PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh bridge collapse

ZR
01-29-2022, 03:30 AM
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15909642/2022/01/Getty.png

xeninworx
01-29-2022, 06:21 AM
The fuck?

83 5.0
01-29-2022, 06:57 AM
Given how much salt is put on the roads, I am surprised there aren't more.

ZR
01-29-2022, 07:18 AM
I've always thought the same.

Scrape
01-29-2022, 08:29 AM
:hororr::omg:

RedSN
01-29-2022, 10:54 AM
The collapse happened just hours before President Biden traveled to the area to speak at a previously scheduled event about the $1 trillion infrastructure bill he signed into law last year.
In a 228-206 vote.

It always amazes me that these 50+ year old structures get inspected by engineers, rated as “poor” condition, then the bean counters decide to do nothing. Well, this is the result.

Fortunately nobody died this time.

Snaketamer
01-29-2022, 11:14 AM
https://www.rzrforums.net/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down/https://www.rzrforums.net/attachments/1643463932694-jpeg.689577/

92redragtop
01-29-2022, 09:09 PM
In a 228-206 vote.

It always amazes me that these 50+ year old structures get inspected by engineers, rated as “poor” condition, then the bean counters decide to do nothing. Well, this is the result.

Fortunately nobody died this time.

This is in all states - salted and not. I guess we have a similar issue here but not quite as bad.

Zippy
01-29-2022, 11:05 PM
holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!

Ponyryd
01-29-2022, 11:10 PM
Glad nobody was killed, and I think only 10 hurt, 4 in hospital. How funny though that it happened just as Biden was visiting to speak about infrastructure…….
Regardless, the govt can’t do a damn thing right anyways, you guys remember the stairway quote that member Quicksliver did a few years back? That’s the problem, everything cost more than it should because pockets being lined comes before jobs getting done.

ZR
01-29-2022, 11:13 PM
Saw on the news, countless major GTA projects in jeopardy due to funding issues yet they have money to urinate away on bike lanes no one uses. Anyone else see citizen complaining city hasn't fully cleared bike lanes since the last snow storm.............like for who to use??

1quikgt
01-31-2022, 12:03 AM
Maybe if the people that ride bikes in the city paid a yearly fee like cad users do they would be more inclined to clear them in a timely manner. Just my opinion.

LX89
02-01-2022, 11:49 PM
In my area the old QEW Etobicoke Creek concrete arch bridge has sadly been demolished.
That was quite an impressive and complicated structure.
An engineering marvel in my opinion built in 1932 and was the oldest bridge on the QEW.

The new concrete beam bridge that has replaced it looks like it was designed by a child in comparison.
Construction started in 2018 and is still ongoing having gone past the initial completion date.

5.4MarkVIII
02-02-2022, 08:21 AM
In my area the old QEW Etobicoke Creek concrete arch bridge has sadly been demolished.
That was quite an impressive and complicated structure.
An engineering marvel in my opinion built in 1932 and was the oldest bridge on the QEW.

The new concrete beam bridge that has replaced it looks like it was designed by a child in comparison.
Construction started in 2018 and is still ongoing having gone past the initial completion date.

probably way over budget too.

LX89
02-02-2022, 11:36 PM
probably way over budget too.

I wouldn't doubt it.Milking a government contract.
Because I can get there easily on my bike I have checked the progress numerous times since it started and so many times it looked like little or nothing had been done in weeks or over a month.

June,2022 is the new projected completion date,lol.
I kind of doubt that.

5.4MarkVIII
02-03-2022, 08:23 AM
bridge by us is the same, 2 years now. spent a good portion of the summers not really doing much.

RedSN
02-03-2022, 08:53 AM
Did we already forget about supply chain issues, labour shortage, and material costs?
Or is the point of this just to rant about government project in general? My bad, carry on.

ChickenLips
02-03-2022, 09:08 AM
Did we already forget about supply chain issues, labour shortage, and material costs?
Or is the point of this just to rant about government project in general? My bad, carry on.

Does it need to be an OR question instead of an AND?

StAnger
02-03-2022, 09:09 AM
bridge by us is the same, 2 years now. spent a good portion of the summers not really doing much.

The one by the marina, or the one just north of Bayfield? Not knowing the one north of Bayfield was closed put me in a bad spot last summer.

5.4MarkVIII
02-03-2022, 02:46 PM
The one north Opened up in the fall

The one by the marina. Is still being worked on. Looks like hire takes going on so hopefully soon.

I e driven over the temporary metal bridge everyday for the last year and a half and my property is just on the other side of old river road from the bridge.

The temp metal bridge is older than it used to be and you can fell the panels move as you drive over it. I’m no expert but this is something I have noticed.

Just makes you wonder when you see reports of bridges falling. Hopefully someone it doing routine inspections.

5.4MarkVIII
02-03-2022, 02:47 PM

No but this has been a common issue for government infrastructure projects for a long time. Long before covid was a thing. Projects never finish for the bid given and never on time. And us taxpayers just keep paying for it.

ChickenLips
02-03-2022, 03:34 PM
The past the corruption model was to pay 1.5 million for a 1 million bridge. The new model is to commission a million dollar report for a bridge. In the past there was an overpriced bridge, now there's studies and reports.

StAnger
02-03-2022, 10:33 PM
The one north Opened up in the fall

The one by the marina. Is still being worked on. Looks like hire takes going on so hopefully soon.

I e driven over the temporary metal bridge everyday for the last year and a half and my property is just on the other side of old river road from the bridge.

The temp metal bridge is older than it used to be and you can fell the panels move as you drive over it. I’m no expert but this is something I have noticed.

Just makes you wonder when you see reports of bridges falling. Hopefully someone it doing routine inspections.

The northern one being closed, or rather me not knowing it was closed put me in a potentially dangerous situation with a rapidly intensifying meso coming off of Lake Huron and going north being my only decent option.

5.4MarkVIII
02-04-2022, 08:17 AM
The northern one being closed, or rather me not knowing it was closed put me in a potentially dangerous situation with a rapidly intensifying meso coming off of Lake Huron and going north being my only decent option.

next time come knocking you can hide in my basement. lol

ive heard the grand bend bridge is suppose to be starting this year. thats gonna make that town stupid to go to with summer traffic if they close down the only way to get from one end of town to the other.

StAnger
02-04-2022, 10:25 AM
next time come knocking you can hide in my basement. lol

ive heard the grand bend bridge is suppose to be starting this year. thats gonna make that town stupid to go to with summer traffic if they close down the only way to get from one end of town to the other.

Thanks, but the whole point was to see it. lol

5.4MarkVIII
02-04-2022, 12:15 PM
Fine. I’ll hide in the basement. You can stand outside. lol.