wondering - The idle is good so I was hoping it wasn't that (16 injectors on this engine) - it could be a number of things but it runs perfect and the fuel economy has not changed - I thought I may be hearing a short ping on acceleration it doesn't happen at higher rpm - I was wondering if the knock sensor could be picking up the noise and adjusting - its saying lean on bank 1 so maybe the O2 - gonna try higher octane to see if the ping will go away....maybe time to sell eh....!!! lol

Snaketamer
01-13-2022, 11:08 AM
After a quik search on F150.com... and not sure of the year of your truck...

SSM 49050 - 2018-2020 F-150 - 5.0L Flex Fuel - Illuminated MIL With DTCs P0171/P0172/P0174/P0175

Some 2018-2020 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0171, P0172, P0174 and/or P0175. This may be due to incorrect flex-fuel learning, which is often caused by customer refueling habits when adding only small amounts of fuel, the vehicle mislearning of inferred ethanol fuel mixture (FF_INF value) or a component concern. Refer to pinpoint test H in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual for diagnostics and Flex Fuel GSB for additional flex fuel system information and diagnostic tips.

1BAD92LX
01-13-2022, 11:18 AM
Problem is without the code being currently set, they (at least I can’t) fix it under warranty if there’s a bulletin/recall/software update.
I would check if anything got stuck in the MAF sensor after the filter change. I’ve seen just a tiny piece of fuzz cause this.

hammerhead
01-13-2022, 11:29 AM
After a quik search on F150.com... and not sure of the year of your truck...

interesting - could be the cheap winter fuel maybe I've just noticed the ping lately (if that is what |I'm hearing) says its running lean on Bank 1 hopefully not an injector - I fill it once a week usually close to empty when I fill it

hammerhead
01-13-2022, 11:30 AM
Problem is without the code being currently set, they (at least I can’t) fix it under warranty if there’s a bulletin/recall/software update.
I would check if anything got stuck in the MAF sensor after the filter change. I’ve seen just a tiny piece of fuzz cause this.

I never thought of that - thanks - I will have a look

ZR
01-13-2022, 01:52 PM
Along with cleaning MAF, dump full can of SeaFoam in the tank.

Uncle Buck
01-13-2022, 02:55 PM
Sea foam is magic

I had a misfire on the van that self corrected with a can of sea foam in the tank. A year later the misfire came back and again resolved with a can of seafoam.

hammerhead
01-13-2022, 05:12 PM
I was thinking the seafoam

ZR
01-13-2022, 06:59 PM
Could be inj partially hanging open, causing rich condition, 02 sensor signally lean lean lean to the puter.

hammerhead
01-14-2022, 09:07 AM
yesterday I cleared the code as mentioned to turn the engine light off - drove between 50-60k to the petrocan on route no unusual noise or ping - topped up with 94 —ouch - engine ran smooth all the way down this am - It always had a little hesitation when the r's came down stopped at a light (kind of like it was in shut off mode at a stop) and the ping recently (convinced now it was ping but sounded more like a rattle or something lose knocking) - no little hiccups today we will see how it goes —94 tho ouch I can see 200$ fills on the horizon

ZR
01-14-2022, 09:11 AM
If everything ok, should be fine on Reg.
Suggest clean MAF + SeaFoam and return to reg.

hammerhead
01-14-2022, 09:52 AM
If everything ok, should be fine on Reg.
Suggest clean MAF + SeaFoam and return to reg.

I'm going to do that probably Saturday - no time for my stuff...lol - It's had these little weird things lately nothing major - but it has always had that little hesitation stopping at a light (I just thought that may have been normal) today that was gone - also sometime back it threw a misfire code - Today it ran perfect all the way down - I've gone back to using Ultramar out of convenience where I live, but maybe I need to go to pertrocan again...?

1BAD92LX
01-14-2022, 10:05 AM
Forget the 94 octane. Combo of lean code, hesitation and misfire, I’d be heading to the dealer and making the most out of what’s left of your warranty. Could be just something as simple as a software update

hammerhead
01-14-2022, 10:16 AM
Forget the 94 octane. Combo of lean code, hesitation and misfire, I’d be heading to the dealer and making the most out of what’s left of your warranty. Could be just something as simple as a software update

with todays technology you would think this would happen automatically - I haven't had any updates come my way from Ford but a buddy gets them all the time with his 6 banger - I don't think I will get a 6 banger....lol but to be fair I didn't download any apps not much of a techy can't wait to retire and throw all this electronic shit away....lol

ZR
01-14-2022, 10:17 AM
For sure, seeing as it's a dirty combo, hell yes on try n get it sorted before it's on your dime.

1BAD92LX
01-14-2022, 10:43 AM
I don’t think Ford would go out of their way to tell you that you need a software update unless it was safety related.
Generally, check engine light or drivability issues possibly have a service bulletin which Ford has found can sometimes be fixed by updating pcm software.
Every computer controlled system on your car can be updated. Engine, trans, hvac, awd, the list goes on.

LX89
01-14-2022, 10:48 PM
I'm going to do that probably Saturday - no time for my stuff...lol - It's had these little weird things lately nothing major - but it has always had that little hesitation stopping at a light (I just thought that may have been normal) today that was gone - also sometime back it threw a misfire code - Today it ran perfect all the way down - I've gone back to using Ultramar out of convenience where I live, but maybe I need to go to pertrocan again...?

I think I read years ago on GTAMC where some guy said his buddy had something to do with refinery's and said Shell had the best refining process and therefore the best quality gasoline.
Don't know if that's still true.

hammerhead
01-15-2022, 09:38 AM
I don’t think Ford would go out of their way to tell you that you need a software update unless it was safety related.
Generally, check engine light or drivability issues possibly have a service bulletin which Ford has found can sometimes be fixed by updating pcm software.
Every computer controlled system on your car can be updated. Engine, trans, hvac, awd, the list goes on.

if the app is on the phone and the vehicle trips a code Ford will message the owner —but I would think updates should be automatic the same as a home computer since the manufactures are fighting to relabel the automobile as a computer...

hammerhead
01-15-2022, 09:45 AM
I think I read years ago on GTAMC where some guy said his buddy had something to do with refinery's and said Shell had the best refining process and therefore the best quality gasoline.
Don't know if that's still true.

I've heard similar stories from people who have worked at refineries - especially fuel delivered to independent stations - in my own experience: I use to own a sprinter 5cyl diesel - cheap fuel from Husky it ran like shit and it was almost an instant change - I found Sunoco had the best diesel but they where few and far between but a very noticeable difference on fuel mileage and operation - good diesel made a noticeable difference especially in the winter

hammerhead
01-22-2022, 10:21 AM
it's been 1.5 weeks - I spoke to some locals and have also complained about their cars running poorly after filling at the Ultramar they actually posted this of FB - I'm not suggesting they have bad fuel at Ultramar could be additives required and mandated or possible water in fuel or maybe tank - I have had issues here before when the over night delivery put the wrong fuel in the ground tanks and I filled my car with diesel instead of supper... since I've cleared the code on my truck and used a tank and a half of 94 the truck is running great and the fuel mileage has been a touch better considering the cold temps - I'm not sure if I will go back to the regular, maybe in the summer - I will continue to monitor and if the problem persists I'm sure it will throw a code - but for know I write it off as bad fuel and avoid Ultramar - two bad experiences is enough - the code tripped had a long list of possibilities form exhaust issues to fuel in the oil and many things in between including several sensors none of which I would think present 2+ years in - for now I will think it's bad fuel - Pays to drive with the radio turned off