PDA

View Full Version : License sticker fees to be scrapped, now what?

StAnger
03-11-2022, 03:08 AM
I know we'll still have to get new stickers once a year or every other year, but I heard (second hand) that we're now going to need an inspection every two years. Has anyone else heard that? Because I just took an insomnia induced trip down the rabbit hole and can't find anything about it.

ZR
03-11-2022, 04:10 AM
Also looked after hearing a buzz about inspections every two years coming but found nothing. One thing that is for sure, it's going to create a problem when traveling out of province when law enforcement see no sticker.

StAnger
03-11-2022, 08:50 AM
Also looked after hearing a buzz about inspections every two years coming but found nothing. One thing that is for sure, it's going to create a problem when traveling out of province when law enforcement see no sticker.

I think other provinces will be fine, but travelling in the US might be where the challenge lies.

Redfire427
03-11-2022, 08:55 AM
You still have to get your sticker…..there is just no charge for it. The ministry still needs this mechanism to collect unpaid tickets and 407 fees.

hammerhead
03-11-2022, 09:02 AM
You still have to get your sticker…..there is just no charge for it. The ministry still needs this mechanism to collect unpaid tickets and 407 fees.

Yes this would make sense also to police insurance

Stephen06GT
03-11-2022, 09:08 AM
I ordered, and paid for stickers for my truck and Celeste's Fusion a week before this came into effect. The 23 sticker is now on the truck. I still have to get a sticker for Ol Paint.

RedSN
03-11-2022, 09:17 AM
…can't find anything about it.

…found nothing.
It’s been censored and banished from the internets.

ZR
03-11-2022, 09:29 AM

That makes more sense, still allows for collection of unpaid 407 fees n double check of ins. Also still having a physical sticker takes away any possible out of province / country grief.

Ghost Rider
03-11-2022, 10:06 AM
In Alberta they scrapped the Stickers a year ago, you still pay for your license renewal but you don't get a sticker

True Blue
03-11-2022, 01:12 PM

As of March 13 a sticker will no longer be issued.

xeninworx
03-11-2022, 08:49 PM
Yeah the website says
We are eliminating licence plate stickers for passenger vehicles, light-duty trucks, motorcycles and mopeds.

LX89
03-12-2022, 12:07 AM
Now I don't have to part with $240 for not getting stickers for two years.

Scrape
03-12-2022, 08:37 AM
Same here.

True Blue
03-13-2022, 11:08 AM

Thankfully, those of us who paid for the 2 years will be receiving a refund.

BTW, after today you can remove your old sticker from your plate if you want a more cleaner look. :)

mavrrrick
03-13-2022, 06:05 PM
Just removed from all our cars!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92redragtop
03-13-2022, 10:58 PM
Thankfully, those of us who paid for the 2 years will be receiving a refund.

BTW, after today you can remove your old sticker from your plate if you want a more cleaner look. :)

Now all they have to do is get rid of those stupid front plates.

ZR
03-14-2022, 07:23 AM
^ That should have happened first.

Ghost Rider
03-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Just removed from all our cars!!

Now you got gas money!! :D

mavrrrick
03-14-2022, 05:38 PM
I’ve always had gas money…. Lol….. I just refuse to pay soooo much

RedSN
03-24-2022, 10:18 AM
Just got my cheque in the mail.
$920.

mavrrrick
03-24-2022, 11:45 AM
Sweeeet

MUSTANGWOP
03-24-2022, 11:55 AM
Just got my cheque in the mail.
$920.

Hang on to it Don, they're going to take it all back in one way or another.

Hotford
03-30-2022, 01:33 PM
ahhh the bait and switch game.............we will give your plate sticker money back just in time for the election.......then not too far after that the province will roll out DRIVEON... what is that you say.....the same company that was in control of the emission testing(PARSONS INC) was awarded the new DRIVEON program...what you never heard of this...why would you......coming in 2023 annual inspections, yup the stick moves from the plate to the windshield. and then rolled out in Aug 2024 to light duty trucks, cars and motorcycles will require an annual inspection sticker... and you thought he was being nice, wait for it the cost that will be associated with it as the paper version will be gone and all will be electronically tracked, BTW when you license you car on or after Aug 2024 you will need a E test in order to get your new plates.

mavrrrick
03-30-2022, 02:21 PM
Bend over Ontario.....You're taking it again!!!!

mavrrrick
03-30-2022, 02:27 PM
Just looked on line....is it for everyone or just commercial vehicles?
https://www.ontario.ca/page/driveon-emissions-and-safety-inspection-program

mavrrrick
03-30-2022, 02:29 PM
it briefly mentions passenger cars

Hotford
03-30-2022, 02:30 PM
Just looked on line....is it for everyone or just commercial vehicles?
https://www.ontario.ca/page/driveon-emissions-and-safety-inspection-program

RE: Ministry of Transportation - DriveON

To Whom It May Concern

I would like to share an update on the Ministry of Transportation’s (MTO) work to modernize Ontario’s Motor Vehicle Inspection Station (MVIS) program and integrate vehicle safety and emissions inspections in a single program.

This spring, Ontario will introduce DriveON, a new digital vehicle safety and emissions inspection program that will modernize and streamline the vehicle safety and emissions inspection process for station owners and vehicle owners. This new program will also enable a new “one test, one result” for vehicle safety inspections and heavy diesel commercial motor vehicle emissions testing that will reduce vehicle down time. Owners who previously chose to have safety and emissions inspections on their heavy diesel commercial motor vehicles performed separately will still have the option to do so.

