PDA

View Full Version : Fox ride quality dbl adjust shocks

m_owing
03-15-2022, 04:40 PM
1988 mustang. Stock k member and control arms. MM caster camber plates, oem shocks, sportline springs

On any bumpy road the ride quality is terrible. One day I’d like to get tubular control arms and go coil over but not happening in the near future. I keep looking at koni double adjustable shocks, 8742 1121. I’m thinking the benefits are that they can be dialed in for a comfy road setup and also adjusted for a stiff track setup.

But holy, it’s $1,000 for a pair of fronts!
Anyone have specific experience with these? Any other options to improve the drivability?

ZR
03-15-2022, 05:51 PM
Can help you out a ton on that subject, had every combo under the sun in my Cobra.
My suggestion, Koni dbl adjustable struts with MM coil overs and MM lower arms but since budgets are budgets moving to just a set of Koni dbl adj with your current set up would make a huge difference (dont' be tempted to by s/a, not even in the same league as the d/a version). Cool part, you've already got them for the day your able to add an MM coil over kit into the mix.

1BAD92LX
03-15-2022, 06:31 PM
100% worth getting the best you can afford. Cheaper doing it right once.
I have koni d/a front and rear

Zippy
03-15-2022, 06:31 PM
Koni double adjustable shocks are worth the coin. Have them on front and rear of my car. You can actually feel a difference going from click to click on the compression settings. (on coilovers)

m_owing
03-15-2022, 08:11 PM
ZR and Zippy I remember you talking about them a couple summers ago when I saw you. I’ve also read when you post about them it’s definitely the way to go, though I’m not sure how much lapping my fox will be doing. I just want to be comfortable driving through Toronto’s finest roads. It’s not just budget that’s holding me back from the full front end overhaul, it’s the lack of my own workspace. A pair of shocks is a pretty quick job solo.

100% worth getting the best you can afford. Cheaper doing it right once.
I have koni d/a front and rear

You had something else last year right? I remember talking to you about your setup I don’t remember d/a.

Gabe
03-15-2022, 08:27 PM
In my fox, have Koni’s DA with MM coilovers, MM control arms and MM k-member. Very pleased with it. Would highly recommend doing what you can to work towards this setup. Fantastic road manners or track laps

1BAD92LX
03-15-2022, 08:56 PM
You had something else last year right? I remember talking to you about your setup I don’t remember d/a.
I had Bilstien HD form MM. They were not rated for the spring rate I wanted to use.

ZR
03-15-2022, 11:35 PM
The D/A are not only best for the track, absolute best for the street.

RAT ATK
03-16-2022, 07:51 AM
For a great street ride and handling without breaking the bank. Throw some Bilsteins on there. Koni DA are overkill on a street car. Everyone (almost everyone) here running Koni loved their Bilsteins until they wanted to run big spring rates for the track.

I just happen to have a couple of Bilstein struts if you’re interested lol.

RedSN
03-16-2022, 08:29 AM
1988 mustang. Stock k member and control arms. MM caster camber plates, oem shocks, sportline springs
Another vote for Bilsteins for the above combo. They will handle the spring rate of the Sportlines just fine. Even when/if you upgrade control arms and go to coil-overs. It’s what I run. Rides fine on the street, and holds it’s own on the track. As mentioned, the Bilsteins will limit the amount of spring you can run, but not an issue unless you go with really heavy springs.

ZR
03-16-2022, 10:21 AM
Best way I can sum up the difference. Last couple of years, we've done several combos where it's a 100% spirited street cruiser with conservative spring rates focused more on ride quality. While Bilsteins provide their usual good but firmish ride and excellent control, with same springs they fall well short of a Koni D/A. Does that make the Bilsteins a bad choice, absolutely not but if the budget will allow the upgrade you'll never regret it.

1BAD92LX
03-16-2022, 03:57 PM
One thing not mentioned yet, is the Sportline springs. Could be the springs contributing to the harsh ride also.
I dont think you NEED coil overs to get a good ride. (it does help obviously)
I'd maybe suggest Bilstiens and MM road and track springs for a best of both worlds?

Mustang4
03-16-2022, 06:17 PM
On my 91 Fox 5L I have the Bilstein HDs all around and love them on any surface.

Car has Steeda long frame connectors, MM castor plates, Eibach sport springs and sway bars, Ford racing front control arms MM caster camber plates, K member and strut tower brace as well rear MM lower control arms, Ford Racing upper control arms and MM Panhard bar, finished of with all MM stainless steel brake hoses and fittings to full 2004 Cobra disc brake setup.

Gabe
03-16-2022, 06:56 PM
in agreement that I run very high spring rates with my DA's

Zippy
03-16-2022, 07:10 PM
Other options to improve drivability would be rear lower arms
MM Rack bushings (pretty cheap mod for gain)

m_owing
03-17-2022, 10:25 AM
Thanks again everyone. Rack bushings are a good suggestion, I’ve already replaced the rear lower control arms.

Frankie
03-17-2022, 12:13 PM
Since we're talking about a Fox with stock K and control arms - have you replaced the control arm bushings?

Can have the best shocks and springs money can buy but if the foundation is 35 years old it will still ride like a tractor.

m_owing
03-17-2022, 12:21 PM
Sigh. I got ahead of myself. Car is still in storage but I wanted get a jump on the season. I’d been meaning to pressure test the cooling system (got stuck in traffic last fall and it got really hot) and I have a leak smh

Lost 4-5 psi in 12 hours but also left coolant on the ground. Can’t see where from until I take it out of storage.

I’m assuming I’ll need to throw some money and time at this problem so I’m going to hold off on the suspension upgrade until then.

Your advice has been incredibly valuable and I’ll remember it all when the time comes.

ZR
03-17-2022, 01:45 PM
Best get on as early as possible, parts are even more of a bastard to get this year vs last, nothing but backorders.

m_owing
07-18-2023, 03:57 PM
Resurrected for an update:

I'm now Koni on all 4 corners. Double adjustable front (koni yellow, 8742 1121S) and str.t rear (Koni orange, 8050 1033). Budget wouldn't allow me to go DA all around at this time. I went with this setup for a few reasons: not a lot of dampers seem to be tailor made for the eibach sportlines I have in front, except adjustable. But the str.t are rated for the eibach pro kit I have in rear. The str.t have been said to feel like the adjustable on the softest setting and this car is a cruiser for the time being. And the oranges were on sale!

Honestly so far on the softest setting the car still 'clunks' on road bumps and cracks. Must be the heavy spring rate and perhaps bushings and other things everyone mentioned. Overall I'm happy I did this.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

ZR
07-19-2023, 07:45 AM
My take, you have the best of the best struts on the front combined with some of the very worst shocks on the back. Sorry but think the spring combo will never work, yes regardless of what the internet says. Front, MM coil over kit combined with your struts will transform the car in both feel, handling and ride. Rear, do the same on a D/A Koni and C/O kit. Next, MM lower front arms plus rears Ross suggest (which also means you can ditch quad shocks) will take car to a whole other level.
From pic, looks like end link is not tight enough.

m_owing
07-19-2023, 02:49 PM
with some of the very worst shocks on the back.

budget cuts unfortunately.

From pic, looks like end link is not tight enough.
tq specs say 10-12 foot lbs. That seemed low but that's what I did. They're also brand new prothanes meant for lowered mustangs.

I have whiteline rear lower arms. #quadshocksforlife!

The spring combo was sort of a hand-me-down situation, I will upgrade in the future to something more intentional.

ZR
07-19-2023, 05:08 PM
^ Mint.