On June 4, 2021, MTO awarded Parsons Inc., a third-party service provider, a contract to develop the digital platform to deliver the DriveON program. MTO has developed a four-phase implementation strategy to transition stations currently participating in Ontario’s emission testing and/or MVIS programs to DriveON’s new Vehicle Inspection Centre (VIC) model. This transition will begin with stations delivering heavy diesel commercial motor vehicle emissions testing in April 2022.

To maintain business continuity, MTO will transition stations in phases over the next two years. In Fall/Winter 2022-23, the DriveON will expand to include digital safety standards certificate inspections for cars, light-duty trucks, and motorcycles, replacing the current paper-based safety standards certificate inspection.

DriveON will begin rolling out to stations in the MVIS program in February 2023. The rollout of digital vehicle safety inspections will also support new regulations coming into effect on August 1, 2024, to require commercial motor vehicle owners to provide a current annual or semi-annual safety inspection to register or renew a vehicle licence plate.

MTO anticipates that once fully implemented, DriveON will reduce opportunities for fraud, eliminate paper waste, improve compliance with commercial motor vehicle safety standards, and help protect people and the environment from smog-causing pollutants.

If you have questions about the DriveON program, please visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/driveon-emissions-and-safety-inspection-program or contact us at cvor@ontario.ca .

Thank you.

^^^^FROM THERE WEB SITE^^^^^^^^^^^^

92redragtop
03-30-2022, 02:35 PM
When it was announced earlier this year the regular testing was supposed to apply to commercial vehicles only, and the changes that apply to passenger vehicles are related to safety inspections (there'll be a digital versus paper certificate issued). That said, there will be some way for them to clawback the rebates, etc (higher traffic fines, etc?)...notwithstanding the announced increase in speed limit to 110KM on some Ontario highways.

Old Fart
03-30-2022, 04:16 PM
RE: Ministry of Transportation - DriveON

To Whom It May Concern

I would like to share an update on the Ministry of Transportation’s (MTO) work to modernize Ontario’s Motor Vehicle Inspection Station (MVIS) program and integrate vehicle safety and emissions inspections in a single program.

This spring, Ontario will introduce DriveON, a new digital vehicle safety and emissions inspection program that will modernize and streamline the vehicle safety and emissions inspection process for station owners and vehicle owners. This new program will also enable a new “one test, one result” for vehicle safety inspections and heavy diesel commercial motor vehicle emissions testing that will reduce vehicle down time. Owners who previously chose to have safety and emissions inspections on their heavy diesel commercial motor vehicles performed separately will still have the option to do so.

On June 4, 2021, MTO awarded Parsons Inc., a third-party service provider, a contract to develop the digital platform to deliver the DriveON program. MTO has developed a four-phase implementation strategy to transition stations currently participating in Ontario’s emission testing and/or MVIS programs to DriveON’s new Vehicle Inspection Centre (VIC) model. This transition will begin with stations delivering heavy diesel commercial motor vehicle emissions testing in April 2022.

To maintain business continuity, MTO will transition stations in phases over the next two years. In Fall/Winter 2022-23, the DriveON will expand to include digital safety standards certificate inspections for cars, light-duty trucks, and motorcycles, replacing the current paper-based safety standards certificate inspection.

DriveON will begin rolling out to stations in the MVIS program in February 2023. The rollout of digital vehicle safety inspections will also support new regulations coming into effect on August 1, 2024, to require commercial motor vehicle owners to provide a current annual or semi-annual safety inspection to register or renew a vehicle licence plate.

MTO anticipates that once fully implemented, DriveON will reduce opportunities for fraud, eliminate paper waste, improve compliance with commercial motor vehicle safety standards, and help protect people and the environment from smog-causing pollutants.

If you have questions about the DriveON program, please visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/driveon-emissions-and-safety-inspection-program or contact us at cvor@ontario.ca .

Thank you.

^^^^FROM THERE WEB SITE^^^^^^^^^^^^

What I got from that is electronic safety for cars, light duty trucks, motorcycles and heavy diesel commercial. Then annual inspections for heavy diesel commercial in 2024? Are they not doing annual inspections already for commercial vehicles?

ChickenLips
03-30-2022, 04:19 PM
just got $240

I figure this will probably cost me about $500 in additional taxes, admin, and alternative revenue generators.

I'd better spend it on fuel today before tomorrow's hike.

5.4MarkVIII
03-30-2022, 04:25 PM
What I got from that is electronic safety for cars, light duty trucks, motorcycles and heavy diesel commercial. Then annual inspections for heavy diesel commercial in 2024? Are they not doing annual inspections already for commercial vehicles?

Yes our work trucks require a yearly inspection.

Hotford
03-30-2022, 04:50 PM

Correct annuals and semi annuals. this has never changed for commercial vehicles

mavrrrick
03-31-2022, 05:13 PM
Yay…. I got gas money!!!

StAnger
03-31-2022, 08:00 PM
According to this article the annual inspection is a myth, but it's The Star so take it with a huge grain of salt.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/03/31/debunking-vehicle-registration-myths.html

mavrrrick
04-01-2022, 07:53 AM
So no inspections or exhaust check?

ChickenLips
04-01-2022, 08:03 AM
if you're fleeing the province keep in mind each province has different rules. The new Ontario rules may make some modifications tempting, but could also make licensing in another province difficult or impossible.